Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: You Guys Losing Your Sh*t Over "Ironman" Need a Hug [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 "I'd recommend you dedicate yourself to a year of racing smaller and with the BOP"

Yay!!! i 2nd that emotion.
sure it was long, but a fun read. i dont mind reading longish stuff. i think im one of the last who thinks that way..

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: You Guys Losing Your Sh*t Over "Ironman" Need a Hug [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
DJRed wrote:

Me? I have a 13:45 IM to my name (which includes 30+ minutes of transition because I was chatting it up).

so you don't take this seriously so neither should the rest of us age groupers? some of us make sacrifices for this lifestyle
If you feel you are sacrificing for this lifestyle and 2 miles is too much to take then maybe you should reevaluate your racing Ironman or your life???
Quote Reply
Re: You Guys Losing Your Sh*t Over "Ironman" Need a Hug [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
DJRed wrote:

Me? I have a 13:45 IM to my name (which includes 30+ minutes of transition because I was chatting it up).

so you don't take this seriously so neither should the rest of us age groupers? some of us make sacrifices for this lifestyle
All of us make sacrifices for every lifestyle. You're nothing special, no offence.
I do however agree that you're entitled to take it seriously. But, I don't think you should.
Quote Reply
Re: You Guys Losing Your Sh*t Over "Ironman" Need a Hug [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Seriously. Go outside and have a picnic. Do something outside that's not biking or running. Hug your kids. Kiss your wife. Eat something other than a gel. Wear a watch that doesn't have a GPS on it. Go to a pool and, instead of intervals, float on a raft.

If you are a pro triathlete and your livelihood depends on racing, by all means, continue to lose your shit. The rest of us? Relax.

Ironman is whatever you want it to be. The problem exists when we make it more than it should be. I've got news for you. Someone who can finish 110 on a bike and 25.8 on the run, is not going to DNF at 112 and 26.2. They are an IM.

If you are that into the sport, you know what the tough courses are. You know what the real records are. You know who the best is. And, no, someone else's 16:59 finish in a draft fast, using a wetsuit, while eating EPO at the aid stations does not cheapen your KQ on a course with 30,000 feet of elevation between the bike and run, and a non-wetsuit swim in shark-infested water.

The "real" triathletes know to show you the proper respect and you know what you accomplished.

Me? I have a 13:45 IM to my name (which includes 30+ minutes of transition because I was chatting it up). It was a flat course that my GPS measured just over 111 on the bike and just under 26 on the run. Guess what, I still consider that an IM finish. You can laugh at it. You can mock me. You can say I'm slow. You can say it's not valid. I don't care. I raced clean. I didn't draft and I finished the course as it was set up that day. FWIW, I didn't choose it because it was a flat course, I choose it because it was local to me. I know I could've run about an hour faster but it was hotter than I expected and I took no chances that I'd somehow DNF because I'd put my family through a lot to get there and we all deserved the finish.

My journey to IM was rough. It included a DNF in a HIM due to calf cramping during the swim and a missed swim cut-off at the inaugural Challenge AC (where the swim course was brutal and the current worse). My family made numerous sacrifices and I did the training while being at the top of my career and working 60 hours many weeks.

Only I know what it meant to me and my family to cross the IM finish line. However, I do not have an M-Dot tattoo and, although I own a few pieces of IM gear, I only routinely wear the running hat because, well, it's my only running hat.

If IM has become a gigantic part of your life (and you're not a pro or legitimate aspiring pro) I'd recommend you dedicate yourself to a year of racing smaller and with the BOP. If you do this, you might remind yourself about the beauty of triathlon. You might remind yourself that triathlon has changed people's lives. You might realize that the average person is drafting or riding left because they just don't know any better. You might remember that triathlon is fun. You might meet someone like me, learn my story, and get less angry when a course is a mile short.

Most importantly, you will learn that many people graduate to IM from smaller races where there are no moto officials, there are competitors who wear sleeved wetsuits for 200yd pool swims, and the RDs are selling an experience and not a competition. What else do you expect from these competitors who graduate to IM after growing up like this?

Can IM do better? Sure. But, the reality of the sport is that it doesn't exist for the pros or KQers. Now, before you lose your shit over that statement, you should also realize the NFL doesn't exist for Tom Brady and the NBA doesn't exist for LeBron James. They exist for the millions of fans who pay millions of dollars to watch and buy merchandise. Similarly, triathlon exists for the people who make RDs money and those are the people who are just there for "the day" or to get Facebook material.

Don't misunderstand me, I have much respect for you FOPers and old-school warriors who built the sport. It's just that I understand it's not your sport anymore. Many others have entered the club. Don't be dismayed by that. Recognize that change is inevitable or you are going to be miserable.

Rest assured, though, I have a hug for you. You'll just need to go a whole lot slower so I can catch you.

It's nice that you think we are interested in this marathon performance.
Quote Reply
Re: You Guys Losing Your Sh*t Over "Ironman" Need a Hug [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Quote:
What else do you expect from these competitors who graduate to IM after growing up like this?
Maybe attend the pre-race meeting and actually pay attention :)

Now that would be a tremendous idea. I do a number of NJ races where the RD holds meetings the day before and tells you everything you need to know. However, (and this might surprise some) I think he is usually too hard on warning the fast guys not to do stuff. He never mentions drafting or riding left, and never tells the slower swimmers who are self-seeding that they are ruining everything when they overseed themselves. It never fails, there are always at least 50 people seeding themselves ahead of me that you can visually tell can't swim. They are usually in groups and wearing the same Tri Club suit. They likely are going into the water with friends. 50 yards in, half of them are on their back.
Quote Reply
Re: You Guys Losing Your Sh*t Over "Ironman" Need a Hug [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
DJRed wrote:
Seriously. Go outside and have a picnic. Do something outside that's not biking or running. Hug your kids. Kiss your wife. Eat something other than a gel. Wear a watch that doesn't have a GPS on it. Go to a pool and, instead of intervals, float on a raft.

If you are a pro triathlete and your livelihood depends on racing, by all means, continue to lose your shit. The rest of us? Relax.

Ironman is whatever you want it to be. The problem exists when we make it more than it should be. I've got news for you. Someone who can finish 110 on a bike and 25.8 on the run, is not going to DNF at 112 and 26.2. They are an IM.

If you are that into the sport, you know what the tough courses are. You know what the real records are. You know who the best is. And, no, someone else's 16:59 finish in a draft fast, using a wetsuit, while eating EPO at the aid stations does not cheapen your KQ on a course with 30,000 feet of elevation between the bike and run, and a non-wetsuit swim in shark-infested water.

The "real" triathletes know to show you the proper respect and you know what you accomplished.

Me? I have a 13:45 IM to my name (which includes 30+ minutes of transition because I was chatting it up). It was a flat course that my GPS measured just over 111 on the bike and just under 26 on the run. Guess what, I still consider that an IM finish. You can laugh at it. You can mock me. You can say I'm slow. You can say it's not valid. I don't care. I raced clean. I didn't draft and I finished the course as it was set up that day. FWIW, I didn't choose it because it was a flat course, I choose it because it was local to me. I know I could've run about an hour faster but it was hotter than I expected and I took no chances that I'd somehow DNF because I'd put my family through a lot to get there and we all deserved the finish.

My journey to IM was rough. It included a DNF in a HIM due to calf cramping during the swim and a missed swim cut-off at the inaugural Challenge AC (where the swim course was brutal and the current worse). My family made numerous sacrifices and I did the training while being at the top of my career and working 60 hours many weeks.

Only I know what it meant to me and my family to cross the IM finish line. However, I do not have an M-Dot tattoo and, although I own a few pieces of IM gear, I only routinely wear the running hat because, well, it's my only running hat.

If IM has become a gigantic part of your life (and you're not a pro or legitimate aspiring pro) I'd recommend you dedicate yourself to a year of racing smaller and with the BOP. If you do this, you might remind yourself about the beauty of triathlon. You might remind yourself that triathlon has changed people's lives. You might realize that the average person is drafting or riding left because they just don't know any better. You might remember that triathlon is fun. You might meet someone like me, learn my story, and get less angry when a course is a mile short.

Most importantly, you will learn that many people graduate to IM from smaller races where there are no moto officials, there are competitors who wear sleeved wetsuits for 200yd pool swims, and the RDs are selling an experience and not a competition. What else do you expect from these competitors who graduate to IM after growing up like this?

Can IM do better? Sure. But, the reality of the sport is that it doesn't exist for the pros or KQers. Now, before you lose your shit over that statement, you should also realize the NFL doesn't exist for Tom Brady and the NBA doesn't exist for LeBron James. They exist for the millions of fans who pay millions of dollars to watch and buy merchandise. Similarly, triathlon exists for the people who make RDs money and those are the people who are just there for "the day" or to get Facebook material.

Don't misunderstand me, I have much respect for you FOPers and old-school warriors who built the sport. It's just that I understand it's not your sport anymore. Many others have entered the club. Don't be dismayed by that. Recognize that change is inevitable or you are going to be miserable.

Rest assured, though, I have a hug for you. You'll just need to go a whole lot slower so I can catch you.

Hate you with a vengeance for that Lavender side of yours.

But I tip my hat for that post of yours.

+60% think the distance being within 1% off is barely acceptable....really?

These guys also never roll stop signs, right?

I've got hugs in the LR for you, too.

I would also suggest many misunderstand me in the LR.
Quote Reply
Re: You Guys Losing Your Sh*t Over "Ironman" Need a Hug [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:
DJRed wrote:

It's nice that you think we are interested in this marathon performance.

My bad. After remeasuring my marathon performance, I realized it was short. I'll try to go a little longer next time as to not offend.
Quote Reply
Re: You Guys Losing Your Sh*t Over "Ironman" Need a Hug [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I'm a roadie with no interest in IM whatsoever

Same here. Roadie, and now dirt roadie too. I don't care if dirt roadie is derogatory or not, I kind of like the name.

