Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

anyone live in the Walnut Creek / Brentwood area?
Quote | Reply
Hi All,
Wondering if anyone lives in the Walnut Creek or Brentwood area. Getting ready to relocate for work and looking for some local guidance.
Thanks in advance.
sufferman
Quote Reply
Re: anyone live in the Walnut Creek / Brentwood area? [sufferman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sufferman wrote:
Hi All,
Wondering if anyone lives in the Walnut Creek or Brentwood area. Getting ready to relocate for work and looking for some local guidance.
Thanks in advance.
sufferman

Send me a PM. I live in Pleasant Hill. Depending on where you work, Brentwood may be a bit of a hassle when it comes to getting places and bike rides. Highway is a traffic nightmare for commuters.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: anyone live in the Walnut Creek / Brentwood area? [sufferman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lived in Concord for more than 10 years and now Walnut Creek for 5. Brentwood if far more affordable as you would expect. It’s tough to find a single-family residence In Walnut Creek under $1mm the last couple years. Rents in Walnut Creek start at $2.5K for a newer studio. But as Kevin noted, the commute from Brentwood can be tough. At least 90 minutes one way if you are going to the city. Brentwood is warmer – probably another 5-10 degrees during the summer. And riding can be more challenging in Brentwood. Living in Walnut Creek gives you quick access to Mt. Diablo for road and mountain bike riding as well as trail running. Oakland hills are also readily accessible. From Brentwood you are more often than not forced onto highways. Unfortunately, as with much in the Bay Area, budget often times drives the decision
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can’t help you at all as I haven’t lived there for over 20 years and it has changed dramatically since then, but I grew up in Brentwood and it was amazing. I think the total population was roughly 5000 (currently 30-40k) and all those homes were farms.

I went back after college and got a job in San Francisco while living in Oakley. It took almost 2 hours to commute each way to San Francisco for my job at the time. I lasted 6 months and then moved to Colorado (lots of factors involved, Wanderlust being one of them). Lots of friends still live there (between Brentwood, Oakley, Discovery Bay and Byron), and as much as they talk about how much it has changed, they love it and will never leave.

If you like to water ski (wake boarding, boating or fishing in general) - you can’t beat the area for access to the Delta, and if you don’t water ski (or wake board or boating or fishing in general) you should start!! I feel like half my childhood was skiing or tubing or something. There are still lots of farms and you literally cannot beat the summertime fresh produce and the cherry crop in May.

Where are you going to be working? What is your family situation like? Those may help in deciding to be “over the hill” in the Concord/Walnut Creek area vs Brentwood/Oakley.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sufferman wrote:
Hi All,
Thanks in advance.
sufferman

I live in Walnut Creek (have lived here for 21 years). Feel free to message me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to one of the best climates in the state.

Quote | Reply
I used to live in WC. I wish I still did.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply