Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How far are you willing to go for aero? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

For anybody who is interested, his CdA on the Felt FA TRD was ~.19: http://fitwerx.com/...onews-dean-phillips/

[..]

This is what he looked like:

LHD! That's cheating!!

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
My personal aero hero is Dean Phillips out of Fitwerx in Boston. Without giving too much away, Dean is 6'3", 210lbs, but has the lowest CdA I've ever recorded for a male of any size. In fact, since I know the drag numbers, I can tell you he's easily 20 watts more aero than the last 3 Elite Time Trial World Champions. It's a position (UCI legal) he's worked on for many years

For anybody who is interested, his CdA on the Felt FA TRD was ~.19: http://fitwerx.com/...onews-dean-phillips/
That's a track bike, so front disk, no brakes, and no derailleurs.

That's still impressive for such a big guy, but not otherworldly. Several here on ST have him beat for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: How far are you willing to go for aero? [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am willing to remove my water bottle, my gloves and my saddle bag while at same time put on an aerolid, a skinsuit, a disk wheel, and an H3( if it helps) over my training set up(training set up netted me ~0.199 last night using BBS) Beyond that, who knows :)
Quote Reply
Re: How far are you willing to go for aero? [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
That's still impressive for such a big guy, but not otherworldly. Several here on ST have him beat for sure.

I think he might have a Cd record. The "A" appears to be huge! I might need to go back to the drawing board and play around with high front-end positions...
Quote Reply
Re: How far are you willing to go for aero? [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bernoullitrial wrote:
starting at 31mph and progressing to 32mph....just training and windy on a slow 250m track
https://www.strava.com/activities/1535616379/laps
My position is very normal but also very fast...for a 56 year old...lol
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JEcgUZVt8dpwIivf8W_LXnTHP2qPhQ4i/view?usp=sharing

John, something looks off. Your lap times on Strava and the video show a little under 21sec. Isn't this a 250m track? That comes out to ~27mph by my reckoning. Or did I goof somewhere?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jim,

Long time no see! Let’s get my cda below .240. How much is my head costing me?

Scott

Last edited by: GreatScott: May 4, 18 15:07
Quote Reply
Re: How far are you willing to go for aero? [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that does help! Gives me hope for my own broad shoulders.

^^^^^^Position posted above ^^^^^^

Ps; you found the Cuore suit faster than LG Course? I’m in LG currently.

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: May 4, 18 15:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff, you seem to be correct, there is bad strava data for that velodrome for a lot of folks, just look at the KOM chart, none of the top ones actually are a lap. looks like gps devices have no idea where one is when riding there, relatively speaking. to go 32mph on 20sec requires travelling ~286m per lap on a 250m track
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100% I would stop short of selling my dogs but thats about it.

Jim I have gone lower and worked on tucking my head in and shrugging the shoulders since I worked with you 2 years ago I still 5mm to go on this front end, but hard to take those out since i don't actually know if it would make me faster. My current position below many have told me looks to low, but I still produce the same power I always have and feels comfy just no clue at all if its faster the same or slower then my old position.

So your answer is HELL YEA I would take the time to adapt if it was a faster position not ever a question.

I keep fucking with my fit but no real clue if its more aero or not, thats the hard thing I can have my wife take videos from the side and front all day, but without testing it who knows. You throw out some costs I am sure myself and some others on here will be on the first plan out to LA.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Last edited by: BBLOEHR: May 4, 18 21:20
Quote Reply
Re: How far are you willing to go for aero? [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Nice pic. St.George 2016?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: How far are you willing to go for aero? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Galveston '18

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: How far are you willing to go for aero? [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:

Just curious if you rock out in between trainer sessions? Maybe a little Tom Sawyer or Hot for Teacher?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope that all is well with you Ron.

I had questions myself regarding the GPS data ...so we timed segments of 16 laps (4000m). The individual lap hand timed times were faster than what GPS was recording (sometimes more than a second) . There appears to be a dropped GPS signal at unpredictable times on the velodrome.
During the video recording I was not doing any intervals at that time.

For total accuracy...a chip timing system seems to be the only solution there.

Thanks
John
Quote Reply
Re: How far are you willing to go for aero? [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bernoullitrial wrote:
Hmm. Ever heard of this archaic device called a speed sensor? (I know it's 2018, but...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
Bernoullitrial wrote:

Hmm. Ever heard of this archaic device called a speed sensor? (I know it's 2018, but...)
On the track we combine wheel speed sensor data with track timing ribbon tape to provide a precise timing marker for when you cross the exact same location each lap. That enables a few things, e.g. measurement of actual distance travelled per lap, single lap integrals of CdA.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: How far are you willing to go for aero? [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to do the same, but I have trouble finding comfort in other than the tip of the saddle position with my current ISM saddle.

What kind of saddle are you using? How are you tilting it?

chicanery wrote:

On my P5, that is a 3 position setup.
Tip of saddle, hards high past the shifters.
Shifted back about 3cm, hands on the extensions, shifters.
Middle of the saddle, choked up on the extensions, wider elbows.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We combine the odometer feed with precise lap marking. Outdoors it makes out-and-back and single loop runs much simpler to work with.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: How far are you willing to go for aero? [fb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run Cobb Gen 2's on most of my bikes, with the nose and highest point of the rear basically level (which is actually tilted up a little) such that the far back position and the high point of the nose measure approximately the same to the pedal surface.

I have one ISM, which I only ride on the nose as well. I don't find it to be a versatile saddle. The Specialized Sitero can accommodate 2 positions, but not the furthest forward IME.
Quote Reply

Prev Next