Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMTX- Ask Me Anything [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recovery is going well. Slowly getting back to the swing of things. In my normal routine now, which helps a lot. Still spending extra time in the Normatec boots and trying to squeeze in extra sleep whenever possible. Workouts are slowly starting to ramp up, so should be ready to race in 10 days in Chatty.

JackStraw13 wrote:
Matt, How’s the recovery going?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX- Ask Me Anything [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swim with Tim and Magnolia whenever I'm in the woodlands, but the rest of the workouts are written by coach Julie. There is no Master's group anywhere near me, so if I am not on the road I swim alone. The pool I swim in doesn't have lane lines, is usually between 83-85 degrees, and I usually have the pleasure of being accompanied by aqua aerobics. It's open for 75 minutes in the morning and an hour over lunch...that's it. But the water is wet and its 25 yards, so works for me. I swim around 20k per week, sometimes more sometimes less.

Really have no idea what I could swim an all out mile in. I can't even come up with a guess on that one. I did a few 5:2x 500s in the workouts the week of Texas, but they weren't an all out effort.

ericmulk wrote:
OK, since no one else has asked, can you tell us a bit about your swim training??? I know you swam with Tim's group at Magnolia Masters for several weeks each winter for a few yrs, but what about the other 90% of the year??? Does Tim send you workouts??? Do you swim alone or with a Masters group??? How many yd per week typically??? What do you think you could do for an all out 500, 1000, and/or 1650??? Always curious about how you top guys train. :) Thanks!!!
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX- Ask Me Anything [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll wear then on long brick workouts, some of my 20plus mile runs and any time I have a niggle in my calf or achilles.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX- Ask Me Anything [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
Good question...and one I wish I had an easy answer for. There have been so many little adjustments that we have made. One major adjustment is that being I almost never use erg mode on the trainer any more (with the exception of cadence work...and maybe some of the recovery rides where it is ok to zone out a bit). Staying mentally engaged and focused on controlling the power, not just producing the power (if that makes sense). I've also made a few position changes which I think have helped me feel more stable on the bike. And I have just gained a lot of confidence. I've always relied on my run, but they have been pushing me more and more out of my comfort zone on the bike and making me prove that I can still run hard after.

muohio2004 wrote:
When you said that Matt has helped you learn how to express the power outdoors that you are putting out on the trainer what are you doing to do that???? Just curious as I (and I believe a lot of age groupers) do most of their training indoors. Thanks and congrats on the win!!!

Hi Matt,
Congrats on the win.Fantastic performance. I've enjoyed reading all the questions and answers. Very good of you to give up your time. Matt is producing some great results with those he is working with - triathlon and cycling alike. In relation to the trainer rides and not using erg mode. What trainer do you use? Instead of erg mode do you use slope/resistance and work the gears to do the sessions? Or how do you implement them? Thanks.

P.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX- Ask Me Anything [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
I swim with Tim and Magnolia whenever I'm in the woodlands, but the rest of the workouts are written by coach Julie. There is no Master's group anywhere near me, so if I am not on the road I swim alone. The pool I swim in doesn't have lane lines, is usually between 83-85 degrees, and I usually have the pleasure of being accompanied by aqua aerobics. It's open for 75 minutes in the morning and an hour over lunch...that's it. But the water is wet and its 25 yards, so works for me. I swim around 20k per week, sometimes more sometimes less.

Really have no idea what I could swim an all out mile in. I can't even come up with a guess on that one. I did a few 5:2x 500s in the workouts the week of Texas, but they weren't an all out effort.

Wow, no lane lines...what a bummer but, OTOH and looking on the positive side, i guess the water aerobics people give you some rough water experience. :) If you did a few 5:2x 500s in a workout, i'd estimate you at a 5:0x, or maybe 4:5x, in all out 500, which is pretty quick espec for an AOS swimming relatively low yardage. Thanks again for answering all of our Qs!!!

ericmulk wrote:
OK, since no one else has asked, can you tell us a bit about your swim training??? I know you swam with Tim's group at Magnolia Masters for several weeks each winter for a few yrs, but what about the other 90% of the year??? Does Tim send you workouts??? Do you swim alone or with a Masters group??? How many yd per week typically??? What do you think you could do for an all out 500, 1000, and/or 1650??? Always curious about how you top guys train. :) Thanks!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX- Ask Me Anything [pgibbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an ancient computrainer that I'm still holding on to. Yes, I just use the slope resistance mode and shift like I would riding outside.
Quote Reply

Prev Next