Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Am I "allowed" to mount Blip Box like this? (with photo)
Quote | Reply
I don't need blips or clicks, this works just fine. I'm curious if there are any USAT rules against it. Like, "it must be screwed onto something."

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mRhnd34NfLBCeL003
Quote Reply
Re: Am I "allowed" to mount Blip Box like this? (with photo) [bltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, no rules against it that I'm aware of. Personally I'd mount it using a quarter turn mount of some sort. I wouldn't trust bands to secure my only means of shifting.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I "allowed" to mount Blip Box like this? (with photo) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I've toyed with a bunch of options to mount it out front like this, and keep coming back to the bands for simplicity. I have a stem cap mount, and might do that with blips on the bars.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I "allowed" to mount Blip Box like this? (with photo) [bltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can of course... but how are you going to shift in your climbing position? it's hard to run blips from the bullhorns to the aerobars.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello bltri and All,

Tape it to your index finger .... shift with your thumb ..... you will be able to shift while you scratch your ass ..... or while raising both hands crossing the finish line in first place.

Or if you must mount it on something .... how about on a http://www.morf-tech.com/ bar ..... it will always be under your hand along with the brakes .... whether climbing mode or in aero or die.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Am I "allowed" to mount Blip Box like this? (with photo) [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still haven't gotten this ride outside yet, but after 10 years of mechanical shifting (and lots of hilly races), I've never really "wanted" that option. Could be wrong after I test it out, and then I'll slap the blips and clicks everywhere!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bltri wrote:
After 10 years of mechanical shifting (and lots of hilly races), I've never really "wanted" that option. Could be wrong after I test it out, and then I'll slap the blips and clicks everywhere!
Shifting at the brakes is one of the things that makes electronic shifting so awesome. The moment you have it, you will wonder how you lived without it. You can shift without thinking about it, no matter where your hands are. It is a game changer.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I "allowed" to mount Blip Box like this? (with photo) [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello bltri and All,

Tape it to your index finger .... shift with your thumb ..... you will be able to shift while you scratch your ass ..... or while raising both hands crossing the finish line in first place.

I was just thinking about this yesterday. With the advent of wireless shifting, why not just incorporate the shifting buttons into a glove. Say the tip of one or two of each finger so that you can shift from any hand position.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I "allowed" to mount Blip Box like this? (with photo) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
bltri wrote:
After 10 years of mechanical shifting (and lots of hilly races), I've never really "wanted" that option. Could be wrong after I test it out, and then I'll slap the blips and clicks everywhere!

Shifting at the brakes is one of the things that makes electronic shifting so awesome. The moment you have it, you will wonder how you lived without it. You can shift without thinking about it, no matter where your hands are. It is a game changer.

Absolutely. That is the best part
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other comments on the thread made me think of another thing that makes electronic shifting awesome. The ideal with the buttons is that you can push them without looking or thinking. The clicks are masterful for this. I shift far more frequently, sometimes choosing a gear and then immediately switching back. The downside of the blip up front is that you have to look and aim more, rather than the ultra easy bar-end approach.

The blip box at the end is technically sufficient, but it misses the mark of some of the subtle things about electronic shifting that alters the whole man-machine experience. It is a "manumation" approach.
Quote Reply