Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Israelis Catch Iranians With Their Pants Down (Iranian Nuclear Program) [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Thom wrote:
Am I the only one that saw this:

Intelligence experts and diplomats said he did not seem to have presented a "smoking gun" showing that Iran had violated the terms of the agreement, although he may have helped make a case on behalf of skeptics in the U.S. who want to scrap it.

I don't know about anything else, but if the Israelis really got all those documents and other materials out of Tehran, right under the noses of the Iranians, then they have one hell of a spy network and presence in the Islamic Republic. No doubt, factions as well as enemies standing against the ruling regime assisted the Mossad in all this for their own reasons. If true, it's probably the greatest intelligence op of the 21st century to date, that we know about.

There's no way the Israelis -- let alone those Gulf Arab (Sunni Muslim) states like Saudi Arabia -- are going to let the Iranians (Shiite Muslim, and apocalyptic Twelvers at their ruling levels) develop a nuclear weapon, that much is clear. The Saudis have already made clear that if Iran goes nuclear, they'll quickly obtain nuclear weapons of their own, most likely by purchasing them from Pakistan, which has the second-largest Sunni Muslim population in the world behind Indonesia.

Iran is attempting to set itself up as a regional hegemon, and that's not sitting well with all the predominantly Sunni states near it, and I'm not sure any of those folks -- including the Israelis, who have said repeatedly that they won't tolerate any hint of the possibility of another Holocaust -- understand the concept of mutual assured destruction quite the way the Soviet Union and the United States did back during the Cold War.

What you say may all be true. It may have been an amazing intelligence operation. But you didn't address the substance of Thom's post.

It still seems that the documents don't illustrate violations of the existing deal, and if anything serve to emphasise the need for an international agreement to monitor Iran's nuclear program to ensure it doesn't use that program to develop nuclear weapo... WAIT A MOMENT!

I don't have an amazing intelligence operation, though my intelligence is amazing. ;-) Israel has an amazing intelligence operation, though. And your talking point came straight out of the left yesterday, as far as staying in the Iranian nuclear deal rather then dumping it and starting over with those folks.

Personally, I think the Iranian people are great. Generous and kind and very on top of things. However, they aren't in charge. A bunch of 11th century medievalists with weird ideas about bringing on the apocalypse are in charge. That's where the problem lies with Iran. As soon as they can, they will develop a nuclear weapon and we will all stand around just as shocked as we were when North Korea did so. That's not a good look for us or for the West in general.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Israelis Catch Iranians With Their Pants Down (Iranian Nuclear Program) [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
We expected Iran to 'unlearn' how to enrich uranium? Is that like how we expect DPRK to give up nuclear weapons?

Yeah, but they probably shouldn't be able to just unplug the centrifuges and call it all good.
Quote Reply
Re: Israelis Catch Iranians With Their Pants Down (Iranian Nuclear Program) [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems there are various areas that the information gathered by the Israelis addresses. The Obama admin was going to get a deal at all costs, and learned little about the military dimension, ultimately taking the assurance of the religious and political muckety-muks that their religion would never allow for the making of a nuclear weapon. Eli Lake hits on some important points in this piece:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-04-30/israel-exposes-iran-nuclear-lies-and-limits-of-u-s-intelligence
Quote Reply
Re: Israelis Catch Iranians With Their Pants Down (Iranian Nuclear Program) [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
Seems there are various areas that the information gathered by the Israelis addresses. The Obama admin was going to get a deal at all costs, and learned little about the military dimension, ultimately taking the assurance of the religious and political muckety-muks that their religion would never allow for the making of a nuclear weapon. Eli Lake hits on some important points in this piece:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-04-30/israel-exposes-iran-nuclear-lies-and-limits-of-u-s-intelligence

Steven Simon also hits on some important points: https://nyti.ms/2Fy8Pd6

There are some big discrepancies between those two takes.
Quote Reply
Re: Israelis Catch Iranians With Their Pants Down (Iranian Nuclear Program) [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
If true, it's probably the greatest intelligence op of the 21st century to date, that we know about.

Is that supposed to be in pink? Files containing information that apparently everyone already knew dated from around 2003 taken from a dilapidated, unguarded warehouse is the greatest intelligence op of the 21st century we know about?

Better than locating OBL? Or even the 2010 Stuxnet attack?

