Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Olympic distance: how to train in the final week?
Quote | Reply
Intuitively, I'm backing off total volume, but are there any hard and fast rules (or even anecdotes) about training the week before an event (olympic distance, spedifically)? For reference, I train about 10-12 hours per week and I subscribe to a pretty high intensity regimen across disciplines. That is, I rarely train below race pace. Thanks.
Also, please limit the suggestions to the week prior to a race. I already know that most people predominantly train lower training intensities throughout the year. I hate training that way and it hasn't worked for me. Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic distance: how to train in the final week? [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Consider something along these lines. Adjust times for your base. And modify your pre-race day and race day warm-up for your sport preference. Doug

Quote Reply
Re: Olympic distance: how to train in the final week? [djmsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
djmsbr wrote:
Consider something along these lines. Adjust times for your base. And modify your pre-race day and race day warm-up for your sport preference. Doug

That’s pretty good, thanks.
I usually have one rest day (Friday) but other than that pretty similar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
out of curiosity, what was the peak week, and how far out from race day?

the taper needs to be based on training stimulus=how much/how often/what intensity and then the arguments begin about how to best individualize it-even with all the 'training stress balance' info out there

everyone believes that cutting down volume is important but gotta keep a bit of intensity to maintain fitness

you still have to find out what works best for you individually

If peak (t-3wks) is10 hr/week-S2/B5/R3

then taper is something like:
t-2 wks: S1.5/B3/R2.5

t-1 wk: S1/B2/R2 or even less with:
Su R-1hr-with 3miles at tempo
M B-1hr (with first 3 and last 3 miles at faster than race pace)-R-1/2hr (practice transition at T2 with first and last 1/2 mile at race pace)
T S-1/2hr (after w/u-practice start at race pace and hold that for 10 minutes, continue easy swim until last 5 minutes and pick it up to race pace)
W B-3/4hr (with5 miles at faster than race pace)-R1/3hr (with first and last 1/4 mile at race pace)
Thur S-1/3hr (5 min w/u then 10 minutes faster than race pace and 5 min c/d)
Fri B-1/4-EZ-check mechanicals/gears
Sat S-1/4hr-R1/4 hr-EZ-learn the venue and know the directions in/out of transition
Sun-race
Last edited by: dtoce: May 6, 18 15:48
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic distance: how to train in the final week? [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So this is what I had for Cactus Man:

Mon-4.5M run
Tues- 2400m Swim
Wednesday-12 Mile ride
Thurs-3.5M run
Friday-1500m swim
Saturday-nada, walk, bike check in.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic distance: how to train in the final week? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work on a peak week 3 weeks out. The next two weeks I do the same training routine, same intensity but 75% then 50% volume.

Race week I do high intensity intervals of 90 seconds duration. The number of intervals decreases as race day gets closer. No training Friday. One 90 sec interval of each Saturday. Race Sunday.

Works for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic distance: how to train in the final week? [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on race schedule and quality level of race. This was set with two week taper and a 1 week recovery after the race. Moderate distance drops the most. Speed/intensity increases with spurts higher than race pace. Bulk of distance is warm-up, drills, & warm-down which helps the body whether building, recovering, tapering, or racing. Doug

https://www.palmtreesahead.com/
Quote Reply