Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Snack Time [Cptnemo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I eat 2 pieces of fruit (Banana, Pear, Tangerine, Mango, Plum, etc) and a protein whey shake. In the evening I'll have a Greek yogurt to help with digestion and tummy health a couple hours before bedtime.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Snack Time [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Lately my work snack has been to bring in an egg, slice of cheese and an English muffin. 5 minutes in the staff kitchen with the toaster and microwave, and I have an egg mcmuffin. Delish!!

You're that guy bringing eggs in to the office. I bet you also crack a can of tuna on airplanes after spraying yourself down with axe too.

I'm joking. I boil a ton of eggs on Sunday night and bring them as snacks through the week.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cptnemo wrote:
RCCo wrote:
Sometimes i give up trying to be sensible and just have a massive bowl of (cold) porridge at my desk. Yum!

That sounds like a party right there!

Yep, the old days of 3 pints of lager for lunch were much more fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Snack Time [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Lately my work snack has been to bring in an egg, slice of cheese and an English muffin. 5 minutes in the staff kitchen with the toaster and microwave, and I have an egg mcmuffin. Delish!!

You're that guy bringing eggs in to the office. I bet you also crack a can of tuna on airplanes after spraying yourself down with axe too.

I'm joking. I boil a ton of eggs on Sunday night and bring them as snacks through the week.

Absolutely! sometimes I'll bring in salt cod leftovers too. everyone loves the smell of day-old fish being reheated.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hard boiled eggs w/ a cheese stick

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a ton of ideas!

http://saddesklunch.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
purchased jerky is stupid expensive. I make my own. Has not taken long to recoup the price of the new dehydrator.

other suggestions have been great as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Snack Time [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lately I've started taking an apple with some almond butter smeared on it. Sounds like an odd combo, but its really tasty. If you order the little single serve packs (http://shop.justins.com/...c=Justins@NutButters) of almond butter from Amazon, its super easy and no cleanup too.

Apples last a long time in the fridge and the single serve packets require no spoon/knife or anything. Its been a winner for me lately and better than the pretzels/cheesy poofs/candy that are available in the break room.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
prefersdirt wrote:
purchased jerky is stupid expensive. I make my own. Has not taken long to recoup the price of the new dehydrator.

How much of pain/hassle is it to make jerky? I don't even know where to begin with something like that. wouldn't mind the challenge though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nut butters, dried fruit (think fruit of normal sugar and much more and well good to not use much) , and nuts are easy way to drop calories

Cottage cheese the good culture one is great, not a bunch of random crap in it with a little bit of fruit is a great snack

Apple and powdered peanut butter (use milk or water to make paste) I buy this on amazon since cheaper and unlike PB2 it doenst add sugar
Quote Reply
Re: Snack Time [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't stand plain cottage cheese so what I do is to add a packet of zero calorie jelly crystals to a tub of cottage cheese. Makes it a delicious, sweet pudding with no extra damage.
Quote Reply
Re: Snack Time [TIT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TIT wrote:
I can't stand plain cottage cheese so what I do is to add a packet of zero calorie jelly crystals to a tub of cottage cheese. Makes it a delicious, sweet pudding with no extra damage.

Try to find the Good Culture brand. It is by far the best tasting on the market and has a great texture to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cptnemo wrote:
prefersdirt wrote:

How much of pain/hassle is it to make jerky? I don't even know where to begin with something like that. wouldn't mind the challenge though.

It is getting easier. First time took quite a while. Now I can do it pretty quickly. Buying a slicing rig ($20) really saved me time. Then I bought a nice dehydrator that I am still working on getting drying times right. (The new one has really reduced the drying time and I can do more at once). You can dry in the oven though it takes longer. Decent way to experiment.

I still buy curing kits as I don't have energy to develop my own right now. Eventually.

If you want to pursue this a little I can post links to what I use when I get on a computer. (iPod now)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
prefersdirt wrote:
Cptnemo wrote:
prefersdirt wrote:

It is getting easier. First time took quite a while. Now I can do it pretty quickly. Buying a slicing rig ($20) really saved me time. Then I bought a nice dehydrator that I am still working on getting drying times right. (The new one has really reduced the drying time and I can do more at once). You can dry in the oven though it takes longer. Decent way to experiment.

I still buy curing kits as I don't have energy to develop my own right now. Eventually.

If you want to pursue this a little I can post links to what I use when I get on a computer. (iPod now)

That would be AWESOME! Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Snack Time [plumber250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plumber250 wrote:
1x Face Gk Yog (2%)
1x Punnet Raspberries

230calories.

