Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Strava Fitness & Freshness Graph
Quote | Reply
Anybody ever use or look at the strava premium feature that graphs your "fitness and freshness"

Wonder what kind of numbers some of the FOP age groupers and professionals are looking at on their profiles.

Going into my 2nd triathlon season I'm looking at numbers of

Cycling: 35 (Power and HR)
Running: 25 (HR)
All activities: 72 (Power and HR)
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Fitness & Freshness Graph [Bigc2137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is interesting. for cycling only, using PM + HR, i'm currently at 54. this is comparable to some of my peaks in training over the years, which doesn't entirely make sense since i'm no where close to where i used to be in terms of fitness - and at that time, i was a borderline FOP athlete. so, idk.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Fitness & Freshness Graph [Bigc2137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read this if you wish to understand my oft-imitated ideas:

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...performance-manager/

Note, however, that Strava's implementation is flawed, in that all stress scores are calculated based on your *current* threshold, instead of what your fitness was at the time. This distorts CTL (misnamed "fitness" by Strava, and often Training Peaks)/ATL (misnamed "fatigue")/TSB, making the approach more of a curiosity than a useful tool.

ETA: Tempting though it might be, I strongly recommend that you do not combine stress scores across sports to create a single chart.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: May 6, 18 17:02
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Fitness & Freshness Graph [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What would be really interesting, and I haven't looked at whether or not it's been attempted/contemplated yet, or even if it's at all possible, is if there was a way to calculate the impact of fatigue crossing over between sports. I'm guessing it would be different for everyone, but some sort of multiplier that could be overlayed to ATL scores cross-sports.

So in effect, CTL is sport specific, ATL is sport specific but also impacted by other sports at a rate specific to the individual?
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Fitness & Freshness Graph [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Addressing that question would require a robust way of quantifying training stress across sports - in other words, a universal stress score (USS).

I actually proposed developing one when the deal that led to WKO4 came together, and even put some effort into validating it. The powers-that-be felt threatened, though, so the idea never went anywhere.

In any case, USS would have just been a stop-gap on the way to predicting/modeling actual adaptation, which is really the goal (whether people realize it or not).
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Fitness & Freshness Graph [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes please! Surely once developed that would corner the entire market? Can't see how that wouldn't be a good proposition from a business sense......
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Fitness & Freshness Graph [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, but I have no input or control over what TP (or anybody else) does.
Quote Reply