Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: We all know that 90RPM is rubbish, but what about... [lemos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]What if we try to dial in the cycling cadence by using our running cadence as reference[/quote]

FFS it's been discussed about 75x on here. I'm pretty sure Coggan has answered you exact question at least 15x, at least

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: We all know that 90RPM is rubbish, but what about... [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
lyrrad wrote:
Oh for frucks sake, why does this shit keep coming up.
Just run, your body will find it's own natural cadence.

This is what happens when engineers dominate a sport.
There may be a little truth to this but I suspect although engineers may have made these discussions common on ST, it's not the engineers who do it badly..... except H2O (but I think he was a software quality "engineer")
Quote Reply
Re: We all know that 90RPM is rubbish, but what about... [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:

.... except H2O (but I think he was a software quality "engineer")

Thank you for putting that in "air quotes." Very few things chap my hide more than the dumbification of the term "engineer". Everybody wants to be an "engineer" whether they have the chops or not.
Quote Reply
Re: We all know that 90RPM is rubbish, but what about... [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

Thank you for putting that in "air quotes." Very few things chap my hide more than the dumbification of the term "engineer". Everybody wants to be an "engineer" whether they have the chops or not.
I'm with you there.
You don't see many people going around calling themselves doctors or lawyers without the qualifications to back it up. But idiot employers live calling people engineers. I mostly see it with US multi-nationals here in Ireland but it's not confined to them. I was once asked my occupation by my doctor and when I said I was an engineer she said "Ok, so you work fixing cars?"

If you want any recognition as an engineer, go to Korea or Japan!
Quote Reply
Re: We all know that 90RPM is rubbish, but what about... [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Yes, this needs more velotron.

Also, I can tell a lot of the tri folks in here have never bike raced. There's a really really big reason those guys hold 90rpm and 100rpm when they do. If it's lost on you why they do that, then you don't need to worry about it.

There might be a reason cyclists hold 90-100rpm when they do. However, this isn’t cycling, but rather triathlon. Having to run well, especially for an extended period of time after cycling, changes things.

Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
You don't see many people going around calling themselves doctors or lawyers without the qualifications to back it up. But idiot employers live calling people engineers.

For years I've told people "I'm not an engineer, I just play one at work"...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: We all know that 90RPM is rubbish, but what about... [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

Like the "engineer" at a hotel when you need a new light bulb -- It's ok to be a maintenance worker. I went to a lot of school and took damn hard exams for the right to practice as a Professional Engineer.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: We all know that 90RPM is rubbish, but what about... [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

Like the "engineer" at a hotel when you need a new light bulb -- It's ok to be a maintenance worker. I went to a lot of school and took damn hard exams for the right to practice as a Professional Engineer.

You drive a train? That's awesome!!

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: We all know that 90RPM is rubbish, but what about... [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbradley11 wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
Yes, this needs more velotron.

Also, I can tell a lot of the tri folks in here have never bike raced. There's a really really big reason those guys hold 90rpm and 100rpm when they do. If it's lost on you why they do that, then you don't need to worry about it.

There might be a reason cyclists hold 90-100rpm when they do. However, this isn’t cycling, but rather triathlon. Having to run well, especially for an extended period of time after cycling, changes things.

You're right. That's why I said "those guys" in reference to cyclists vs triathlon.

The stuff someone posted earlier about being able to jump on attack or respond was part of it. The other is that if you have something like multiple timed climbs in a fondo or something, let's say, you'd want to stress the CV system instead of grinding 60rpm up each climb.

For my knowledge, why would one cadence on a bike affect your running cadence? If we ignore whatever physiology we're stressing (CV vs. muscular).

I'd like to learn.
Quote Reply
Re: We all know that 90RPM is rubbish, but what about... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

You drive a train? That's awesome!!

"play with", sir. not "drive".

"HO scale: half the size, twice the fun!"
Quote Reply
Re: We all know that 90RPM is rubbish, but what about... [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. That would assume that taller people always have longer stride lengths, which is not true. Stride length is mostly determined by strength of propulsion, not length of legs :-)
Quote Reply
Re: We all know that 90RPM is rubbish, but what about... [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I’m 6’4”and have a 180 cadence, but I’m just a 19-20 minute 5k guy. Little baby steps...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

Hey! When I was 16 (back in the modern stone age), I was a highly qualified "retail petroleum distribution engineer" And, damn proud of it. (that's a fib, mostly, I was embarrassed - I did feel slightly better than my peers who were sous chef's at fast food dining establishments). But, I do like a cadence of 90 RPM's.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply

Prev Next