Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

It’s clear that Ironman is a very easy sport to cheat in. Texas
Quote | Reply
See maccas tweet of the drafting and the dimty lees Insta of her pulling out due to pros drafting.

Ironman is a participation even now. Not an actual race.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: It’s clear that Ironman is a very easy sport to cheat in. Texas [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: It’s clear that Ironman is a very easy sport to cheat in. Texas [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was despicable out there today, most of all because the course wasn't marshalled at all. I didn't see a single one or a single penalty. Utter bullshit.

Glad to see that pros reacted to it.

http://powerful-problem-solving.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve said this before on another thread, but they need to allow us to use our rear video cameras. Even if they won’t DQ someone with video evidence, we can publicly shame cheaters and it should have some effect.
Quote Reply
Re: It’s clear that Ironman is a very easy sport to cheat in. Texas [Arnaud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arnaud wrote:
It was despicable out there today, most of all because the course wasn't marshalled at all. I didn't see a single one or a single penalty. Utter bullshit.

They had only one ref on the bike course at the Florida 70.3 earlier in the month...perhaps this is a new cost cutting measure. If so it would be short sighted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

QFT
Quote Reply
Re: It’s clear that Ironman is a very easy sport to cheat in. Texas [Arnaud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arnaud wrote:

That's so weak. No excuse for it at any IM, let alone a championships event. I'd be super pissed if I went there, and was delivered that type of product. Yes I know, that course can certainly be better to help curb the drafting, but at least make a good effort to police the race!
Quote Reply
Re: It’s clear that Ironman is a very easy sport to cheat in. Texas [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
I’ve said this before on another thread, but they need to allow us to use our rear video cameras. Even if they won’t DQ someone with video evidence, we can publicly shame cheaters and it should have some effect.

I agree.

I'd be mortified if there was a video going around of me blatantly drafting!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has been like this since it started.

How is it the only people who post to ST either did not draft or the people they know rode legal. Given you all do sub 5 hours on 170 watts
Quote Reply
Re: It’s clear that Ironman is a very easy sport to cheat in. Texas [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
It has been like this since it started.

How is it the only people who post to ST either did not draft or the people they know rode legal. Given you all do sub 5 hours on 170 watts

Actually, on a flat, fast course, sub 5 on 170 watts is doable if you have really good aerodynamics and aren't too big. For the average IM'er, with a sit up and beg position and all kinds of stuff hanging of the bike, not so much. On a crowded course like Texas, you can ride legal and still get some draft advantage from all the other riders out there, all that passing and being passed, plus often having riders at the legal distance ahead, makes a real difference.

Not to say there isn't a ton of drafting, as I see plenty of riders go to places like Texas and Florida and put on bike performances way out of line with what they usually do. But there are a ton of you burning a lot of watts to not go that fast, I see it all the time on Strava (ignoring, of course, Strava's useless estimated power and only looking at people with real PMs).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just the race I've been looking for to get back into IM. It turns out that I was silly and honest when I last did IM races, 2008-10. The bike leg was my weakest. Training for it sucked, with all the hours I had to put in on the trainer and on the road. I put in all that training, just to make incremental improvements, and never got under 6:00.

It looks like my new roadmap is to register for IMTex, then spend less time training on the bike (except to learn how to tuck in on someone's wheel), and more time running. I'll try to find the "Ryder Hesjedal" model battery.

What logo should I use on my IMTex 2019 tat?
Quote Reply
Re: It’s clear that Ironman is a very easy sport to cheat in. Texas [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
Just the race I've been looking for to get back into IM. It turns out that I was silly and honest when I last did IM races, 2008-10. The bike leg was my weakest. Training for it sucked, with all the hours I had to put in on the trainer and on the road. I put in all that training, just to make incremental improvements, and never got under 6:00.

It looks like my new roadmap is to register for IMTex, then spend less time training on the bike (except to learn how to tuck in on someone's wheel), and more time running. I'll try to find the "Ryder Hesjedal" model battery.

While you are at it...

Quote Reply
Re: It’s clear that Ironman is a very easy sport to cheat in. Texas [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much what I was thinking.
Quote Reply
Re: It’s clear that Ironman is a very easy sport to cheat in. Texas [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
140triguy wrote:

While you are at it...

Why be so secretive

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
See maccas tweet of the drafting and the dimty lees Insta of her pulling out due to pros drafting.

Just how common are bunch crashes in IM?

https://twitter.com/...s/990684405638287366

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: It’s clear that Ironman is a very easy sport to cheat in. Texas [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding group crashes, I was about 15 meters from one ahead of me at my first IM Louisville in 2008. Just after the turn onto US 42, a group of aggressive riders went down. I Played it safe, and riding out on my wide bars with my fingers near the brakes and my eyes looking forward. 4-5 guys went down. I saw it and stayed safe. It was the kind of guys I'd expect to be in such a crash: trying it win their AG in mile 11, riding past everyone aggressively, not even really bothering to say "left," or saying it aggressively and frustrated. As I said, I was about 15m behind, and seeing it unfold was like seeing some of those classic crashes in a Classic.

A few miles later, at the very steep out-and-back section, I saw ambulances attending to at least 2 people who had crashed out on the downhill going out. Again, I can only imagine it was someone riding too aggressively, trying to win it in mile 25 or whatever that is out there. I was on my wide bars the whole way down, hands on the brakes. I mean, seriously, I'm getting free speed (I saw my computer hit 41mph, and I was pretty much sitting up) and a short rest break, what's the use in cranking it out and risking ending my day or worse?

I guess I never broke 6:07 on that ride in three attempts because I was a softee and played it safe. But I have three finisher medals (and no tats).
Quote Reply