Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

foolish ramblings - running shose
Quote | Reply
You know what, there is nothing worse than a crappy pair of running shoes. And right now I have the crappiest pair in the world. Wont mention any brand names, but these shoes are kill’in me. Ripp’in my feet to shreds. I have had the shoes for about six months and they just keep getting worse.

So the big question is, ‘Why don’t you simply get a new pair of shoes? What type of fool continues to run mile after mile in a pair of shoes that make your feet bleed?’ And here in lies the heart of my issue.

Buying a pair of running shoes has become a more technical and complex process than flying the space shuttle. Read any of the tri rag articles about running shoes or an individual shoe company’s web site and there are terms, techniques, and consideration regarding proper shoe ergonomics, structure, and construction that would confuse an astrophysicist!! All I know is that when I start reading about overpronating (?), torsional support (??), or stability considerations based on weight and foot strike (???) my head begins to swirl so much I wish it would simply explode.

Beyond the “helpful” articles are the even more confusing manufacture ads. Take this gem, a little barrage of verbiage copied verbatim from a very recent ad. “3D Grid Triumph… Angled 3D Grid System – that provides shock attenuation and cushioning heel; Internal Midfoot Support Bridge – that helps keep the foot in a neutral position in the midfoot phase of the gait cycle…” OK – I am no genius but after 10 years of higher education (not all at the undergraduate level mid-you ;} ) and you think I would understand a sneaker ad. What in the hell is shock attenuation and if someone can tell me what the midfoot phase of the gait cycle really means and why it is so important, well I am nominating you of a McArthur Genius award.

As a kid I remember that there were really only four or five types of sneakers. Addidas, Puma, Converse, and the new hot shots Nike and New Balance. And each of these companies only had a few styles. Beyond that your choice was picking a pair of tennis shoes made of synthetic leather (read hard plastic) out of a 6x8 foot bargain bin at the Discount Shoe Tree store. You know the type of place I am talking about. Incredibly bright florescent lighting above and horrendously dirty linoleum floor below. How did these places ever stay in business with the enormous electrical bill and selling $3.99 shoes?

Granted for year my dad always opted for getting our sneakers via the giant crate at a store that could easily be converted into an auto repair shop if sneaker sales went south. But finally my brother and I got him to break down and spend a few more dollars for a ‘good’ pair of shoes. You know the type. Ones that would make us run really, really fast.

We became Puma Men based on the cool synthetic bluish suede shoes they made. There was no discussion beyond which shoes looked the best and cost the least. Deal done. Had I even mentioned to my dad that there was no way I would take the Puma’s because of the possibility that they would cause me to underpronate, well bargain bin here I come.

Thus buying running shoes was always an easy task. All I needed was good value, fair fit, and maybe a hint of style. Oh Ya, and my dad being in a good mood because who in their right mind would ever consider paying $15.99 for tennis shoes?! Obviously we would abandon the quest for the later (style) in the event the former two (value and fit) were found.

But today the world is completely different. Buying running shoes is simply the most complex process on the planet. So difficult that I currently am suffering in constant, bloody pain due to the reality that it is far too overwhelming a task to go into a mega sporting goods store and buy some comfortable running shoes. Though I have tried, I cannot face the ‘Wall of Sneakers” that is far higher and longer than the Vietnam Memorial, with more shoes on it than names inscribed on that truly moving monument.

Nor can I believe that I am having an intelligent, informed product conversation, a conversation that will determine the fate of my feet for months to come, with some sales kid who was probably just moments before picking his nose and cracking fart jokes in the break room. At $5.15 an hour I cannot expect any expert advice.

And please don’t get me started on specialty running shops. I know the folks who work there are very informed and only what to help me. Truly good people. But once they start in on the technical questions… Well I think you know where I am going. All I can tell you is that on days when I want to feel really stupid, those days when my spouse is out of town so I have not gotten my daily does of whoop-ass because Rob has done something incredibly bone-headed, well I head straight for the running shoe store. I know I can always leave there feeling dumber than a rock.

Thus I carry on, writhing in foot pain with every step I take. Incredibly embarrassed realizing that a simple decision I used to make as a kid, what sneakers to buy, has as an adult rendered me a complete idiot. What has all this madness come to? Maybe I should just run bare foot!

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Re: foolish ramblings - running shose [Foolish Tri Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a bit strange how I research deligently and fuss over every little detail with my bikes, but when it comes to running shoes I go to the running store, try on the shoes, they fit, pay the sales person and don't think about it any more. Oviously I'm more of a cyclist than a runner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Save yourself the agony ... just run barefoot. (Just kiddin).

Unless you have a specific diagnosed issue (plantar fascia, pronate really excessively), just go and try on some different brands, models and see what feels good. The shoe that works should be the one that feels good on your feet (in the store). Don't say, "oh it feels a bit odd now, but will feel better once I run in it for a week."

If you stop and try to overanalyze all the different options etc, you'll go bonkers ... as it sounds like you are.

Good luck.

