Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

any idea why this flatted?
Quote | Reply

Had my first flat ever in an event at the recent South Beach event. Wasn't a blow out....just a quick loss of pressure. There was no puncture in the tire (Conti TTs) and later when I tried pumping up the tube, it held air..... and still does. As indicated, there are these three unusual markings on the tube (Vredestein latex). which are at opposite side of wheel from the stem. Wheels are two year old Enve 8.9s with the original rim strip which looked fine. I had an extender on the stem which was still tight. Any ideas?

Last edited by: gphin305: Apr 27, 18 16:00
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Calamityjane88 [ In reply to ]
Re: any idea why this flatted? [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, but bike (P5) has never been on a hitch. I usually do Bikeflights shipping straight to hotel, assemble, and road test. The course was 25 miles and I actually flatted just past mile 20.
Quote Reply
Re: any idea why this flatted? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the same marks & a flat.

Vittoria tube, enve 7.8 front wheel.

No idea what caused it... I'd love to know
Quote Reply
Re: any idea why this flatted? [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:

My LBS has no idea either. I've used Vredesteins for the past five years but they are tough to find so just switched to Vittorias. LBS took the Enve rim strip off and re wrapped with tubeless tape. Using same tire since they are brand new TTs. Only ridden about 10 miles, so far so good.....but also did 20 miles at event before the flat. Would love to find out before my first HIM next month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:

later when I tried pumping up the tube, it held air..... and still does. Any ideas?

When you mention that you pumped up the tube, did you do that to high pressure inside the tire or outside as we see it now? Latex tubes self seal small punctures very nicely at very low pressure like you have in the tube shown. It probably only takes a small portion of 1 psi to inflate to that level. Reinstall the tube in your tire, pump it to 90 psi and see if it still holds air. I bet there is a small leak.

YMMV

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: any idea why this flatted? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
gphin305 wrote:

later when I tried pumping up the tube, it held air..... and still does. Any ideas?

When you mention that you pumped up the tube, did you do that to high pressure inside the tire or outside as we see it now? Latex tubes self seal small punctures very nicely at very low pressure like you have in the tube shown. It probably only takes a small portion of 1 psi to inflate to that level. Reinstall the tube in your tire, pump it to 90 psi and see if it still holds air. I bet there is a small leak.

YMMV

Hugh

Yes, I pumped it up slightly only after I removed from tire. I couldn't see any holes.......just those three weird looking markings. I probably rode at least 30 road miles a couple days before the race and then, again, was just past mile 20 when it lost air.....pretty quickly. I can't imagine it was a pinch flat......always double check and have another party check as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
sciguy wrote:
gphin305 wrote:

YMMV

Hugh

Yes, I pumped it up slightly only after I removed from tire. I couldn't see any holes.......just those three weird looking markings. I probably rode at least 30 road miles a couple days before the race and then, again, was just past mile 20 when it lost air.....pretty quickly. I can't imagine it was a pinch flat......always double check and have another party check as well.

It's fairly common to have a really tiny puncture from a tire cord wire or small fleck of glass that will be very hard to find in a tire without extreme care/luck. So just because the tube holds enough air to maintain shape plus the tiniest bit doesn't mean there isn't a small puncture in it. Now if you start pumping the unrestrained latex tube to higher pressure you may soon see a representation of a boa constrictor that ate several rats as some area bulge like mad before others.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
SteveM wrote:

My LBS has no idea either. I've used Vredesteins for the past five years but they are tough to find so just switched to Vittorias. LBS took the Enve rim strip off and re wrapped with tubeless tape. Using same tire since they are brand new TTs. Only ridden about 10 miles, so far so good.....but also did 20 miles at event before the flat. Would love to find out before my first HIM next month.

'TT's as in continental gp TT's?

That's the same rubber I was running (25's)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: any idea why this flatted? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, running Conti GP TTs....23s. Just switched this year after running Conti gp 4000sii for last several years and never getting a flat. Haven't put the tube back on a wheel yet because I bought a few Vittoria tubes and installed already on the 8.9 with new tubeless rim tape. I did pump up the Vredestein tube with more air and put in tub of water.....no bubbles and seems to be holding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I managed to find a small leak in the corner of one of the marks.

Wasn't a lot, but squeezing the tube underwater a bubble or two came out.

I wondered if it was a pinch flat for a while, but I'm doubting that diagnosis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
Yep, running Conti GP TTs....23s. Just switched this year after running Conti gp 4000sii for last several years and never getting a flat. Haven't put the tube back on a wheel yet because I bought a few Vittoria tubes and installed already on the 8.9 with new tubeless rim tape. I did pump up the Vredestein tube with more air and put in tub of water.....no bubbles and seems to be holding.

I bet there is a tiny hole somewhere. Under low psi I have seen latex be able to keep air and obviously you can't pump up very much as the latex then gets distressed.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: any idea why this flatted? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
gphin305 wrote:

I bet there is a tiny hole somewhere. Under low psi I have seen latex be able to keep air and obviously you can't pump up very much as the latex then gets distressed.

Thanks all, SteveM and Thomas for feedback. Guess those three marks on the tube will remain a mystery. I always put in new tubes at start of each season and never seen those type of marks before when changing out....just assumed it had something to do with the flat. So far, no problems with the tire and new Vittoria tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
gphin305 wrote:

Thanks all, SteveM and Thomas for feedback. Guess those three marks on the tube will remain a mystery. I always put in new tubes at start of each season and never seen those type of marks before when changing out....just assumed it had something to do with the flat. So far, no problems with the tire and new Vittoria tube.

Anytime. If you ever come up with an answer I would be curious to know.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did you have your latex tube pre-loaded with sealant?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: any idea why this flatted? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
did you have your latex tube pre-loaded with sealant?

No sealant. Been using Vredestein latex with Conti 4000s ii for past six seasons with never a flat.....never used sealant. Switched to Conti TTs this year (brand new for this event) and had my first flat ever. Hoping just a coincidence.....again, no visible puncture in tire or tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like the tube may have been folded over at that spot. Can happen if the tube gets twisted up while installing or if the tube is stretched and a little too big to fit inside the tire properly. Tubes will split after time at the creases where they are folded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had two "mystery flats" with my ENVE rear wheel last week. In both cases, I discovered that the rim strip had worked its way off the spoke holes just a tiny bit in one spot.

ENVE isn't shipping the rim strip anymore. They recommended that I replace it with the tubeless tape. So far, so good.
Quote Reply
Re: any idea why this flatted? [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear that's what Enve recommended. I already had the original Enve rim strip replaced with tubeless tape (seems much better protection) before I put in my new Vittoria tube. Leads me to next question.....recommended time/miles between redoing rim strips? I still have the original strip on my front wheel (two years old).....maybe 800 miles total on wheel.....put new tube in a couple months ago.
Last edited by: gphin305: Apr 28, 18 14:25
Quote Reply