Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bontrager Aeolus XXX
Quote | Reply
anyone racing on these? Thoughts? Feedback? It looks like the Trek sponsored pros are still riding the older Aeolus model (D3 5,7 and 9).
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Aeolus XXX [b.will] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be surprised if many of them even existed in the wild yet. They were released very recently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also curious to hear! I'd be interested to see how well the new "laser etched braking surface" does in wet conditions

Road Bikes, Tri Bikes, Mtn Bikes, I love biking!
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Aeolus XXX [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
about a month and half? don't pros usually get them around the same time as the release announcement or right before. thought i coudn't hurt to ask if anyone had any experience yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They do but, personally, I wouldn't trust the word of a sponsored pro. That's just kind of a blanket policy of mine. I'd wait for someone like Thomas Gerlach, who buys his own equipment and tests it on his own dime, to chime in. That said, Bontrager makes a pretty good wheel. I tend to believe their aero claims and when they first released their OCLV rims they released a video of the destructive testing on them which was... impressive. I can't find that video now unfortunately. Their hubs are usually pretty good too. The only thing I personally wouldn't buy into is their claims for their brake track. It's probably better than a regular carbon brake track but not as good as something like Zipp's NSW brake track (or an aluminum brake track for that matter).
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Aeolus XXX [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There’s a pair of xxx tubies on ebay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m riding the new xxx clinchers 50mm. They feel really fast and the braking is definitely a lot better than my old Aeolus 5 and Zipp firecrest 404’s. I’m really impressed by the brake track and won’t think twice about using them in the rain.

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the first Giro stages, they had the new XXX on their bikes.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My team's XXX order just came in and I tried out the 4's yesterday. The braking is much improved over the older versions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of the XXX 2 wheels for training, not racing. I have not ridden them in the rain but on hills they climb very well. They are stiff and I feel no flexing and that is with the weight of a 225lb rider. I ordered a set of the XXX6 wheels so once I get those I will report how those are in comparison to the 7's.

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Aeolus XXX [ttx_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttx_tri wrote:
I have a set of the XXX 2 wheels for training, not racing. I have not ridden them in the rain but on hills they climb very well. They are stiff and I feel no flexing and that is with the weight of a 225lb rider. I ordered a set of the XXX6 wheels so once I get those I will report how those are in comparison to the 7's.

Did you ever get the Aeolus XXX 6 wheels? I am curious to hear your feedback if you did.
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Aeolus XXX [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I gor a set. They are great. Eyes closed could not say they feel/perform different than enves.
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Aeolus XXX [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a reason they don’t have a xxx 9? I read the “white paper” report they published and the only thing I see is that the xxx 6 is faster than their previous 70mm.
Also DBF please don’t ride with your eyes closed. That’s not safe.

Instagram or twitter me softly @xatefrogg
Quote Reply