Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ever gotten something inside the Flo fairing?
Quote | Reply
Flo 60 front. Changed tires the other day in preparation for wildflower, rolling the bike out to the car heard some odd sounds, including the “ping” of the spokes. Nothing loose or broken, when I spin it slowly there’s something apparently inside the wheel. Doesn’t sound metallic, more like plastic. Replaced the tube with a shorter stem yesterday, recall it felt like it got stuck pulling it out of the valve hole but nothing missing from the valve on the pulled tube.

Is this an issue other than slight annoyance when rolling slowly?
Quote Reply
Re: Ever gotten something inside the Flo fairing? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It shouldn’t really be an issue, apart from the sound and nagging annoyance.

If you want to get it out, tyre and tube off, vacuum cleaner and patience to the ready. If it’s ferrous, a good strong magnet can be a help. Be prepared for never finding whatever it is. I may get caught up somewhere and go quiet if you’re lucky.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your Flo is not a new wheel then I'd check the true of the wheel when hearing pinging of the spokes. A newly built wheel that doesn't have the spokes stress relieved well will pop/ping quite a bit on first use and the wheel might be out of true as a result.

For the debris inside the fairing if it isn't a rather large object just harmless and more annoying than anything. I bought a used HED Jet front wheel and it had some sand or dirt in the fairing. Was never able to get it out though (never tried it with a vacuum but that probably would've gotten it out). I can hear it when spinning it by hand but all the road noise it is unnoticeable riding.
Last edited by: loxx0050: May 4, 18 7:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Flo 60 front. Changed tires the other day in preparation for wildflower, rolling the bike out to the car heard some odd sounds, including the “ping” of the spokes. Nothing loose or broken, when I spin it slowly there’s something apparently inside the wheel. Doesn’t sound metallic, more like plastic. Replaced the tube with a shorter stem yesterday, recall it felt like it got stuck pulling it out of the valve hole but nothing missing from the valve on the pulled tube.

Did you get this sorted out?

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Ever gotten something inside the Flo fairing? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

Did not. Don't hear anything at speed, but whatever it is is still in there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Canadian wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

Did not. Don't hear anything at speed, but whatever it is is still in there.

If you want, give me a call and I'll help you sort it out. I'm 702-529-4744.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dropped a valve extender in mine. I used some tape and sealed a straw, that fit through the valve hole, on the end of a vacuum cleaner hose. Took about 30 seconds to fish the extender up to the hole and work it out.

Don't even bother trying to shake it out. I wasted too much time fiddling with it until I came up with the straw idea.
Quote Reply