Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Left food out overnight. Is there anything I can do? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:
I thought rule was refrigerate immediately

The pot was so hot, it would have heated up the refrigerator. I usually set a timer on my watch or turn on the light over the stove as a reminder but I forgot.

If I decide to throw it out, I can't even give it to the dogs because it has onions in it.

Wow, another American wasting food.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Left food out overnight. Is there anything I can do? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same issue happen a few months ago. Huge batch of really good chicken noodle soup left out overnight.

I tossed it. It was probably fine but food poisoning is one of the worst things ever. I generally try to minimize risk of shartbarfing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
I know this seems silly, but I made an awesome batch of Chicken and Dumplings last night. I used drippings from a turkey I smoked and added it to the chicken broth. It was fantastic. There was enough there for another meal or two for all of us. Since I made it in a big, heavy pot - I put the pot in the sink with water and ice so it would cool off. Then I forgot about it until this morning - 10 hours later.

If I add some more broth and bring everything to a boil for several minutes - will it kill off any bacteria? I will throw it out if I have to, but would love to be able to save it.

Eat it or turn in your man card. Seriously, I do this all the time. Large batches of chili or tortellini soup sometimes just sit there and get heated and reheated over 48 hours. Basically it's to get the quantity down to a reasonable size to store, but I've never had a food poisoning issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
I know this seems silly, but I made an awesome batch of Chicken and Dumplings last night. I used drippings from a turkey I smoked and added it to the chicken broth. It was fantastic. There was enough there for another meal or two for all of us. Since I made it in a big, heavy pot - I put the pot in the sink with water and ice so it would cool off. Then I forgot about it until this morning - 10 hours later.

If I add some more broth and bring everything to a boil for several minutes - will it kill off any bacteria? I will throw it out if I have to, but would love to be able to save it.

I can't believe no one's mentioned it, but your Chicken & Dumplings can't have been all that awesome. I mean, you had leftovers.....

;-P

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Left food out overnight. Is there anything I can do? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
So have you eaten it yet?

We haven't heard from rick_pcfl in a couple of hours... Maybe he took our advice and ate it?

OH MY GOD! WE KILLED RICK_PCFL! WE BASTARDS!!

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Left food out overnight. Is there anything I can do? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

I can't believe no one's mentioned it, but your Chicken & Dumplings can't have been all that awesome. I mean, you had leftovers.....

;-P

rick_pcfl just pm'ed me if it's OK to go into the water after he ate his snack. It's only been 25 minutes. =)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No!

There's 2 main issues with food safety.

1. bacteria etc that grows - in theory, if you boil the crap out of it, you should be able to kill the bacteria. That's why people think it's ok to do that. However, they fail to consider 2.
2. food changing into something poisonous. If food is left out for a while, it can change into something poisonous. For instance, rice can germinate, with spores turning into toxins. Thus no matter how much boiling etc you do, it doesn't go away. An analogy would be someone putting ricin or cyanide in your food. You'd think it's the most absurd thing to think that boiling would get rid of it. This isn't any different.

Different topic - if something has little water activity and the right pH, it can last for a long time (which is why people can eat cereal that's been on the shelf.)

I know this stuff. I ran a national manufacturing business which supplied food to Fortune 500 companies, and had to be well versed in HACCP, and GMP.
Quote Reply
Re: Left food out overnight. Is there anything I can do? [Samok.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Samok. wrote:
No!

There's 2 main issues with food safety.

1. bacteria etc that grows - in theory, if you boil the crap out of it, you should be able to kill the bacteria. That's why people think it's ok to do that. However, they fail to consider 2.
2. food changing into something poisonous. If food is left out for a while, it can change into something poisonous. For instance, rice can germinate, with spores turning into toxins. Thus no matter how much boiling etc you do, it doesn't go away. An analogy would be someone putting ricin or cyanide in your food. You'd think it's the most absurd thing to think that boiling would get rid of it. This isn't any different.

Different topic - if something has little water activity and the right pH, it can last for a long time (which is why people can eat cereal that's been on the shelf.)

I know this stuff. I ran a national manufacturing business which supplied food to Fortune 500 companies, and had to be well versed in HACCP, and GMP.

