Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HED vs Zipp
Quote | Reply
I currently have HED 9 front and HED disc both clinchers. Would a Zipp 808 and Zipp 9 disc clincher combo be better? Both wheelsets are from around 2012.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: HED vs Zipp [brett13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope probably not unless it’s an even switch cost wise.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better in what respect? In some yes, in others no. Both sets should be about the same speed. Zipp 808 in front should be better to handle in the wind. HED should offer better braking. Zipp disc should be stiffer (and sound better when putting in big watts, but that's just me).

Overall, its probably a tie between the two, so I would stick with "never change a running system", and certainly not spend too much money on a potential switch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brett13 wrote:
I currently have HED 9 front and HED disc both clinchers. Would a Zipp 808 and Zipp 9 disc clincher combo be better? Both wheelsets are from around 2012.
Thanks

Definitely not. You could move to the newer Zipp and get better braking and marginal improvement if any improvement in aero. With HED you could move to the HED JET+ and get a wider rim and even better braking with their JET+ Black etched brake track.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I think the old Zipp 808 was a little less sensitive to tire width than the old Hed 9 fronts. So if you insist on a front tire wider than 20C, go with the Zipp front. The Hed disk is superior to the Zipp disk with any tire (I did a fair amount of testing of this back in the day).

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I currently race a HED Jet 9/HED Jet disc and don't find it to be any different than my old 808 FC/950 disc setup. Except that 950 is awesome in regards to weight!

The deciding factor for me was that, in a garage full of wheels with aluminum brake tracks, I wanted my race wheels to be same.

I don't think this is a worthwhile upgrade that you're considering. Keep the Jets and keep rocking!
Quote Reply
Re: HED vs Zipp [gfzyriek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the responses. I have been very satisfied with my HED wheelset and have put some good times on them, 4:45 Ironman bike split. I will just stick with my wheels and keep pushing my upper limits.
Thanks again!
Quote Reply