Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet you he is wrong and someone is feeding him what may be false hope (I hope I am totally wrong). The guy is at the smaller end of the spectrum. The smaller athletes tend to do better at olympic and half and scale up less well to full IM than the heavier guys with notable exceptions being a light guy like Lange...Lange's way on the outlier scale, almost 15 lbs ligher than most past winners. Talansky will need to run closer to Lange than his current self. With his pro tour climbing ability it seems like the engine is there, but he will need to get his 5K time down in the 15 minute range to be competitive with the top guys. I think he's wasting this time racing half IM's....he should race lots of sprint and olympics and get his run speed up first. It almost never works trying to do long stuff to get long course speed on the run leg. You have to be able to run fast fresh to run fast fried.

Having said that, there are exceptions like Kyle Buckingham....the guy says he is only a 35 min 10K runner and ran 2:48 at IM South Africa. He's way outlier on that front. 35K 10K is a tourist time for a pro triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think at some point this year you will see him into T2 with the big guns....

Run is pretty slow though, long term project at that level. Having said that based on his interviews he knows this and hopefully knows how to approach and manage volume.

Been pleasantly surprised with his swim on minimal work and race exposure.

2c Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
I replied to the thread itself not to yours mate.

The way to do that without directing your reply at anyone in particular is to edit the subject line.

Otherwise, the individual to whom you reply will assume, quite logically, that you are replying to them.
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [mc.cycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard he was injured at oceanside, something with his foot.
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Jackets wrote:

The way to do that without directing your reply at anyone in particular is to edit the subject line.

Otherwise, the individual to whom you reply will assume, quite logically, that you are replying to them.

This is getting tedious, there is a quote function for a reason!
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
has it occurred to you that *you* might be the one not following the norms of this forum and not everybody else?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not entertaining this bullshit any more! I'll be sure to use the quote function from now on so there can be absolutely no doubt whatsoever who a reply is aimed at!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Jackets wrote:

There is a quote function, but if everyone quotes everyone else every time they want to say anything then it just ends up a complete mess, as above.

As ericMPro says, when everyone else is disagreeing with you, it might be sensible to assume that you're in the wrong!
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
has it occurred to you that *you* might be the one not following the norms of this forum and not everybody else?

or put another way- "If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole." -Raylan Givens, Justified

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does it work then if you go to reply to a post 'as per the norms of the forum'

But someone has replied before you?

No wonder these threads look a mess sometimes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In your original comment you “replied” to someone specific but your intent was to reply to thread in general. Which is fine, generally someone will say “replying to thread” or take out the person they are replying to.

In your case you make comments to someone in particular and therefore they assumed you were referencing them in particular. So that’s how confusion occurs because then they reply back to your comment when you weren’t even trying to reply to them.

The quote function sucks when it gets more than 4-5 replies on it. It gets too jumbled up and hard to read.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, your an ass
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
How does it work then if you go to reply to a post 'as per the norms of the forum'

But someone has replied before you?

No wonder these threads look a mess sometimes.

Read and use logic? It’s not that difficult really.

That said when arguing with multiple people that have been on here since 2005-2008, on how the forum works, you probabaly should step down a notch and chill out a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

or put another way- "If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole." -Raylan Givens, Justified

Hugh

OK OK....but let's get it back on topic. When do you guys think Talansky can take his half IM run sub 1:20. This should be easy with his size of engine. If he can't out run Starky, and he's being outswam and outrun by Starky, then being a pro in this sport will be a challenge. With his watts per kilo, I can't see 1:20 being that hard to get to. 1:13 is another story.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
Dude, your an ass

I take it this wasn't aimed at me but at the reply above according to ST forum police rules?

This is why I'll be quoting people I reply to, I've been going on multiple sports forums for donkeys years, I don't need coaching on what works and what doesn't!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, using your logic, how do you know if I replied to you or someone else?
If not you, then who?
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is how you reply to a thread in general.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to think that Talansky would be the fastest over a 90km TT, so he is either held back by swimming beforehand, or holding back for the run.
I would guess that he is mainly holding back for the run.

It's good to see that triathletes are really elite at their sport anyway. It would kind of suck if any good biker or runner could make the switch and immediately be a top elite triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Jackets wrote:

You know what else is tedious? Your idiotic tangent that you keep dragging out. Who the hell cares. It's an informal internet discussion. Are you this much of a tool at other social functions?

And to be clear, I am referring to Jackets as a tool. In case there is any question as to who I am replying to based on what I did or did not quote.
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the truth. It's DAMN hard to come from a single sport dominance and then show up and crush it. Which is why it's interesting, for his pro 70 debuts he racing some talented races. I keep hearing "long term process" but I've also heard it was a 3 year window. Now of course being almost 30, I can kinda see that, but to me 3 year window is relatively short in terms of making it as a professional triathlete (IE- making money and supporting family); not just pro pack filler. But again when your nearly 30 and it's kinda make or break time in terms of supporting a family, you don't have a 6 year window to "develop" you truly have to fast track it.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Racing in super competitive fields has got to be on purpose. There's no pressure on him to win or podium or anything, and he'll have no chance to do so. That will keep him from prematurely pushing himself too hard trying to get a win or podium. He can just do his own thing, continuing their process.
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
Jackets wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Jackets wrote:

You know what else is tedious? Your idiotic tangent that you keep dragging out. Who the hell cares. It's an informal internet discussion. Are you this much of a tool at other social functions?

And to be clear, I am referring to Jackets as a tool. In case there is any question as to who I am replying to based on what I did or did not quote.

This isn't being dragged out at all by me, it's actualy not me who's taken issue with anything.

You have the person who thought I was replying to his post to thank for that, once it was clear it wasn't it should have been the end.

I was actualy quite happy to walk away posts and posts ago and tried, then people like you keep wading in with your 2 pence!
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only thing that really matters is his ability to ramp up run mileage and speed at a safe rate for his body. He's likely still very lean, but it takes awhile to re-allocate the muscles to the correct configuration for Cycling+Running speed. Already being in 1:30 shape is a good sign that it's going well.

I don't really think there is anyone running 1:30 consistently that couldn't hit 1:17/1:18 without ramping mileage much higher.

He clearly has the capacity to suffer, so it's very possible he could be into the B group of pro triathletes by the end of this season.
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he's demonstrated his prospects for longer-term success are TBD, which is honestly about as good as could be expected. It's clear, regardless of how hard he pushed, that he's got a lot more to do on the run, but we'll see in a year.
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:
The only thing that really matters is his ability to ramp up run mileage and speed at a safe rate for his body. He's likely still very lean, but it takes awhile to re-allocate the muscles to the correct configuration for Cycling+Running speed. Already being in 1:30 shape is a good sign that it's going well.

I don't really think there is anyone running 1:30 consistently that couldn't hit 1:17/1:18 without ramping mileage much higher.

He clearly has the capacity to suffer, so it's very possible he could be into the B group of pro triathletes by the end of this season.

I can see him easily getting into the B group by end of year.

Swim 1 min faster
Bike like Lionel or Sebi
Run 6 min faster
Transition 1 min faster

This moves him 10-11 min faster. This actually puts him in the range of Tim Reed and Joe Gambles at St. George. His transitions still have a few seconds of free speed on each one that costs him zero running pounding. But he also needs hard courses like St. George to get the most out of the bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next