Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Utility Co ripped up my backyard
Quote | Reply
Anyone deal with local utility company after they worked on your property? Trying to determine how much time to spend going back and forth with them.

Backstory: Utility pole in the back corner on not sure whose property line needed to be replaced. My yard was the easiest root to get to it (~100 yds from street) and I was promised they would repair damage to lawn. The day they fixed the pole it was cold in the morning, warmed up while they were there and my yard got really beat up. Tracks from trucks and depressions from machines sitting while working.

Utility co said they would send local grounds crew to grade, level, repair and reseed the lawn. When the company called they said the same thing. What I got was one guy, with a wheel barrel and rake who poured some dirt in some of the tracks, sprinkled some seed and tossed hay on it. Now I have pools of water when it rains, bald spots and ridges or tracks in spots all over.
When we moved in the backyard was like a cement slab. Little grass and hard as a rock but was level. After spending about 1k on seed and such, hours aerating and taking care of it I got it in good shape. If we were talking seeding some more I’d be ok with doing it. I told them upfront I wasn’t thrilled about the idea of repairing all of this but since it was winter and the ground was hard it was ok. They came in the spring. I don’t feel like renting tiler or something to fix all this.
How much of a fight am I in for ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Utility Co ripped up my backyard [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely fight it. Take pictures, write letter, lay out clearly and concisely your complaints and what you expect as the remedy.
Quote Reply
Re: Utility Co ripped up my backyard [gotsand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gotsand wrote:
There's only one thing to do. That's taking a page out of this guy's playbook

They mess up your yard, you mess up theirs.

Man, this is getting a lot of press. I live in Holmdel.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say fight it, take pictures etc. BUT don't expect it to go anywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Utility Co ripped up my backyard [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
gotsand wrote:

It is chapter 4 in the book, 'How to fuck up your life in one easy step'.

One of the stories I read was that he was running at the track. Was he going there to work out and having to poop during the workout? I mean, we have all had that experience at some point or another. I can't even think of turning on the treadmill without needing to hit the ... (well fuck, now I have to go, be back in a few minutes).

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gotsand wrote:

I guess I could go and do donuts on their lawn. That would about balance things out.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Utility Co ripped up my backyard [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
I would definitely fight it. Take pictures, write letter, lay out clearly and concisely your complaints and what you expect as the remedy.

I have some pictures and have to go through my phone because I did take a video of my lawn when they told me they would have to access the pole that way.

Debating if next step should be to call utility co back or call the company back who did the repair work.

Quote Reply
Re: Utility Co ripped up my backyard [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
klehner wrote:
gotsand wrote:

It is chapter 4 in the book, 'How to fuck up your life in one easy step'.

One of the stories I read was that he was running at the track. Was he going there to work out and having to poop during the workout? I mean, we have all had that experience at some point or another. I can't even think of turning on the treadmill without needing to hit the ... (well fuck, now I have to go, be back in a few minutes).

I guess he didn't notice the port-a-potties that are there. I saw one (yes, I looked for it) there this morning. Also, there is a wooded area next to the facilities that would have provided some cover.

The track is open to the public for running, so it's possible (I've run there in the past) he was regularly (pun not intended) using the track.

I know, take this s*** to the other forum. (Actually, it's been mentioned there, as well)

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Utility Co ripped up my backyard [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
gotsand wrote:

Is there a facebook page or someplace I can go read more about this from ppl in the know? Like for example I'd like to know where exactly he did this, in relation to the track, field etc. Were they all in the same place etc..?
Last edited by: PeterP: May 4, 18 9:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was there an easement through your yard allowing them access to service the poles?

Re: Utility Co ripped up my backyard [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
Was there an easement through your yard allowing them access to service the poles?

Not that I am aware of. I don't remember them asking to go through yard. It was more of a "we need to use your yard to access pole". Then "we use this small machine for jobs like this so it shouldn't be a big deal." When I got home later and asked WTF happened I was told they had to drive trucks back there. Apologized for mess and said they would send someone to fix it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gotsand wrote:

He's now the pooperintendent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which approach will you be over with and on with your life quicker?

