Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling in St. George (for the sherpa who needs to train)
Quote | Reply
Hey y'all, I'm headed up to St. George to cheer and sherpa but am also looking to get in a ride on Sunday.

I'd like to ride for about 2.5-3.5 hours and get at least two good climbs (20:00+).

Can I safely solo ride the bike course the day after (obviously the easiest option)? Or can you recommend a great route or shop ride I can join? Is there a beautiful ride in and around Zion? I'm fine to climb the same hill twice.

Thanks in advance!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in St. George (for the sherpa who needs to train) [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would recommend doing the 'Gunlock/Veyo Loop' (http://www.mapmyride.com/...-loop-route-87473279). Especially if you do it on a Sunday you may not see a single car from the right turn off Highway 91 until you make the right out of Veyo on SR18. This was part of the old St George IM course. The biggest climb in known as 'the wall' (https://www.strava.com/segments/1990579), which is only about a mile, but depending on the wind can get a little nasty. You could do that loop and then come back to Snow Canyon and do Snow Canyon (the signature climb of the 70.3).
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in St. George (for the sherpa who needs to train) [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kolob climb twice just north of St would be my go to. Used to live in the area and worked wildlife all along the course. Do some warm up riding to the south first near new harmony and then hit the climb. Good grade and awesome views and under 30 minutes but honest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could totally ride the course the next day. That would be my vote, the course is awesome. There won't be a ton of traffic on a Sunday, unless it is from everyone leaving town. That Veyo loop mentioned above is a good loop that has a decent shoulder once you get to the highway in Veyo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some damn fine mountain biking in the area
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in St. George (for the sherpa who needs to train) [Tim_Canterbury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One more vote for Gunlock/Veyo loop.
At the junction of old Hwy 91 and Gunlcok Dr, there is an 11km climb on Hwy 91. It isn't steep, but climbs pretty constantly. I thought it was fun.

As previously stated, the Kolob climb is a good climb with nice views.

If you can drive about 1h20min north, you can hit Hwy 143 climb to Brian Head. This is a tough one.

Have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in St. George (for the sherpa who needs to train) [Boschery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone -- I'll do Gunlock/Veyo.

I appreciate the help, wave if you see me Sunday morning :D

Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in St. George (for the sherpa who needs to train) [Boschery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to say thanks again for this recommendation. I had a spectacular ride and saw very few cars. I ended up doing my climb up Snow Canyon and on toward Veyo twice because I couldn't get enough of the views in the park. After, I hiked around the Petrified Dunes -- what a beautiful, geologically interesting place. I'll be back!

Quote Reply