Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero Shoe Covers - Worth the Effort?
Quote | Reply

Any recommendations?

What kind of benefit might they give over 112 miles?

How about ease of putting on/taking off?

Is the time saving greater than the added T1/T2 time?!

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Shoe Covers - Worth the Effort? [smallard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iirc, show covers may save 3-5 seconds in a 40k, so 14-22 seconds in an IM. But, they don't always save time and may cost you time. In a 40k TT which is often decided by seconds, they may be worth it. For an IM, unless you have them on your shoes and can do a flying mount and just pull them up, probably not worth it.

I could easily be wrong either way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The aerodynamics of shoes and lower legs is straight voodoo. The savings could be trivial or they could be quite large (>30 seconds over 40k). YMMV, the only way to know is to test.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Apr 30, 18 4:44
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Shoe Covers - Worth the Effort? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
The aerodynamics of shoes and lower legs is straight voodoo. The savings could be trivial or they could be (>30 seconds over 40k). YMMV, the only way to know is to test.

This!

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Shoe Covers - Worth the Effort? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, and I think GP knows as well as anyone.

If I were going to be lazy about it and not test, I'd either A.) pick the cleanest "looking" shoe I could get my foot in quickly (lace ups with stretch laces seem popular with the triathletes these days) or B.) Buy a pair of just the toe cover velotoze and hope for the best (technically you can do both I suppose)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Shoe Covers - Worth the Effort? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If transitioning like in triathlon, I'd say no. Shoe covers worth a damn are super stretchy to get on and will take you at least a minute.

In the time trial world, yeah, most people and world tour teams use them.

The same person in a TT vs. an IM distance will average a lot higher speed, meaning more wattage savings.

Now.......having a cycling skinsuit under your swim outfit I'd say it's a yes. Worth it. Massive gains there. Mine in TT's is worth probably 1/2 mph or more at 24mph+ over a tight team fit cycling kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make it easy on yourself. Do the math... Savings is approx 22-44 seconds so see if you can get them on in less than 22 seconds. Either you can or you can't. I personally cannot.

However, if you find yourself in a relay or a strait TT where transition might not count as much go for it.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply