Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Small Frame/650 Wheel Conundrum & Canyon Bikes
Quote | Reply
I’m a small rider at 5’3” and have found that I do best with small frame bikes that have 650c wheels (I don’t want to get into the 650 vs 700 argument, I’ve been riding since 2005, originally as a triathlete then got in endurance cycling after Ironman burnout, and have owned multiple bikes so I’m firm on what works best for me). There are no longer any viable high end road bike options (that I am aware of) available on the market with 650c, so a few years ago I built up an old 2009 Cervelo RS with SRAM Red and eTap. I’ve been itching to get a new road bike for a number of years now but couldn’t find any 650 options. I was excited to see that this year Canyon is offering size 2XS frames with 650b wheelsets on their women’s road bikes (yes I know that 650b and 650c are different). So I was ready to purchase their top end women’s Ulimate model without having ever seen it in person or test riding it, however I wasn’t a fan of the frame color so I asked them if they could swap the frame with another color (same frame that they offered in a lower end build) or if they could sell me the frame color I want so I can build it up on my own to the same specs as their top end model. Their response was:

“We currently only offer complete bikes as spec'd. At this time customization options are not available. We hope to have frame set only options available in the future. Thanks for reaching out and your interest in our brand.”

It seems like it should be simple for them to just swap the frames and sell me the $7000 bike. I’m not going to buy a bike in a color that I detest, so they are losing a potential customer because they won’t do a simple swap or just sell me the color frame I’m interested in. Can anyone offer any insight as to why, is there something I’m missing? Or is anyone aware of other road bikes with 650 wheels (that aren’t low end or kids bikes)? Thanks.

For reference this is the build I want: Ultimate WMN CF SLX Disc 9.0 Team CSR (https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road/ultimate/ultimate-wmn-cf-slx-disc-9-0-team-csr). With the Carbon Blue frame offered in this model: Ultimate WMN CF SLX Disk 8.0 DI2 (https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road/ultimate/ultimate-wmn-cf-slx-disc-8-0-di2).

Elisha
"Triathlon doesn't build character. It reveals it."
Quote Reply
Re: Small Frame/650 Wheel Conundrum & Canyon Bikes [f_ahsile04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elisha,

Good on you for being knowledgeable and specific and going after what you want. Last year Canyon brought me over to Germany to consult with them a bike fitting before the opened the US market. I met with the owner and some other execs and toured their factory. The place and the product is pretty amazing. They have invested heavily in a process where they decide on a spec for a bike, they build that bike, they sell that bike. They are not - at this time - willing to build bikes custom or a customers wishes. To be fair, no other production bike does this; if you wanted a 50cm Cannondale Synaps - that bike comes in one color, has a stem of a certain length on it, has cranks of a certain length on it, one saddle. If you wanted other stuff on that bike you'd have to purchase a different stem, cranks, saddle, or pay to have a third party repaint that bike. This is true for Scott, Specialized etc. etc.(Trek Project One would be the stand out).

If feels like Canyon should be able to build to suit and I'm betting in a couple of years you can order a bike spec'd any way you want and it'll be build for you just as you wish in a couple days time, but their not there yet.

Wish I had better news to deliver.

Ian

PS. No megusta red! I bought a Cervelo S2 years ago (2006?) and it had this red stripe on it. I wanted the bike, hated the color. I paid way too much money and waited way too long to have some Cervelo friendly paint shop make the red stripe blue. The outcome was so good that I'm still riding that bike today, 12 years later because of the money/time put into it. I want a new bike but I'm waiting for something blue-ish that I like. So I totally get where you are coming from.

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Small Frame/650 Wheel Conundrum & Canyon Bikes [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ian,

Thanks, appreciate the insight. The few Canyon bikes that I have seen in person look great and I got really excited about the possibility of getting a new bike, it feels like I've been waiting forever. That Carbon Blue color looks awesome, just don't understand why all high end women's models tend to have pink on them. Alas, guess I'll have to hold out a bit longer or maybe consider converting a tri bike to an aero road bike... I saw a similar thread today on that topic. Thanks again.

Elisha

Elisha
"Triathlon doesn't build character. It reveals it."
Quote Reply