Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shockwave for peroneal brevis tear?
Quote | Reply

In February I noticed that my left ankle was clicking a bit on the outside lateral bony part of my ankle. I got an MRI and turns out I had a small tear in the peroneus brevis and not subluxation. It was still surprising I had a tear since I had no pain while running, walking, or any activity. The main symptoms I experienced was some ankle stiffness and the sole of my foot felt stiff when I tried to point my foot. Even though it's not related to the peroneal tendons it seemed like it was also hard to lift my toes.

It doesn't say on my results how big the tear was but my doctor thought that I could fix it with 8 sessions of shockwave. I have gone through all 8 treatments and there is a lot of improvement and the bottom of my foot doesn't feel so stiff. While I was getting shockwave I did not run at all after 4 sessions I started doing some PT exercises and biking. It's also possible to move my toes now and I have a greater range of motion during ankle circles. However I can still feel the tendons moving over each other in a louder way than my good ankle.

It's been 3 weeks since my last shockwave treatment and I still feel the tendons snapping over each other and the ankle is still a bit stiff. Should I get another MRI to see if the tear is still there? Has anyone heard of any cases that shockwave was able to heal a tendon tear? This has been the longest time off I have had to deal with and I just want to fix this so I've been afraid to start running or do anything if my tendon is actually still torn.

MRI Results
There is superficial fraying and low to moderate grade partial thickness tearing of the inframalleolar peroneus brevis tendon which reconstitutes at the level of the anterior calcaneal body.
Low to moderate grade partial thickness tear of the peroneus brevis tendon throughout the hindfoot from the fibular tip to the anterior calcaneal body, with moderate common peroneal and both peroneus brevis and longus tenosynovitis.
Quote Reply
Re: Shockwave for peroneal brevis tear? [caligirl24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, it's been over a year since you posted this. How's the foot/ankle where the tear was located???
Quote Reply
Re: Shockwave for peroneal brevis tear? [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up having surgery after all. I had an appointment with an experienced surgeon who was an athlete himself and trusted his advice to get the surgery. It was lucky I did because turns out both my peroneal longus and brevis were torn and I also had my ATFL repaired and a bone chip removed. Recovery was good for normal activity but I'm still slowly trying to get back mobility and full range of motion. It's possible my left ankle will always be a little stiffer but doesn't stop me from any activities anymore. Overall glad I got it and focused on healing instead of looking up more treatments.
Quote Reply
Re: Shockwave for peroneal brevis tear? [caligirl24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caligirl24 wrote:
I ended up having surgery after all. I had an appointment with an experienced surgeon who was an athlete himself and trusted his advice to get the surgery. It was lucky I did because turns out both my peroneal longus and brevis were torn and I also had my ATFL repaired and a bone chip removed. Recovery was good for normal activity but I'm still slowly trying to get back mobility and full range of motion. It's possible my left ankle will always be a little stiffer but doesn't stop me from any activities anymore. Overall glad I got it and focused on healing instead of looking up more treatments.

I'm glad you are making progress and healing. I went ahead and had surgery on my ankle as well, and like you, very glad I did. I'm now a little over seven months out from surgery and back to running well again.
Quote Reply