Ignore Samok. Before refrigeration was invented, people used to leave food out all the time and they all lived healthy and long lives, right?

Remember, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: Left food out overnight. Is there anything I can do? [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
May folks have survived eating almost day-old cold pizza the morning/early afternoon after a bender where they can't remember ordering the pizza in the first place, so you'll be fine.

Hell, I once unearthed some leftover pizza on my dorm room floor the day after THAT (i.e., the morning after the morning after; obviously it had been covered/obscured by something else or pizza would never last that long in college) and scarfed it down w/o issue. I’m completely sure it’s fine. This whole question is the kind of silly hyper-sensitivity I bag on my wife for (working in a hospital, she’s a certified germophobe like Elaine’s office mate on that Seinfeld episode).
Quote Reply
Re: Left food out overnight. Is there anything I can do? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ummm, has anyone heard from rick???

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Left food out overnight. Is there anything I can do? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

Both are high-protein foods. Salmonella has been observed to be able to survive for a couple months at temps as high as 60 C or 140 F. Unless you're raising the food's internal temperature to at least 140 F (and I always recommended 145 F, minimum) upon reheating you may not kill all salmonella bacteria within it. That's food infection (with the Salmonella organism). Food intoxication (such as from the c. botulinum toxin) is a whole different animal. Fortunately, you don't see botulism in chicken and other high-protein products cooked at the oven or stove top, usually. That's more the case with a canned product.

It is industry standard that when reheating anything you should bring it to a minimum internal temp of at least 160F. As for the OP if you bring it to a boil you should be ok.
Quote Reply
Re: Left food out overnight. Is there anything I can do? [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eat it, you'll be fine. My wife made some chili and I forgot to refrigerate it overnight. She wouldn't eat it, I ate it for lunch and dinner the next 3 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I took everyone's advice that said to eat it. I just threw it in the microwave and put it on reheat. It was fine. I probably could have put it in for a little longer because there were some pieces that were cold in the middle.

I'm having a little acid reflux, but that's about it.

I don't think it was really anything worth worrying about because it...

Ugh. I think I drank too much water, my stomach feels a little full.

As I was saying, it wasn't anything to worry about. It had a little bit of a funny taste to it but it, but that's probably from the container I put it in.

Ugh. There's that acid reflux again. Aw shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Quote Reply
Re: Left food out overnight. Is there anything I can do? - UPDATE AT BOTTOM [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I got to use my new Squatty Potty today. I didn't need it for opening the "flow" as that was a bit like Niagara Falls, but if you turn it over it makes a good container if there isn't a garbage can to throw up in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aw shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

THUNDERBOX !!!

Quote Reply
Re: Left food out overnight. Is there anything I can do? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, I was joking above. I added some water and chicken broth and slowly heated the pot. I used a digital thermometer and started watching the clock once it surpassed 170 degrees. I kept it above 170 for at least 5 minutes and actually got it close to 200 degrees. My son and I had it for lunch.

I was working on a project in my garage and started getting a little worried. I was having a little acid reflux. That isn't too unusual, but I was just paying attention to everything that could be a sign.

In the end, it worked out okay. It was my best batch of chicken and dumplings (which is saying something), so we hated to let such a big pot go to waste. I made three batches at once so we would have leftovers.
Quote Reply
Re: Left food out overnight. Is there anything I can do? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THAT was risky.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't read the whole thread but good to know that there are two ways food poisoning will get you. One you ingest the bad bacteria and two you ingest the toxin they made and that makes you sick. In many instances of case number two the toxin is heat stable so heating the food above 140 may not save you. Toxin ingestion generally makes you sick alot faster than bacterial ingestion.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Left food out overnight. Is there anything I can do? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
THAT was risky.

What can I say, I live life on the edge.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How will you know your immune system works if you never test it out?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Left food out overnight. Is there anything I can do? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
THAT was risky.

Not really,

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
In the end, it worked out okay. It was my best batch of chicken and dumplings (which is saying something), so we hated to let such a big pot go to waste. I made three batches at once so we would have leftovers.

Glad you didn't waste the food.

Just Triing
Quote Reply

Prev Next