Dennis
Quote Reply
Re: foolish ramblings - running shose [Dmcminn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I think most of the information about shoes is a sales pitch. I buy two pairs of shoes a year, one yesterday and I'll get a new pair in August or September. I've never noticed ANY difference in any of the shoes I've bought. They all seem to work great. Maybe I'm just lucky, biomechanically speaking, but I don't even try to figure out what shoes I'm supposed to buy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you stop trying to ask the guy at the running store technical questions, he'll do two things for you: 1) He'll put you in comfortable shoes, and 2) He let you leave without making you feel stupid.

All that techno-jargon is no more than wanker fodder to justify the ridiculously high prices of sneakers that cost about $5 to make and millions to market, and to give running geeks ultimately meaningless data to obsess about. What you need is a comfortable shoe. When you go into a good shoe store and start spouting terms like those in your quoted ad, the sales guy will give it right back to you...if he knows his stuff. If you go into a good shop and say, "I am a triathlete, I run about 30 miles per week, I race at 7:30 pace, and I am looking for a training shoe" the person helping you will observe your stance/gait and put 3-4 suitable shoes in front of you within minutes. All you have to do is decide which one is most comfortable or looks the coolest, depending on how messed up your priorities are.

I've only had one pair of truly awful running shoes, and it's because I went into Marshall's and bought a pair of what turned out to be uber-motion control shoes, when, as it turns out, I need stability/cushioning shoes.

If you aren't just (justifiably) venting about the sneaker industry, you need to fix your problem ASAP. Running in shoes that hurt your feet or legs makes running an unpleasant experience, and can cause long term damage to your body.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel (felt) your pain. What was worse, in an effort to educate myself on the above topics, different websites had different diagnosis. If I used the methodology on website X, I could use a "cushioned" shoe, if I used Y, I needed a "stability" shoe. I finally settled on "stability" and went in search of the right pair of shoes. One mag listed a particular shoe as a "structured cushioning" shoe, while another listed it as "motion control," and thus the cycle continued.

Finally went to two specialty shoe stores (what could a second opinion hurt at this point), got a gait analysis, and have been running comfy since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to admit that post was almost too long to read in it's entirety but there are several problems here, foremast is gone are the days of old. Yes the world and society has evolved. We are a complicated and demanding bunch - sorry it is that way - but that is progress, right.

Back to your shoe problem. Go to a running specific shoe store not a 'sporting goods' store with a 'wall of shoes.' If you do not have a running shop where actual runners work, call Road Runner Spots which is a huge catalog outfit, look them up on the internet, they have an 800 number. They have runners working thier customer service lines and taking orders. These people can answer all your questions.

Sure advertisements feature all sorts of terminology that might not make sense to you, but it's not hard to learn and is helpful to know about pronation, gait, mid foot support and cushioning system (in your example 'grid' I believe is Saucony's system.) Being an ad it will have some fluff in there and words that mean nothing but sound good and make the shoe sound better - another reason to talk to someone who would know. Not to sell you on Road Runner too much but they also have a deal where you can join thier club and once you are a member you can return shoes you don't like after 60 days no questions asked. This allows you to try out shoes to see if they are right for you since you can't try them on before you buy - that will take some getting used to.

In the end it is about fit and comfort. It should not be impossible to find shoes that fit you and suit your needs. Sure they are expensive, again the world is a bigger place since the days of the five and dime stores.

Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Re: foolish ramblings - running shose [snepper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with going to a running speciality store and not asking tech questions just tell them what you are and your needs and they will as said before present you with several choices. A good store will let you at least go out on the sidewalk and try them out. One additional thing take your present shoes so they can look at the wear pattern which will help them determine which shoes masy work. My experience was wearing nike for 15yrs with much success then nike changed their sizing and having worn 10 1/2 suddenly 10 1/2 was to small and 11 was a boat. I tried multiple brands with moderate success and the one I liked best caused heel pain bordering on achilles tendonitis. I ended up in another running shoe store the salesman looked at my shoes watched me standing barefoot front and back running away and back barefoot had me try a specific shoe and have been very happy with that shoe now going on 4 yrs. Comfort is realy key. good luck
Quote Reply
Re: foolish ramblings - running shose [olddude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same like cerveloguy - runningshoes arn't sexy like bikes.

Nevertheless they shouldn't hurt. I always bought at a local shop using video to look on your running style - perfect. I used Asics 2020, 2030, 2050, 2060 ... you get the idea.

This year I thought I am too smart to pay list price any more and bought the 2080 online. BAD MISTAKE! They changed the construction and made the support shorter. As a result I injured my ankle and couldn't run for weeks.

Back to my running shop, they tested some Kayanos and I went home with them. At home looking up the internet I discovered, that my Kayanos are not the actual model but an old one. Asked the shop, why? Guess what - the Kayano VIII is crap and the IX is different as well. Couldn't believe it before I saw my feet running in the video. I will never buy running shoes online anymore, don't read reviews and dont't buy from shops without a video.
Quote Reply