Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How short is IMTX? [ntc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ntc wrote:
As an ex runner I run pretty good tangents, started my watch a little late while it got signal, and was at 26.0. Admittedly dont run lines as good as pros but doubtful it's worth a mile.

Yep. No way you can run tangents and take a mile off.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: How short is IMTX? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other thing that happened today was a lot of crashes. I was just past a rider I saw crash. I think he or she may have gone over the guard rail. He was alone to the far right which was supposed to be a traffic lane and he went down. It was terrible. I saw it just behind me to my right. My last look back was a bike on the ground and no rider. Iā€™m hoping heā€™s ok. I tried to find an official to get back to him but sadly there were none. That was right after I a saw a lady on what I think was a backboard.

The thing with the packs was that apart from drafting they were many bikes wide and would gobble up slower riders. Pass on the left and right. It was terrible. I hated that ride so much and even corrected for distance (I had 176.8k) it was my fastest Ironman ride on IM #14. I killed myself with a whole ton of power spikes to try to get past them and ride clean. Lots of times I rode the car lane to the right to take wind and lots of time i rode to the far left to take wind. We did have some wind on the trip out the second lap. Those power surges were not productive for my run either which sucks again.

If I had just sat in when they went by Iā€™m sure my time would have been a lot faster. I got in a few fights out there. F bombs you name it. I saw one marshal early on. He watched the draft pack Iā€™d just got out of ride away into the sunset. He did nothing. That was the only official I saw all day. The only reason not to draft was your conscious and apparently in our sport not many people had one.

Take all results with skepticism. I hope all the thousands who chose a free ride feel like shit tomorrow when they realize what they did. Iā€™m sure they wonā€™t though. Iā€™m also sure they all had huge run prā€™s too. I did Clearwater in 2009. This was every bit as bad as that to give you a good idea of how bad it was. I donā€™t think I will ever do this race again. Reading above that it wasnā€™t like this last year is surprising to me. Why this year more than last? There was less wind this year ? I know in Clearwater people came to the race seemingly expecting to cheat. Thatā€™s what this felt like as well.

Final though. I would go past a pack and they would sit on my wheel. What are you supposed to do? This was on the return trip home second lap. I would have a huge pack behind me. I couldnā€™t get away and I couldnā€™t do anything to make them stop. It was demoralizing.

Oh... I had the run at 41.8k so 400m short. Congrats to all whoā€™ve finished and if anyone knows about the rider who hit the guard rail Iā€™d very much like to know how he/she is doing.
Quote Reply
Re: How short is IMTX? [Petrus101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Petrus101 wrote:
Why this year more than last? There was less wind this year ?

There were many more marshals last year, giving penalties left and right. Various penalty tents I saw were full or overflowing.

http://powerful-problem-solving.com
Quote Reply
Re: How short is IMTX? [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anybody seen Garmin files with power numbers from a power meter?

If You see somebody who always posts rides with power numbers but in the race has estimated power from Strava that is fishy.

Obviously if you see 26 mile an hour segments at 170w ans hr 122, there is one explanation
Quote Reply
Re: How short is IMTX? [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best Bike split from Andrew Starykowicz https://www.bestbikesplit.com/public/94521

So bike leg 178,2km. But an incredible NP of 364W.
Quote Reply
Re: How short is IMTX? [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The one guy who could not have drafted posts his real poweršŸ˜­šŸ˜­
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race, Sam.
Quote Reply
Re: How short is IMTX? [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Livio Livius wrote:
Best Bike split from Andrew Starykowicz https://www.bestbikesplit.com/public/94521

So bike leg 178,2km. But an incredible NP of 364W.

For those still on stupid math that is 110.728 miles so thatā€™s kinda like 108
Quote Reply
Re: How short is IMTX? [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
No matter, anyone who thinks Matt dropped 8 min off his ironman rub pb is delusional. No one ran 2:34 on a legit marathon course today,

Sorry to disappoint....

http://tpks.ws/...FVAJSI7EQF3E4EBQY2BE
Quote Reply
Re: How short is IMTX? [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
oscaro wrote:
No matter, anyone who thinks Matt dropped 8 min off his ironman rub pb is delusional. No one ran 2:34 on a legit marathon course today,

Sorry to disappoint....

You just won the internet today Matt. Strong work out there!

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Matt! Not taking anything away from your battle and your win , but I think we can agree certified courses are measured by the perfect tangents, aka shortest possible route. So normally on a certified course GPS would be a tad over 26.2 because no one runs perfect tangents. Thanks for posting the data and congrats again!

Big Sexy Racing 2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
oscaro wrote:

Sorry to disappoint....

I was running hard but you just flew by! Very sad that people have problems to digest outstanding performances... Congrats, your run way stunning!
Sam
Last edited by: sgy: Apr 29, 18 6:01
Quote Reply
Re: How short is IMTX? [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:
So no IMTX IN 2019? Looked like a very different race then last year.

I don't think so. It's about the same as Kona. The way people behave on the bike is incredibly poor.

With people tucking aerobar on roadie hammer rides, those comments donā€™t surprise me.
Quote Reply
Re: How short is IMTX? [Diehl78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diehl78 wrote:
Congrats Matt! Not taking anything away from your battle and your win , but I think we can agree certified courses are measured by the perfect tangents, aka shortest possible route. So normally on a certified course GPS would be a tad over 26.2 because no one runs perfect tangents. Thanks for posting the data and congrats again!

Matts GPS files starts while he is already running so misses a part.
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m well aware 15 seconds is missing.

Big Sexy Racing 2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at the gps 'track' and you will see it is more than that. Of course if you want to believe the course was 41k or 40k or whatever distance, fair enough ;-)
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: How short is IMTX? [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Obviously if you see 26 mile an hour segments at 170w

I won't lie, that was just a fast course. I could see some numbers seeming unbelievable from legal riding. I was averaging 21-22 on 140ish watts NP for the first half. Dialed it back on the second half as this was my first IM and I was fearing the run as running is my weakness (which I should have feared more, haha) . Still averaged like 19 on 130 watts and "higher" winds. There was pretty much no wind, but more wind than early in the ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome job yesterday Matt, and love your AMAā€™s as well. Sorry if I came across rude in my post, From what Iā€™ve seen from friends who raced on Strava the distance is anywhere between 41,4 and 42, so while it was most likely a bit short it was still a blazing run.
I just really dislike that the courses arenā€™t accurate, and I think it hurts everyone. You would have done a new run record even if it were longer and then there would never be an asterisk just like Starkyā€™s bike.
Look forward to seeing what you come up with in Kona this year!

Terrible Tuesdayā€™s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diehl78 wrote:

This is not really true. On courses with several sharp turns, the GPS will measure that the runner cut the turns, because it only records a datapoint every 4 seconds, so it will tend to measure that kind of course as short.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram ā€¢ Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: How short is IMTX? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Have many of the pros besides A.S. posted power files?
Itā€™s perfectly understandable not to because haters will find something ā€œfishyā€.
However if that group of pros werr doing 230 watts to average that speed, then that is fishy.
Quote Reply
Re: How short is IMTX? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point ! My certified courses have all been a touch long on GPS. I run about as straight as I swim apparently ! Lol

Big Sexy Racing 2018
Quote Reply
Re: How short is IMTX? [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Garmin had bike at 109.61 and the run at 26.16.
Quote Reply

Prev Next