With no sharks 😜
Quote Reply
Re: A new contender has arrived..... (female pro) [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
mbwallis wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
gazman wrote:
The first three pro women (including Em) were all DQ'd as the bike official leading the women's race had them turn 100m short on the first lap of the run - didn't affect the end result but Liz was awarded the win. .

Per Ironman rules the lead bikes aren't supposed to be lead bikes anymore... they are supposed to stay behind the athletes.

It certainly seems like that would have prevented the problem. Not a great week for Ironman.

As misleading as it may have been regardless it is up to the athlete to know the course.

For sure. When the winner, Renee Baker was dqed from Busselton 70.3 a few years ago for taking an accidental shortcut, that was fair enough. She should have known. This was a last minute course adjustment due to swim cancellation, so perhaps it wasn't crystal clear? It was easy for me as I had guys in front of me. I don't know how big a fuck up it was? I remember a race a few years ago, the bike turnaround and T2 entrance were very confusing and people were going the wrong way. It seemed pretty obvious from the athletes guide, but as you came flying in, gassed all you could see was a myriad of cones and it suddenly wasn't obvious. Perhaps for cases like this a stop/start penalty or an order to run an extra 100m would have been the better option.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: May 7, 18 21:39
Re: A new contender has arrived..... (female pro) [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
gazman wrote:
Wow, tough crowd. I'll think twice before posting in this forum in future. But I do feel compelled (no idea why) to set a few things straight before I sit this one out;
6. Yeah, I'm a guy who has a lot of positives to say about a girl, so we must be dating right? Emily is a close friend and training buddy who is a bloody impressive athlete. Just giving her the kudos she deserves. There is a photo of her on my FB page (trolls) because we've teamed up as a mixed pair in Swimrun racing.

Come on, you gotta give us something (thanks for delivering after some prodding).

This is not a hug-fest here.... We have roasted people way crisper than in this thread.

Please stay. Just jealous and would like to hear more how a partner like that motivates you to race harder.... ooops.
Is this H2oFun under a new alias?
Quote Reply
Re: A new contender has arrived..... (female pro) [gazman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gazman wrote:
Wow, tough crowd. I'll think twice before posting in this forum in future. But I do feel compelled (no idea why) to set a few things straight before I sit this one out;

1. The only point I was making is that Emily had a good pro debut and might be one to watch in the future. I thought we were interested in form guides here. Not for a second am I suggesting she is the next Chrissy. Remember, the overall AG world champ from 2016, took everyone by surprise by coming second in kona 2017. There was a whole thread on here about the male AG winner post kona.

Yup fantastic pro-debut, she has a great future. The only woman to go under 1.30. 10mins faster than Liz B.
I feel for her. Harsh, but fair decision. How old is she BTW?
Quote Reply
Re: A new contender has arrived..... (female pro) [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
mbwallis wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
gazman wrote:
The first three pro women (including Em) were all DQ'd as the bike official leading the women's race had them turn 100m short on the first lap of the run - didn't affect the end result but Liz was awarded the win. .

Per Ironman rules the lead bikes aren't supposed to be lead bikes anymore... they are supposed to stay behind the athletes.

It certainly seems like that would have prevented the problem. Not a great week for Ironman.

As misleading as it may have been regardless it is up to the athlete to know the course.

For sure. When the winner, Renee Baker was dqed from Busselton 70.3 a few years ago for taking an accidental shortcut, that was fair enough. She should have known. This was a last minute course adjustment due to swim cancellation, so perhaps it wasn't crystal clear? It was easy for me as I had guys in front of me. I don't know how big a fuck up it was? I remember a race a few years ago, the bike turnaround and T2 entrance were very confusing and people were going the wrong way. It seemed pretty obvious from the athletes guide, but as you came flying in, gassed all you could see was a myriad of cones and it suddenly wasn't obvious. Perhaps for cases like this a stop/start penalty or an order to run an extra 100m would have been the better option.

Fair call. I am making my statement based on all the crying after people did one loop of the two small loops at the 70.3 worlds at the sunny coast in 2016. Forgot about it being changed to a duathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
mbwallis wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
gazman wrote:

Fair call. I am making my statement based on all the crying after people did one loop of the two small loops at the 70.3 worlds at the sunny coast in 2016. Forgot about it being changed to a duathlon.

Yeah that was a total fuck up. How many people ended up being DQed? It was heaps wasn't it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a few I think around 20. Funny thing was I don't think any self reported, I knew the course was two loops and it was well sign posted...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
It was a few I think around 20. Funny thing was I don't think any self reported, I knew the course was two loops and it was well sign posted...

Yeah I think the organisers had to go after them and identified them because of their crazy ass bike splits. I guess there were a few that flew under the radar though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Video from Busselton 70.3 5.30am

I had to hide in the toilets :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:

Was it the 2nd year straight there was no swim at Busselton?

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Re: A new contender has arrived..... (female pro) [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:
zedzded wrote:

Mate it's been a total fuck up in Western Australia this last 12 months. I've had 5 races converted to duathlons.

Swim cancellations in the last year (that I know of):
busso may - shark
Rotto tri oct - shark
Fremantle - Weather
Busso dec - shark
Hillarys dec - weather
Bunbury Feb - weather
Rotto feb - shark
Rotto march - weather
Busso May - weather
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
salmonsteve wrote:
zedzded wrote:

Mate it's been a total fuck up in Western Australia this last 12 months. I've had 5 races converted to duathlons.

busso may - shark
Rotto tri oct - shark
Fremantle - Weather
Busso dec - shark
Hillarys dec - weather
Bunbury Feb - weather
Rotto feb - shark
Rotto march - weather
Busso May - weather

You've gotta wonder. Ironman can only endorse events for so long with a track record like that. I'd def be thinking hard before pulling the trigger on any race over there!

How's the bike-run form - coming on nicely? hehehe - sorry couldn't resist.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
salmonsteve wrote:
zedzded wrote:

busso may - shark
Rotto tri oct - shark
Fremantle - Weather
Busso dec - shark
Hillarys dec - weather
Bunbury Feb - weather
Rotto feb - shark
Rotto march - weather
Busso May - weather

Why on earth would anyone want to race in OZ after reading this haha
Quote Reply
Re: A new contender has arrived..... (female pro) [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
Had she won legit, she's still only the second biggest female 70.3 breakthrough in the Commonwealth this weekend, with Paula Findlay winning St George against Kessler, Kaye, Wurtele, True, McQuaid, and all...

Ha! Paula was the next big thing in ITU too until she blew herself to bits.
Quote Reply
Re: A new contender has arrived..... (female pro) [gazman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The DQ aside that was a solid pro debut. I see top 10 at Kona as a realistic goal for the future.
Quote Reply
Re: A new contender has arrived..... (female pro) [SankaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SankaCoffee wrote:
zedzded wrote:
salmonsteve wrote:
zedzded wrote:

busso may - shark
Rotto tri oct - shark
Fremantle - Weather
Busso dec - shark
Hillarys dec - weather
Bunbury Feb - weather
Rotto feb - shark
Rotto march - weather
Busso May - weather

Why on earth would anyone want to race in OZ after reading this haha
Ummmm because we live here? They got a bit too over the top cancelling the Ironamns due to a shark sighting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Makes me rethink my training plan for Dec's Western Aus IM. More run, less swim (or practice shark punching).

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: A new contender has arrived..... (female pro) [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mick Fanning had retired so may be up for a coaching gig? Swim course has changed this year swimming along the beach rather than around the jetty where there will be sharks spotted. Have a look at the Ironman website.
Quote Reply

Prev Next