Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What is "Free Speed"
Quote | Reply
Ok, you hear the word all the time, and we have a basic understanding of examples but what exactly is "free speed"? To me it's an increase in velocity for little to no money or effort. For example, elastic laces save you close to a minute, and require no special amount of training and are just a few dollars.

To me, "Free Speed" has to cost less than $40, cost very little effort maybe less than a total hour of training, or if it does break one of the previously mentioned rules it must be training and money you were spending anyhow. Otherwise it's not really free. If you say I lost 25lbs that was a lot of effort, it took countless sacrifices, a few hangries, and a lifestyle change. Same with hard training. That's a result of hard work not "Free" speed. I always find it ironic when a free speed thread comes up and the first thing a person mentions is a $700 upgrade. So what does free speed mean to others?

Some examples of free speed
Shaving takes 5 minutes
Smooth transitions take a weekend
Speed laces cost just a few bucks
BTA cost othing
BTS if not BTA nothing if your saddle comes with attachment
Latex tubes $26 (actually less since you need tubes anyway)
Clean gears
Waxed chain

Boarder line
Race tires on race day, cheap tires for training- more expensive at first but in time actually saves money

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Free Speed" [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in the bizarre world of triathlon, 'free' speed is that which only costs you thousands of dollars and a few trips to the bike shop.

dimpled socks? sign me up!
twelve hours installing that Di2 cabling with a coat hook and a caulking gun and a hairdryer? yes please!
aero pedals? where have you been all my life!

on the other hand, the speed you get from walking straight out your front door and jogging to the end of the street is not free. it is costly.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alas I think most people use it to mean physically effortless rather than monetarily free. It's a dumb usage as you note, but mostly people are talking about purchased improvements in weight or aero. Personally I prefer to call it "bought" speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Free" doesn't necessarily mean money. Free means energy. No additional work or power done by you. No need to train harder or get better. Simply buy something that will magically make you go faster through no effort of your own. That's the free part.

Interestingly enough, it seems as though the best "free" speed items are also typically the cheapest and easiest to purchase.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought "free" speed meant, no additional training involved to get faster =)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Free Speed" isn't free, c'mon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me, free means free. It's stuff you already have, just using it in a smarter way, or isn't "stuff", but strategies that simplify your race. e.g. properly laying out your transition area, cleaning your bike and properly inflating tyres, having a good position, cleaning your chain before lubing it, etc. That's free speed. They are things that take very little effort and money.

a pair of Zipp's aren't free speed. ceramic bearings aren't free speed.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, coming from a roadie, it means things you do that don't cost you NEW and permanent equipment. So the below is for that, not a TT bike.

Free: When it's time for tires, get GP4000 s2's instead
Not free: Owning both GP4000's and time trial specific tires (what I do)

Free: Next time you buy a kit, buy the "team" fit, not the flappy kind
Not free: Skinsuit

Free: Proper psi in the tires
Free: Flip that stem and get the damn spacers out of there and learn to ride a more aggressive position
Free: Learning to stay in an aero bar tuck in more corners
Free: Shave legs
Free: Do a few pushups so you can hold yourself up in an aero position on a road bike
Free: Properly clean, inspect, and lubricate your bike regularly......don't lose 15w everyday to a gummy chain and drivetrain
Free: Instead of blowing $4000 on a hi-mod carbon frame with Di2, just settle for the normal carbon model and 105 but bother to lose the 20lbs of spare tire you still have

I'm going to seriously advocate for the weight one. I got stronger pretty quick with more formalized training, but the "speed" really catapulted once I was about 10 to 20lb lighter than club mates at a similar or higher power. Particularly on any hill longer than 2 minutes long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ceramic speed oversized pulley wheels 😂😂
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Free Speed" [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Ceramic speed oversized pulley wheels 😂😂

If I were a lottery winner, I'd get some. And one of those crazy KMC coated chains.

But, Ceramic Speed pulleys are pretty much a bling cock ring for your bike.
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Free Speed" [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BlackStumpGumby wrote:
Alas I think most people use it to mean physically effortless rather than monetarily free. It's a dumb usage as you note, but mostly people are talking about purchased improvements in weight or aero. Personally I prefer to call it "bought" speed.

Yeah, I like that distinction...
costs money - "bought speed" - ex: disc wheel
free or very cheap - "free speed" - ex: clean chain or speed laces
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still can't believe the number of people who take the time in T1 to put on their bike shoes and then slowly trot through transition to the bike mount. You don't need to know how or do a "flying squirrel" to mount the bike in your bare feet. But having your shoes rubber banded to your bike and learning how to get up to speed pedaling on top of your shoes before strapping them on and unstrapping just before the dismount and running barefoot into T2 saves considerable time and is totally "free".
Quote Reply