Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Terror
Quote | Reply
Anyone watching this on AMC? Ridley Scott-executive produced horror story of two ships that get stuck in polar ice during an 1845 expedition to find the Northwest Passage. The way the horror aspect plays out is two-fold - there's a monster (based on Inuit mythology) involved but there's also the slow breakdown of a crew of men stuck in a desperate situation with dwindling supplies, medical issues and some questionable leadership from the officers.

Watched 7 episodes (of 10) so far and it keeps getting better with each episode.
Quote Reply
Re: The Terror [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard about it someplace, too, and I'm intrigued

Anything with a fan theory like "They're all hallucinating because of the lead leaching into the water supply" surely gets my attention

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Anyone watching this on AMC? Ridley Scott-executive produced horror story of two ships that get stuck in polar ice during an 1845 expedition to find the Northwest Passage. The way the horror aspect plays out is two-fold - there's a monster (based on Inuit mythology) involved but there's also the slow breakdown of a crew of men stuck in a desperate situation with dwindling supplies, medical issues and some questionable leadership from the officers.

Watched 7 episodes (of 10) so far and it keeps getting better with each episode.

That's about where I am currently. One excellent aspect of the series is that it (presumably) gives you an idea of what life was like on these ships (pretty grim for most of the crew).

I keep thinking of Game of Thrones, what with Sir John (Mance Rayder) and James Fitzjames (Edmure Tully).

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started watching it when it began and it was really good. We switched to streaming a few weeks into the series and I got hooked on Game of Thrones, so I've missed the last few episodes. Planning to go back and get caught up - one episode of GoT to go and I'm up to date, then I'll have time to get back to the Terror.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watching it. It isn't bad. Not destination viewing, it could use some help with pacing. But the story isn't bad.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: The Terror [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
it could use some help with pacing.

Yeah there have been a couple of episodes that seemed to really plod along, but things seem to be picking up toward the final episodes. The show makes me want to read the book.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read Dan Simmons' book and really enjoyed it. I would be interested to see how the adaptation was handled, from your post it sounds like it's worth checking out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm up to episode 4 and it's good so far. Didn't seem to be promoted much by AMC so I'm surprised how good it's been.
Quote Reply
Re: The Terror [PrinceMax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PrinceMax wrote:
Didn't seem to be promoted much by AMC

I hadn't heard anything about it until it started showing up as a promoted show on Comcast's OnDemand screen. Lack of promotion for shows always baffles me - you spend all that money creating a show and then hope word-of-mouth does the trick?

Bought the book last night, but will probably wait until the season ends before reading it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip. I love a good period piece, and this has been on point so far. Ominous and foreboding, a growing sense of dread. Loving it.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: The Terror [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Final episode aired last night.. some interesting twists (including one hell of a final "fuck you" move by Dr Goodsir), a showdown with the monster, and an ending that was a little surprising. Impressed with the series overall, now to start on the book to see how it compares.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Final episode aired last night.. some interesting twists (including one hell of a final "fuck you" move by Dr Goodsir), a showdown with the monster, and an ending that was a little surprising. Impressed with the series overall, now to start on the book to see how it compares.

It was pretty obvious what Goodsir was going to do (I turned off the episode at the foot "part"). Great series, can't wait to watch the rest tonight.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:

I'm glad they wrapped up the story. Apparently there is going to be a second season. I couldn't see any way they could drag this story out for another go around.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply