Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Son of Slowman? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
God I must be bored,

So I found the league http://www2.walnutponybaseball.net/pages/agedivisions

they have a 3-4 yr old group
FOAL
  • This division is comprised of players who are 3 and 4 years of age.

• An early introduction to baseball aimed at promoting teamwork and developing an interest in baseball.

• A softer baseball is used to help protect players from injury.

• A Pitching Machine is used.

• No outs or scores are kept.

• No tryouts are held.

• Games take place once a week at Creekside Park.

So no outs or score kept, so many bat an inning???

Oh good god why don't I stop, so I found the league FB page, and a link to an article by the local paper. Makes it sound like they somehow take turns running to home. The article says when it became his turn to run home the coach said ...

Seems odd to me.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Last edited by: DavHamm: May 8, 18 19:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do we know that it was a complete and utter fail by all adults there? Its just a snapshot. We have no idea what happened after, whether there was any lesson taught, etc. What would you have preferred? The coach came out to usher him home. Should he have done more at that particular moment? Should he have torn him a new one right then and there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Youth sports is supposed to be about learning teamwork and good sportsmanship. None of that was displayed in the video. The kid certainly needs a little direction, which does not seem to be provided here. I am dumbfounded by anyone who does not see this as a complete and utter fail by all the adults present at the time from the parents to the coaches to the umpires.

Any psychologists here on ST? To the ST experts, the ones who get paid to give opinions, does this 3 yr old need a little direction? Is he headed for juvie hall otherwise?
Last edited by: DJFaithful: May 8, 18 22:31
Quote Reply
Re: Son of Slowman? [DJFaithful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For context, I have a 5 year old and a seven year old so I've been to a fair few sports days with very young kids over the last few years. At the age of 3 you see it all - kids who are ultra competitive, kids who will cheat (holding the egg in an egg and spoon race), kids who don't have a competitive bone in their body and are just larking about, kids who are showing off, kids who don't seem to have any grasp of what's going on and just have to be shepherded through it (and not cause they're dumb - a friend's son who is now 7 is super clever, was reading and doing math aged 3 but just didn't "get" sport at that age at all). I really wouldn't read any more into either the kid or the parenting than that he's 3 years old and doing what 3 year olds do!
Quote Reply
Re: Son of Slowman? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting and very odd. I appreciate your boredom because I learned something from it!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
JSA wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
The kid was having fun. It wasn't appropriate, but also, it was just a kid having fun. Maybe he learned if from overly protective parents who treat him as God's gift to earth. Or maybe his parents are as normal as anyone else, and he was "just having fun" doing the kind of shit kids have done for ages.

Rather than tearing him a new one, just provide a little direction.

That this has become some internet battleground over parenting skills, kids these days, or the decline of western civilization is ridiculous.

I agree with nearly everything you said here. But, I also agree with everything jepbv said in this thread.

Youth sports is supposed to be about learning teamwork and good sportsmanship. None of that was displayed in the video. The kid certainly needs a little direction, which does not seem to be provided here. I am dumbfounded by anyone who does not see this as a complete and utter fail by all the adults present at the time from the parents to the coaches to the umpires.

He's 3 yrs old. Lets put some persecptive to this, He will start 1st grade... IN 2 years... He's not even in preschool yet,

Have you people forgot, what a 3yr old is like...

Sorry, I never raised a douche.

The first rule of coaching kids is to coach to their level of cognitive and emotional development. E.g., That's why you don't spend time on passing with kids of this age playing soccer, it's just not something most are ready for. Now you can force a kid to do just about anything but that doesn't mean it's a wise use of time or what's best for the kids development in the sport.

Honestly, 3 year olds playing baseball seems absurd. I thought the kid was at least 4 or 5 and even that was absurd when my kid started out.
Quote Reply
Re: Son of Slowman? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About the only thing I could 'fault' the kid on was when he basically pushed the coach away when they tried to usher them along.

But honestly, it's refreshing to hear parents laughing on the sidelines rather than abusing. Too many parents are all about how great their kids are at sport, school, insert anything else. Stop making everything a competition and just let kids at that age have fun and clown around.
Quote Reply

Prev Next