What's second place on your list, nabbing Reality Winner?
Last edited by: trail: May 1, 18 18:36
Quote Reply
Re: Israelis Catch Iranians With Their Pants Down (Iranian Nuclear Program) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
If true, it's probably the greatest intelligence op of the 21st century to date, that we know about.

Is that supposed to be in pink? Files containing information that apparently everyone already knew dated from around 2003 taken from a dilapidated, unguarded warehouse is the greatest intelligence op of the 21st century we know about?

Better than locating OBL? Or even the 2010 Stuxnet attack?

What's second place on your list, nabbing Reality Winner?

That's your characterization of the grab, which is fine with me. But what I'm talking about is the ability of covert (Israeli) personnel physically maneuvering around deep in the heart of bad guy territory right under the noses of said bad guys to pull this off. That's some impressive and audacious work, right there.

As far as OBL, Pakistan hosted a CIA presence, and most of the work done to find OBL was carried out in countries nominally allied with the US, or through ELINT (electronic intelligence) channels, both in the US and allied nations. That tended to lessen the likelihood of physical danger to many of the people involved (though there was hazard to the operators out in the field, for sure). This excludes the raid itself, when specops/specwar folks and CIA paramilitaries went in to OBL's compound to do the physical work, which could have easily resulted in many of them killed It was also apparently live-blogged by a few neighbors. How crazy is that?

To be clear, some CIA folks have bought the farm during the GWOT, no doubt about it. Mike Spann, the Agency paramilitary operator killed very early in the Afghanistan effort, was one. And most especially that female spy runner and her folks that got lit up by that suicide bomber in Afghanistan some years back. And who of us really knows just what sort of HUMINT (human intelligence) assets we have in the Islamic Republic? It could be we have an extensive network of on-the-ground folks in Tehran and elsewhere. I hope we do.

Stuxnet was also great, but it was most likely a bunch of computer geeks sitting in the basement over at NSA. How does that compare to outlandish bravery and the kind of intelligence/spy tradecraft of which Robert Ludlum or John LeCarre novels are made? Tracking down and then getting a half-ton of classified information out of the heart of bad guy territory was outlandishly crazy. Since this was an Israeli/Mossad op, the word I'd use for it is "chutzpah."

C'mon, man; if true, what the Israelis did was deep-blue hero stuff. Give 'em the props they deserve on that front, at least. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Israelis Catch Iranians With Their Pants Down (Iranian Nuclear Program) [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:

What I've learned over the decades with the Iranians is to never take ANYTHING they say at face value. This goes back to the late-1970s, early 80s (where they had a presence in Beirut with the Shiite Amal militia that eventually became Hezbollah, or "Party of God") and when we were mixing it up with them in the Arabian/Persian Gulf in the mid-to-late-1980s, something I know from personal, first-hand experience. Today, they want to complete a kind of land bridge or link from Syria to Beirut and work on encircling Israel while also taking down in detail each Gulf Arab state that opposes them.

They also lie to Western nations constantly, mostly because they believe that any lie told is permissible in defense of their faith (Sunni Muslim Twelver, with a deep apocalyptic streak). They're still the world's number-one state sponsor of terrorism and they've bombed or otherwise killed many people in a number of different countries, including Argentina. They've been personally responsible for the deaths of hundreds of American servicemen and servicewomen (not to mention government civilian personnel) over the decades and especially since our involvement in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Anyone with two brain cells they can rub together understands the above about Iran's ruling regime of ayatollahs, mullahs, imams and fanatic Republican Guard types.

Personally, I never believed the JCPOA would do much to stop Iran from developing nuclear weapons, just as not being in the JCPOA won't do anything to stop them as well. So I don't really care whether we stay in the deal with Iran or not. Mostly, because the JCPOA is like that piece of paper that Neville Chamberlain waved around upon his return from Munich. It's a nice sentiment, but in the end it will be useless. The truly hard work for the West and its allies will come once the Iranians gain a nuclear weapon. Then we're going to have some extremely difficult choices to make.

Last edited by: big kahuna: May 2, 18 4:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:

What I've learned over the decades with the Iranians is to never take ANYTHING they say at face value.

Sure. That's why the "weapons deal" was made instead of just believing them when they said they weren't developing nuclear weapons.

Quote:
So I don't really care whether we stay in the deal with Iran or not.

I think we should stick by our deal if the terms of the deal are being met. Even if it didn't go through Congress, etc.

If the term were violated, we should absolutely pull out.

And it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the terms are being violated, and there's a secret program. But we got exactly zero evidence of that yesterday.

