Norway going 1, 2, 3.
Gutsy riding and controlled running.
Stornes
Blummenfelt
Iden
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Bermuda, Norway dominating 1, 2, 3 [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Incredible effort from the lads. Just what we want to see in ITU racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard....you win ST for the weekend!!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
This is amazing.
Norway going 1, 2, 3.
Gutsy riding and controlled running.
Stornes
Blummenfelt
Iden

Norway?
Yes, Norway!
WTF?

Juggernaut.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are two videos from the top of Corkscrew Hill

It didn't seem that easy when I did it in the morning :-).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was awesome. I was glued to my laptop for the entirety of the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was a fantastic race to watch and hats off to the vikings!

Casper Stornes looked like he was hurting a few times on the bike, thought for sure that he was going to get reeled in by the big guns on the run but really impressive to see him stay strong and win comfortably! Gripping stuff, and well done to Blummenfelt and Iden for seizing the opportunity on the bike and holding on for 2nd and 3rd.

Blummenfelt said in an interview afterwards that the pace on the bike was really soft and even the BBC commentary mentioned after a few laps that it comprised basically the entire field except for a couple of retirees. Another race that shows that a lot of athletes rely far too heavily on their run and aren't willing to work at all on the bike!
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Bermuda, Norway dominating 1, 2, 3 [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, congrats to the vikings, but where was Slowman in the AG race? I thought he was planning to be there?
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Bermuda, Norway dominating 1, 2, 3 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the three Norwegians are from the same city. Bergen on the west cost. The city is famous for a lot of rain. No wonder why the sister city is Seattle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I blame global warming. They should all be focusing on winter sports but with the warmer temps all the fast skiers are switching to running and triathlon

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was fortunate enough to have Kristian Blummenfeldt train with my old squad for a month or so in 2015, pre Gold Coast WTS.

This guy is hands down the hardest trainer I (or my coach) has ever seen. The volume/ quality that he can absorb all whilst having zero ego and a huge smile on his face is pretty inspiring. You will only hear positive things about him from anyone who comes across him. Good to see hard work being rewarded.

Quote | Reply
You shouldn’t have spoiled the results. Others haven’t seen the race yet.
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Bermuda, Norway dominating 1, 2, 3 [Willrc91] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Willrc91 wrote:
I was fortunate enough to have Kristian Blummenfeldt train with my old squad for a month or so in 2015, pre Gold Coast WTS.

This guy is hands down the hardest trainer I (or my coach) has ever seen. The volume/ quality that he can absorb all whilst having zero ego and a huge smile on his face is pretty inspiring. You will only hear positive things about him from anyone who comes across him. Good to see hard work being rewarded.

Asthma helps recovery which allows higher volume training at better quality.
Oh wait, that's not true, my mistake that's the medication not the disease.
Not saying that's what they are on but when anyone says that anyone "trains harder/more than everyone else" it rings many alarm bells with me, I hate hearing it, as that is exactly what most PEDS allow you to do. It is also a line that many past cheats and their teams used to try to explain their dominance before they got caught.
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Bermuda, Norway dominating 1, 2, 3 [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not going to go into your conjectures re doping and from my (very brief) time in ITU there was never any 'rumours' about the Norwegians as there were about others.

All I will say is that the ability to train hard is not something that demands physical ability, but also mental- I think this is often discounted. To actually want to do extra volume, to not skip a swim etc etc. Pro's are just like anyone else, motivation ebbs and flows and the mind frequently packs it in before the body.

Quote | Reply
Willrc91 wrote:
I am not going to go into your conjectures re doping and from my (very brief) time in ITU there was never any 'rumours' about the Norwegians as there were about others.

All I will say is that the ability to train hard is not something that demands physical ability, but also mental- I think this is often discounted. To actually want to do extra volume, to not skip a swim etc etc. Pro's are just like anyone else, motivation ebbs and flows and the mind frequently packs it in before the body.

You haven't raced WTS for a while then?

This is where I believe you are wrong, most high level pros don't struggle with motivation. It is the illness and Injury from pushing the body to levels where it can't naturally recover that prevents them from "working harder/doing more". Doing more causes muscle, tendon, joint and bone injuries also Thyroid, Hormone and Immune disorders, just to name a few, this is what stops them. The human body is not a car that can just keep going, but there are a lot of fuel additives that can help it along, they just aren't all legal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never raced WTS, nowhere near but I trained with many who did for a couple of years.

I would respectfully disagree re motivation and I think you're too quick to jump on the doping conjectures. I think we will just agree to disagree...

Quote | Reply
These guys are all nice guys.
I have had some interactions with Kristian (not a lot, just a little) and he is a kind person.

All of these guys have worked hard for every results they have gotten.
It has been fun to see triathletes in Norway posting pictures of Kristian. Casper and Gustav from they were 14 years and up racing at local triathlon.

I am not sure why so many went easy on the bike yesterday. When Iden and Blummenfelt went after 32.5k the rest of the field just looked at each other. I guess the Norwegians raced to win and the rest raced not to lose.

Japan in two weeks. The first race on this olympic qualifier. I am sure more athletes will be in shape so that race will for sure be different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We should always be sceptical. But we can also give credit where credit is due. These norwegian guys are very transparent when it comes to their training. Everything is on strava. That is no proof of anything but it is at least a good sign.

Sport writes fantastic stories. Of course, we should take those with a grain of salt as there have been a lot of stuff going on lately. But not every unexpected performance is dodgy.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Bermuda, Norway dominating 1, 2, 3 [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your spoiler in your thread title thread starter, completely killed the excitement in the race for me!
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Bermuda, Norway dominating 1, 2, 3 [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Thanks for your spoiler in your thread title thread starter, completely killed the excitement in the race for me!

If you should be bad at anyone it should be me. I am the one that started this thread.

If you do not want to find out how races are going, you should not go to a triathlon site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I came on to post in the actual Bermuda thread started after the woman's race while thoughts were still fresh and prety hard not to notice this thread!

Maybe instead of starting your own thread you could have just posted your thoughts in there too!

Or should we all have our own individual threads complete with race spoilers in title after each big race?
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Bermuda, Norway dominating 1, 2, 3 [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is 2018. There are no spoilers.
Spoilers were something back in the stone ages.

And YES we should have a singe thread every time Norwegians are winning.

As a Norwegian I am getting sick of all the winning.
Quote Reply