Sets me up for the afternoon.

My n=1 - avoid the sugar added yogurts that are low in calories - those thing have a ton of crap in them to make them taste good and have all the good fat taken out. Face, or other pure Gk yog and a small amount of a sweetner (fruit/honey etc) of choice is a better bet

Thanks for the reminder and heads up on that. I am very good at limiting my sugar take everywhere else in my diet. That being said, its crazy how a little here and there can change your waistline too!
Quote Reply
Re: Snack Time [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
djhuff7 wrote:
tlc13 wrote:
ok, I will say it. Vending machine... grandma cookies.

I need to eat better for snacking, and this thread is giving me some ideas.

But the cheapskate in me sees that $1.00 Snikers bar (250cal) or Nutty Bars (0.80 and 450cal) as better bang for the buck. Of course all those calories are fat and sugar, but sooooo tasty.

I am all for some good quality cookies! But as for expense, there are so many good and healthy snacks out there for cheap as well.

A bunch of different fruit is cheap (apples, bananas, oranges etc.) of course this is provided you portion control and don't consume the whole bushel in a sitting.

Not to mention I was just at Wally World and many of the Greek yogurts were right at a $1. Much better bang for your buck than that candy bar.

I get it though, the sugar calls and it hard. Solider on my friend!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That comment was sort of tongue in cheek. I know there are other options that are cost effective, I know the candy is shit.

Biggest challenge is here at work, the "good" bars / yogurt / fruit are actually quite expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cptnemo wrote:
prefersdirt wrote:
Cptnemo wrote:
prefersdirt wrote:

That would be AWESOME! Thank you!

The slicer is the
Shop-Ezy Stainless Steel Jerky Maker Cutting Board With 10-Inch Professional Slicing and Carving Knife

This gets the meat cut to the same thickness. Cut the meat when it is just partially frozen -- not quite solid, but not just fridge temp. Makes slicing easier.

I bought an Excalibur dehydrator based on recommendations from others. Lots more $$$ but I believe in crying once. (I had borrowed a cheap one to try making jerky before spending the $ on one).

I keep trying different curing packets but so far I like the PS Seasonings and Spice kit best.

The hardest part is trimming off the silverskin from the cuts of meat. I do some before slicing with the jerky cutting board, then finish afterwards. Depends on what I see as being easier. Slice it. Then slice again so the meat is about 1/4" on each side (5-8mm). You can buy a slicer to this for you if you like, but I have not spent that $. Put seasoning/cure solution over it and let it soak overnight / up to 24 hours. Stirring/mixing periodically as time allows. Put in dryer. Last batch was 8 hours and was overdone. Previous dryer took 12 hours.

HTH. Let me know if you need more info.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of these suggestions are like entire meals for me 😮

I’m one of those people at work who is constantly eating and caught eating by my colleagues so I snack throughout the day ...

My go tos at the moment are honey roasted macadamia nuts (or any nut that’s honey roasted). I’ve got a huge stash of dark choc that I keep in my drawer which is replenished whenever it goes on sale, ripened bananas (also in my drawer aka the food pantry) and if I’m really desperate for something salty I’ll splurge on a packet of potato chips from work’s vending machine. Doing it this way stops me from eating it all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Snack Time [snail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sounds like sugary high cal snacks, think more about adding some volume with less cals to balance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few mentioned yoghurt ... I eat quark which tends to have a bit more protein and tastes good (especially with some fruit and muesli). This is the brand that I use (plain style is less sugary than the vanilla or berry options). There are different brands in other countries.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/...uark-natural-yoghurt
Quote Reply
Re: Snack Time [Trimeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup the sweet tooth rules every day! At work now we are snacking on home made pate and crackers, which means I’ve had to double my training sesshies x2. Surprisingly all my bad eating habits have not turned me into a beluga whale ... yet ...
Quote Reply
Re: Snack Time [snail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guilty pleasure is a small bag of smart pop popcorn

otherwise - NO SNACKING.
Quote Reply
Re: Snack Time [Peterszew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7:30 am:I eat oatmeal with protein powder and fresh blueberries and raspberries for breakfast

10:30 am: 2 boiled eggs and a 15g protein bar that has only 5g sugar. I get them from Aldi.

12 pm: lunch

2 pm: Oikos triple 0 Greek yogurt, 15g protein and only 5-6g sugar. Fresh fruit usually apple or banana.

5-6 pm: dinner.

I also snack on pistachios or sunflower seeds throughout the day as well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next