But if we pull out without the terms being violated, I have no idea how we can expect North Korea to trust us in making a new deal with them. It gives the impression to the world that when you deal with the U.S. you're just dealing with a personality (e.g. Obama or Trump), and not dealing with a state. And that every new personality will just rip up what the last one did.

Quote Reply
Re: Israelis Catch Iranians With Their Pants Down (Iranian Nuclear Program) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
gregtryin wrote:

I can only hope the naive lefties in Europe join in rebuking Iran for the deception.

While righties continue to fawn over North Korea and their "very honorable" leader, and their decision to denuclearize for about the 10th time over the last dozen years?

Israel has some play here, by going public. Maybe the Western intelligence services didn't buy into the information passed through intelligence channels, so Netanyahu decided to make it political by making a spectacle of it and performing intelligence-through-populism.

Pompeo hasn't confirmed it, and he's hardly a "naive leftie in Europe," which means that at a minimum Netanyahu didn't bother to coordinate this announcement with the very Israel-friendly White House, which doesn't make much sense either.

There's a chance that Israel views U.S. intelligence as tainted post Iraq WMD and thus chose to present their case to the world on their own. Don't forget the Begin Doctrine is alive and well in Israel. If they feel threatened (and why shouldn't they? Iran's leaders routinely call for Israel's destruction) they will act.

People don't realize this but the SpaceX BFR will radically change geopolitics. It will make Project Thor technically and economically viable. Nukes for small states will become completely irrelevant because they would have no means of protecting them (even Iran's deepest and most hardened bunker wouldn't stand a chance against a "Rod from God"). Russia would be relatively unaffected as it's warheads are spread out over a vast area and many of them are mounted on SLBMs.
Quote Reply
Re: Israelis Catch Iranians With Their Pants Down (Iranian Nuclear Program) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
People don't realize this but the SpaceX BFR will radically change geopolitics. It will make Project Thor technically and economically viable.

Have you been smoking weed and reading reddit while watching Expanse?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

What I've learned over the decades with the Iranians is to never take ANYTHING they say at face value.

Sure. That's why the "weapons deal" was made instead of just believing them when they said they weren't developing nuclear weapons.

Quote:
So I don't really care whether we stay in the deal with Iran or not.

I think we should stick by our deal if the terms of the deal are being met. Even if it didn't go through Congress, etc.

If the term were violated, we should absolutely pull out.

And it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the terms are being violated, and there's a secret program. But we got exactly zero evidence of that yesterday.

But if we pull out without the terms being violated, I have no idea how we can expect North Korea to trust us in making a new deal with them. It gives the impression to the world that when you deal with the U.S. you're just dealing with a personality (e.g. Obama or Trump), and not dealing with a state. And that every new personality will just rip up what the last one did.

So you’re assuming a deal with Whoa! fat doesn’t go through Congress. Can you name someone who would vote against it?

Cuz I can name a majority of both houses that didn’t vote for the Iran deal. 100% of both, in fact.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Re: Israelis Catch Iranians With Their Pants Down (Iranian Nuclear Program) [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stal wrote:

So you’re assuming a deal with Whoa! fat doesn’t go through Congress. Can you name someone who would vote against it?

Cuz I can name a majority of both houses that didn’t vote for the Iran deal. 100% of both, in fact.

Well I think it depends on what the deal is. As usual, North Korea will likely want goodies.

So I think if we have to give billions to North Korea and the inspection terms aren't at least to Iran-standards, then we could certainly get people who don't vote for it. If South Korea pays (or Mexico!) pays for everything, then it'd be essentially a freebie.

Trump first needs to get Bolton on board, though. Bolton doesn't seem to hold this sudden turn around in high regard, and he's specifying that denuclearization be Libya-style, e.g. literally packing up every bit of equipment and material and flying it to the U.S. Kim Jong Un knows how that story ends.

North Korea had mentioned wanting a declaration by the U.S. to never attack North Korea. I don't see anyone Congressman ever signing that, unless it had so many exceptions listed as to be essentially meaningless.

In any case, it's not clear if this deal would go through Congress either. So far it's just pillow talk, and Trump seems to have no more deference for the Constitutional balance of government than Obama did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

People don't realize this but the SpaceX BFR will radically change geopolitics. It will make Project Thor technically and economically viable.

Have you been smoking weed and reading reddit while watching Expanse?

Nope. https://en.wikipedia.org/.../Kinetic_bombardment
Quote Reply

Prev Next