Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buying a trailer hitch for my bike rack
Quote | Reply
I just bought a 2018 Honda Pilot, AWD EX-L. I need a trailer hitch for my bike rack. I would prefer OEM, but the dealer mark-up is obscene, at least in my opinion (~$550 installed, no wiring harness). So, I got it in my head that I should just buy the hitch and install it myself. I found a few websites that carry the hitch for ~$225, but the shipping (~$80) is steep enough that it might be worth paying extra to get it fast from the dealer. Any idea which online vendor would have the best overall price (including shipping)?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a trailer hitch for my bike rack [TurtleMan77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are there no trailer install places near you? Uhaul sells and installs, for example. I just had a hitch installed and wired for about c$450 plus tax from a different place, but uhaul was similarly priced.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went through this 10 years ago with our Honda Pilot. Find a U-haul location, tell them you want a hitch receiver installed. Sign the waiver they give you (no trans cooler, brake wiring, etc.) Save $800+
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a trailer hitch for my bike rack [kenwil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put one on tonight on my car.

They are idiot proof. 4 bolts that's it. This was hardest one ever, it took an hour.

Most vehicle you can find for 79-150.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at etrailer.com
Usually pretty good prices and instructions for each model with difficulty on the website.
If you think you can handle it, do it.
Actually looked it up, $181 and 3/10 for installation. Easy bolt on

If not, UHaul is probably your best bet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes the OEM is a much cleaner look especially on a vehicle like that. That is totally your call. When we bought a Toyota Highlander and took it to Uhaul the hitch they put on was ugly and hung down below the bumper even though I asked them repeatedly and was told it would barely be visible. I had them take it off (left) and paid extra for the OEM one that tucks up in the bumper and came with a replacement piece of molding to make it look much better.

I agree install it yourself if you are up to it but sometimes you get what you pay for.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a trailer hitch for my bike rack [RyanB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the replies. UHAUL is definitely cheaper, but as mentioned by one of you, their hitch isn't as clean looking. I prefer the flush mounting of the OEM model. So, it looks like am going to pay more. I found one shipped this morning for under $300. I don't think I am going to do any better.

Thanks again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find one on etrailer.com. You don’t need OEM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a tip - Even if you are just getting the hitch for a bike rack, get the wiring for trailer lights. A wiring kit is pretty cheap ($50) and easy to install. As long as you are investing in a hitch, it is nice to have the option of renting a UHaul trailer now and then.

Another tip - I put a hitch on a lease car and was able to sell the hitch on Craig's List when the lease was up. The net cost of having a hitch for 3 years ended up being around $100.

As others have said, installing a hitch is pretty easy and well within the abilities of anyone with moderate DIY skills. 4 bolts and the holes pre drilled. The only tricky part is you have to lower then put back the muffler(s) on most vehicles to get the hitch in place and get at the bolts. Depending on your vehicle, that part either involves removing and replacing a few bolts (easy) or sliding a couple rubber muffler mounts off then back on (can be a bit finicky).
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a trailer hitch for my bike rack [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in the same boat a couple of years ago, dealer wanted $1000, got it done at uHaul for $250.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same model/year. As others mentioned, go to etrailer.com and it will show you the options/pics of how it looks installed. I got the Curt, $135 total. Then I took it to an install place (Rack Attack where I am) as I don't have any skill/time/interest and they installed it in 20 minutes for some nominal amount. I don't remember the total price I was in for, but it was maybe close to $200 all in. Since you want OEM, you should ask what the hitch is they actually use, odds are decent its the same as what you will get off etrailer. I've done this for 2 cars now (subaru was the other), and think it is a great option vs paying way more than necessary at the dealer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$550 installed is a decent price. My brother got one installed at the Audi dealer for like $850. I got mine at UHaul for around $400 installed, but it rides under the bumper, which reduces your ground clearance and doesn't look as clean.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a trailer hitch for my bike rack [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ilikepizza wrote:
I have the same model/year. As others mentioned, go to etrailer.com and it will show you the options/pics of how it looks installed. I got the Curt, $135 total. Then I took it to an install place (Rack Attack where I am) as I don't have any skill/time/interest and they installed it in 20 minutes for some nominal amount. I don't remember the total price I was in for, but it was maybe close to $200 all in. Since you want OEM, you should ask what the hitch is they actually use, odds are decent its the same as what you will get off etrailer. I've done this for 2 cars now (subaru was the other), and think it is a great option vs paying way more than necessary at the dealer.

Amazon has the Curt hitch for $137 with prime 3 day shipping.

The look probably isn't quite as good as the OEM, but it's less than 1/2 the price.

Edit: Here is the install video for it. It's for the 2017, but etrailer says it's the same procedure for the 2018.
Last edited by: bufordt: May 4, 18 9:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found a local trailer sales place and they did mine last year for around $350. It looks nice and clean and doesn't sit under the bumper like some of the Uhaul ones. I would've done it myself but my vehicle required drilling some new holes in the frame and I didn't want to get into all that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
find a local trailer place, not Uhaul because they are terribly overpriced, and get some quotes. i've never paid more than ~$200 installed. you could do it yourself, but it's so much easier with a lift. they can usually knock it out in 20 minutes
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a trailer hitch for my bike rack [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies. I opted to go OEM for $275 shipped from HondaPartsNow. It was $100 less than the dealer wanted and at least $25 less than any where else I could find. I like the way the Honda one looks and I don't want to lose ground clearance with one that sits under the bumper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2004 Infiniti I35. Ancient, I know, but it was not so when I bought it and wanted a receiver hitch for a bike rack. U Haul all the way. Took longer than I hoped, but has been solid for 10+ years. LOVE a hitch rack over the alternatives, which I've has on previous vehicles.
Quote Reply