Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I lost 16 pounds. [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn. Awesome to read about everyone's progress. After injuries caused me to give up running last fall, I jumped from 158 to 182 lbs. About 3 months ago, I got frustrated of being fatter and started cycling more. After seeing no results on the scale after a few weeks, I realized, like many on this thread, that I had to change my diet. I ate fairly well, but certainly didn't pass up candy or carbs or my kids' fries when offered. So I gave up all added sugars but didn't change much else, which helped with the first 6-8 pounds. Then I resumed eating gluten free and started cycling a bit more, which helped with a few more pounds and then hit a plateau 2-3 weeks ago around 171 lbs.

So I downloaded one of those fitness apps that had recommended numbers of carbs, protein, etc. to see whether my diet was causing any issues. And sure enough, the diet that I thought was pretty good contained a shit-ton of sodium and too little protein and other minerals, most days i was eating over 2000 mg more than the recommended amount (which the app says is ~2300 mg/day for me). Anyhow, I've now learned which foods have less sodium and, sure enough, have dropped 3 more lbs and feel so much better.
Quote Reply
Re: I lost 16 pounds. [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Starting roughly around the new year, I decided to get my shit together. Cut way down on the booze (craft beer mostly), stop eating crap, got serious in the gym. I was 210 lbs. as recently as two months ago when I flipped the switch. Here's what I did.

- Went on a keto-ish diet for roughly two weeks, then backed off the crazy carb restrictions and just kept the carbs to a minimum. Lean protein, healthy fats, lots of water, no junk food. Eggs, grilled chicken, and avocado almost daily.
- Exercise every day, gym or home. High intensity weight training with super sets and constantly switching up the routine. Abs and pushups every day, to failure.
- No cardio whatsoever, except from climbing the stairs in my hospital during shifts, ten floors up and down, twice per shift

Current weight: 194 lbs. Energy level off the charts. Stronger than when I was at 210 lbs. No junk food cravings. I've come to enjoy the feeling of being hungry and dislike the feeling of being full. I had forgotten how addicting being in great shape can be.

There were two previous periods that I went beast mode on fitness that I can recall. First was in my teens when I discovered body building, and second when I decided to go from couch to marathon (to ironman, to ultra,...). There's always seems to be a trigger that lights these fires, beyond just the new year resolution and looking to drop a few before beach season.

This time it was David Goggins' interview on the Joe Rogan podcast. If that guy can't light a fire under your ass, you probably don't have an ass.

Well done! Congratulations! I know how hard it is to get oneself moving like you've done.

War is god
Quote Reply

Prev Next