Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I noticed... [Derekl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derekl wrote:
I'm confused. Is this post primarily to disparage people's looks or their equipment choices based on their looks?

Also could you please a graph of looks to equipment prices so I stay in compliance? Thanks.

This.

Entire original post feels like high school all over again.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: I noticed... [TIT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TIT wrote:
How much are these folks getting paid to becoming a walking advertisement? Perhaps that is how they can afford a superbike AND the excess nutrition.

No, they afford the superbike because they went to school and got real jobs. The excess 'nutrition' shows because some have a family life outside of triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: I noticed... [LuchaLibre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread is hilarious. That's all I gotta say.

Folks, don't take yourselves so seriously.

BTW, I'm the guy the OP described. (other than the tattoo, and my bike is hardly top of the line, but other than that....)

And I just enjoyed a delicious glazed cinnamon roll with my coffee. Mmm, that was good.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: I noticed... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^ and I like him! haha he helped me with my slow as hell swimming multiple times!
Even if you are fat with a cheap bike inhaling cinnabuns - I still heart you Jason haha
Last edited by: LuchaLibre: May 1, 18 6:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LuchaLibre wrote:
^ and I like him! haha he helped me with my slow as hell swimming multiple times!
Even if you are fat with a cheap bike inhaling cinnabuns - I still heart you Jason haha

I'm not fat, I'm stocky. ;-)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: I noticed... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I'm not fat, I'm stocky. ;-)

I personally prefer the term "power athlete" ;o)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LuchaLibre wrote:
I am going to offer up an apology - this thread went south fast and it was certainly not my intention. I just do not think. I have an overweight sister and father and I WISH they would do triathlons. I was not making fun of overweight people or trying to discourage people from sport. I was simply trying to state that I noticed people are trying way to hard to look and play the part. I will leave the original thread below, but for anyone I may have offended, I do apologize.

Apologies??? This forum has really gone downhill. H20Fun would have said something about snowflakes, and found a way to talk about how fast he can run while pushing a double stroller.

...wistful sigh.....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: May 1, 18 7:25
Quote Reply
Re: I noticed... [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Jloewe wrote:
cmd111183 wrote:
Different people complete IM's for different reasons. Some people are not interested in sacrificing every aspect of their life to be uber competitive. Some are happy to have moderation and the personal accomplishment of completing an IM.

Don't get me wrong, all of the kudos to you for maintaining a regimented diet. Other's would rather have white carbs and beer. Don't think that it diminishes their achievement or makes them any less of an athlete.

I suppose "athlete" is a subjective term. Anyone who drags their fat or skinny ass around an IM course is an athlete in my book though.

+1 on that. It's hard enough to finish an Ironman.

Is it though?

Hardest single day in endurance racing as IM says.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: I noticed... [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So in my opinion it's awesome when anyone (who can swim without endangering themselves) chooses to do triathlon. I would lump a sprint or oly into that bucket. I do kind of wonder about those who take on the bigger challenges (IM, stand alone marathons, etc) without really training for it though. I remember watching my cities big marathon a few years back at mile 3 and commenting to my now wife that if you were walking by mile 3 you probably should have focused on a shorter race. She adamantly disagreed under the theory that it's awesome those participants got up and are out there. We agreed to disagree, but I still kind of feel like walking an entire marathon is a waste of resources.
Quote Reply
Re: I noticed... [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree with you wholeheartedly. The ones I know don't even have their bikes looked at or maintained, when they ride it it sounds like a squeaking squealing pig wheel because they've never lubed their chains, ever. Furthermore they DO NOT RACE LOCAL so clearly they are not helping out anybody but themselves so they can have some bragging rights. They want the medal ad the certificate and the tattoo so other envy their accomplishment.

Now this is a specifics group of people I'm talking about, not fictional characters and not the greater Ironman community. It's just a head scratcher to me that people would get into a sport without fitness or health in mind. Especially one as grueling and difficult as Ironman.

All this is to say I stopped riding with them or training with them as they had no interest in getting better and their lack of concern for their safety via regular bike maintenance left me feeling like they were a hazard to my own health. I'm certain this is a one off as surely it's strictly me who's experienced this.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: I noticed... [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
$700, to you, may seem a lot, but not to others. That's why you see folks driving BMWs and Yugos on the freeway. Same reasons why you see folks live in McMansions while others live in run down apartments.

I have a friend, super wealthy. She purchased a top of the line wetsuit once. She didn't like the fit. Instead of returning it, she gave it away and then bought another top of the line one from a different brand. She has done the same thing to a few pairs of cycling shoes.

People like to spend money on things that they are passionate about. For some, it's an uber bike. For others, it's golf clubs. They have the best golf clubs that money can buy, but can't break par. Don't hate them for rocking the fancy stuff without the fitness or skills to back it up. They must be doing something right to not blink twice about purchasing stuff that you consider expensive.

I agree, plus the casual observer has no idea what the full story is. I am midpack, typically, and although I don't have the fanciest gear out there, I can afford some nice gear. I have done two IM (no tattoo) and have developed some health problems that have not done my appearance any favors. On some days, I feel great, but on days like Sunday, I cut my run short after less than two miles because I didn't think I could make it any farther. I am sure that I look like a complete poseur with the watch and the bike or whatever, but I am also not going to stop using the good equipment that I have just so it matches my body and appeases some stranger.
Last edited by: happyscientist: May 1, 18 12:37
Quote Reply

Prev Next