Out of all the 3 tri disciplines, I think the cycling discipline earns the least respect from me. I don't have enough background in swimming to judge it. I've run a few half marathons for fundraiser kind of things. And I loathe running, I'd rather almost eat nails.

But I could grind out a 10min/mi half tomorrow if I had to. I've gotten the 5k pace down to ~8min/mi. Not quick, but it's enough to give me a respect for runners. A deep respect. I just don't have enough of a swim background to judge it.

Tri isn't easy. The bike leg isn't necessarily easy either for a competitive tri person vs. a finisher. But to me, it is by far the most "fluffy" part of the event.

I think all the people in tri who have never done a real road-race style time trial need to go do one. Or never done a cycling road race.

To me, there's just too much that tri people can leave on the line with the bike for the run to really get into what it means to have a race of truth on the bike.

You stand to gain/lose too much time on the run, so the bike takes the hit. Air resistance is what? Cubic with speed? Running is perfectly linear to your ability. Cycling is not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well said. Respect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
DJRed wrote:

So you went a 13:45 but you could have been faster, the journey was tough and you made a lot of sacrifices.

Ahhh, do you need a hug?

You should get a TT bike and draft someone to catch up to the point. The point is I way underperformed my ability. I rode 20 bpm under my target HR (on a roadbike nonetheless), and ran 35 bpm under my target HR, and I still consider the day a wild success.

There was much more to the day than my time and I enjoyed every minute of it. No hug necessary.

I was joking.
Were you being serious?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you were faster you too would care
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe attend the pre-race meeting and actually pay attention :)
---

This seems harder than the actual race.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: You Guys Losing Your Sh*t Over "Ironman" Need a Hug [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
trail wrote:

Same here. Roadie, and now dirt roadie too. I don't care if dirt roadie is derogatory or not, I kind of like the name.

Out of all the 3 tri disciplines, I think the cycling discipline earns the least respect from me. I don't have enough background in swimming to judge it. I've run a few half marathons for fundraiser kind of things. And I loathe running, I'd rather almost eat nails.

But I could grind out a 10min/mi half tomorrow if I had to. I've gotten the 5k pace down to ~8min/mi. Not quick, but it's enough to give me a respect for runners. A deep respect. I just don't have enough of a swim background to judge it.

Tri isn't easy. The bike leg isn't necessarily easy either for a competitive tri person vs. a finisher. But to me, it is by far the most "fluffy" part of the event.

I think all the people in tri who have never done a real road-race style time trial need to go do one. Or never done a cycling road race.

To me, there's just too much that tri people can leave on the line with the bike for the run to really get into what it means to have a race of truth on the bike.

You stand to gain/lose too much time on the run, so the bike takes the hit. Air resistance is what? Cubic with speed? Running is perfectly linear to your ability. Cycling is not.

I'm not clear what your overall point is.
Quote Reply
Re: You Guys Losing Your Sh*t Over "Ironman" Need a Hug [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
You offering reacharounds with that hug, too?

I didn't read your post, sorry. Too many words.

I thought hugs was your thing ?

Along with some other stuff now !

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Last edited by: Leddy: May 3, 18 7:43
Quote Reply
Re: You Guys Losing Your Sh*t Over "Ironman" Need a Hug [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Yeah, from DJ I want a little extra, y'know?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: You Guys Losing Your Sh*t Over "Ironman" Need a Hug [LuchaLibre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuchaLibre wrote:
I would like a hug....

It has nothing to do with whatever you posted...I read the first 2 or 3 sentences and then the last one...but I would like a hug if you are offering. With a slight bit of a butt grab - from you to me. Just a small squeeze. light. Just enough to know that you care.

*golf clap* Well done, sir
Quote Reply
Re: You Guys Losing Your Sh*t Over "Ironman" Need a Hug [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Leddy wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Yeah, from DJ I want a little extra, y'know?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well said. I will add the whole concept about those who freak out about whether it's wetsuit legal or not. If you want to wear a wetsuit during a wetsuit o-p-t-i-o-n-a-l triathlon, then you should be able to without being ostracized by those that choose not to wear them. Those that are worried about getting passed by a wetsuit swimmer aren't going to be winning awards anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't read all of this because I agree and think everyone is overreacting. I'll give a comparison, the Boston Marathon. It is the longest standing marathon and one the most competitive, but if you set a record at Boston it doesn't count because there is too much downhill. One year it was crazy fast because of a tail wind. The distance has changed a few times too. But no body says Boston isn't a Marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: You Guys Losing Your Sh*t Over "Ironman" Need a Hug [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
trail wrote:

Triathlon is not swim bike run, it is triathlon... One sport and at the end you get a triathlon time that really is all that matters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Ok you want a hug ?but you also want a reach around ?that would mean I would have to hug you from behind while reaching around to your front and my ...would have to be placed firmly in your ...😳😳😳😳😳😳😳. Dam swimmers

"Be your best cheerleader , not your worst critic.â€
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm here for the Hugs!!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next