A few hours to fix- I would just do that and send them bills for rental and equipment. It’s unlikely anyone other than you will have the same standards you do for your lawn and it seems like you already know exactly what you want done. You can be done by the end of the weekend this way or fighting weeks from now still.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell them you voluntarily allowed them to use your yard although there was no reason you had to and that you expect them to repair the yard to the "before" condition as promised.

Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
last tri in 83 wrote:

Not that I am aware of. I don't remember them asking to go through yard. It was more of a "we need to use your yard to access pole". Then "we use this small machine for jobs like this so it shouldn't be a big deal." When I got home later and asked WTF happened I was told they had to drive trucks back there. Apologized for mess and said they would send someone to fix it.

There may have been an easement by necessity that would have allowed them access. But that shouldn't absolve them of any obligation to restore the property to the condition that it was in prior to their work.

The question is whether it's worth the fight, which would largely come down to the cost of restoring the property vs. the time and effort needed to get them to do it.

I would recommend working directly with the utility company, complaining that the company they hired to fix the property didn't do it. While probably not worth litigation, it may still be worth being a persistent pain in the ass. If they still don't get around to it, I might consider going to the next city or town council meeting and complaining about it during public comments. While it's not the city/town's direct problem, sometimes council members will be responsive to public complaints about utilities operating in their jurisdictions, especially if it's a small town. And it's cheap bad publicity for the utility, who may have an interest in staying in the town's good graces.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

I have some pictures and have to go through my phone because I did take a video of my lawn when they told me they would have to access the pole that way.

Debating if next step should be to call utility co back or call the company back who did the repair work.

If I remember correctly, in PA I was on the local water authority board, the company who did the work was contracted to perform the service but it is still the responsibility of the utility company to get the problem corrected. I wouldn't give up. Make them do the work instead of you. If you want to do the work, get an estimate from a landscaper and tell them to pay that amount and you'll take care of it yourself.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Utility Co ripped up my backyard [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If I remember correctly, in PA I was on the local water authority board, the company who did the work was contracted to perform the service but it is still the responsibility of the utility company to get the problem corrected. I wouldn't give up. Make them do the work instead of you. If you want to do the work, get an estimate from a landscaper and tell them to pay that amount and you'll take care of it yourself.

I was told by someone who formerly worked at PECO to save myself time, headache and effort just go straight to PUC and file a claim. I don't want to do that.
I called and left a voicemail which I don't expect much from. Filling out a claim form while I look for original note they left with contact info.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the utility have legal easement access over your property? In the future protect yourself by making them develop a temporary construction easement or some other document that establishes your legal rights as a property owner and the utility's responsibility for damages before allowing them on your land to do work. I work for a utility and we go through this process whenever we need to access a customer's property, even if we already have a permanent easement in place.
Quote Reply
Re: Utility Co ripped up my backyard [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
In the future protect yourself by making them develop a temporary construction easement or some other document that establishes your legal rights as a property owner and the utility's responsibility for damages before allowing them on your land to do work.

Thanks I will remember that. I have a feeling anytime they want to work on the lines on my end of the street they will want to go through my yard. There are enough trees removed that it is the easiest access for them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

I was told by someone who formerly worked at PECO to save myself time, headache and effort just go straight to PUC and file a claim. I don't want to do that.
I called and left a voicemail which I don't expect much from. Filling out a claim form while I look for original note they left with contact info.

I like the idea of getting a quote from a landscaper and asking them to cut you a cheque for that amount. Easy for them to wash their hands of the problem by just writing you a cheque, and you have the knowledge the work will be done to your standard.

Most of the time will these large beurocratic companies, as long as you have given them a valid paper trail (original committment to see you whole, photos of damage, and quote from independent landscaper) then often you will get a quick solution. Make it easy for them to have the problem go away.
Quote Reply
Re: Utility Co ripped up my backyard [PeterP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeterP wrote:
klehner wrote:
gotsand wrote:

Is there a facebook page or someplace I can go read more about this from ppl in the know? Like for example I'd like to know where exactly he did this, in relation to the track, field etc. Were they all in the same place etc..?

I'm sure if google you can find plenty of websites that will satisfy your craving for information about other people's bowel habits.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply