Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much does base bar width matter?
Quote | Reply
So I've been debating whether to upgrade the base bar on my bike with one of profile design SVET base bars that are on sale on amazon. The sale however is only on the widest bars (44cm) does that actually defeat the purpose of getting a more aerodynamic base bar? Should I wait for a deal on one of the narrower widths?
Quote Reply
Re: How much does base bar width matter? [DrH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends.

If your current base bar has no aero section, then yes a wide svet will be an upgrade. At the same time a narrower bar will be considerably more aero than a wide bar so if you’re going from a semi aero narrow bar to a wide svet it might be net neutral. I don’t have hard numbered for you and it’s going to depend on your bike and fit anyway.

The better question is if you can ride a narrow bar. Bar width affects handling and fit so you want to know the bar actually fits, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you're only on the base bar for short periods of time (starting out, climbing, cornering and braking) I'd go for narrower bars than my road bars. I'm 42 cm on the road and 40 cm on my TT bike. Definitely don't go wider, as that's just more bar in the wind.

Jim Escobar
FIST & Retul Certified Fitter
ProTriFit - St. Augustine, FL
Quote Reply
Re: How much does base bar width matter? [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Karl. My current base bar has no aero section, but as you mentioned the main concern should probably be fit. My guess is that I can probably ride a narrow bar since I'm a small (5'7") guy but I will have to talk to my fitter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The sale on a Svet is insane. Just found out about the low price. My Felt has a stock TT bar that's pretty winged but alloy. Anyone know if the Svet would be an upgrade from that?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply