Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Exciting day at work
Quote | Reply
This morning a sheriff came into the math dept because they have a bunch of photos of a burglar who has been breaking into area stores. They wanted to see if (royal) we could help figure out the suspect's height based on the photos. I was teaching so I didn't get to help.

My colleague couldn't do that based on the photos they showed him, but noticed the suspect's boot roughly made a diagonal with a floor tile in one of the photos. So, he used a bunch of math to figure out the shoe size.

I'm super disappointed to have missed out on the fun first hand, but it's still pretty cool.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Exciting day at work [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Math?!?! Why do all those calculations when you can just look for a tiny reflective surface in the photo and enhance a few times to get a crystal clear photo of the suspect?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Exciting day at work [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They consulted us!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
This morning a sheriff came into the math dept because they have a bunch of photos of a burglar who has been breaking into area stores. They wanted to see if (royal) we could help figure out the suspect's height based on the photos. I was teaching so I didn't get to help.

My colleague couldn't do that based on the photos they showed him, but noticed the suspect's boot roughly made a diagonal with a floor tile in one of the photos. So, he used a bunch of math to figure out the shoe size.

I'm super disappointed to have missed out on the fun first hand, but it's still pretty cool.

Cool. If we were shown practical applications for math when I was in school I might have not hated it so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool! Have you all seen the Zapruder film?

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

Dumb cops. They should have gone over to engineering department and they would have gotten a number.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: Sanuk: May 2, 18 13:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s pretty cool, but why couldn’t they get an answer? No knowns?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Exciting day at work [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
That’s pretty cool, but why couldn’t they get an answer? No knowns?

I guess. The only thing I looked at was my colleagues' calculations.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
argh! call the anthropology department next time!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Exciting day at work [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I teach some kids computer programming. Asking them how to determine if two objects on the screen are close enough to collide in a basic way uses the Pythagorean theorem. For many it is the first time they have every used math outside of math class to do something interesting.
Quote Reply