Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in prize money! [BrandonZelfer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in prize money! [Signal8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on all this (except I've gotten a little under 5000' gain on the bike course). I've raced it the last 3 years and love it.

Camping nearby is super convenient and I haven't had trouble getting a site fairly last-minute, ha. As mentioned, you can park right there near transition, but the camping is walking or riding distance if you go that route. The morning can be cold up there in the north at elevation, but you'll warm up quick on the bike unless it's unusually cold like the year that Brandon mentioned.

You start the ride uphill and then have a loooong, winding, fun descent to the 13mi mark and your average could be over 30mph at that point, then the real climbing begins and you'll watch that average dwindle. Then you do that lap again, so it's wise to be conservative early on. The course is very dynamic and you will not get bored. The only minor downside I've encountered is that the road is open to traffic, which is understandable, but there is a small chance you could get caught behind an RV or tour bus during the descent. If that happens, take in the scenery and laugh about it, it's a great course. For the performance or numbers focused, my best time on this ride is 23 minutes slower than my personal best 70.3 bike.

After the long climb to finish the second lap, you turn the opposite direction and climb a bit more, but then have a descent to T2 to prep yourself for the run. I've gotten around 700' elevation gain on the 2x out and back run, and I've found it more difficult on the way out, which is better than the other way around! My best run here is around 6min slower than my PB for 70.3.

Bottom line - it's beautiful, low key, fun, no frills, and challenging.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in prize money! [BrandonZelfer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply

Prev Next