Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The "Golden State Killer" Finally Nabbed After 40 Years
Quote | Reply
He was prolific. In fact, he represented the most prolific unsolved serial killer case in US history. And now he's in custody.

The alleged serial killer -- given the moniker "The Golden State Killer" -- is an ex-cop. He was fired some time back for stealing a can of dog repellent, which is kind of suspicious in hindsight. My guess is he didn't want to skyline himself with his own department by making use of such repellent, especially if his duties didn't necessitate doing so, from available department stocks. At any rate:

He was (is) a serial rapist and serial killer, active from 1976 to 1986.

"Joseph James DeAngelo has been identified as the so-called Golden State Killer believed to have committed 12 killings and 48 rapes across California from 1976 to 1986, authorities said. The 72-year-old suspect is being held without bail in Sacramento on two murder counts. "The answer has always been in Sacramento," Sacramento District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert said.

DeAngelo was arrested after police matched discarded DNA evidence from his Sacramento area home with genetic evidence from the crimes, Ventura County District Attorney Greg Totten said.

The suspect has been charged with capital murder and other counts in connection with the 1980 slayings of Lyman and Charlene Smith, Totten said at a news conference outside the Sacramento crime lab where authorities matched DeAngelo to the crimes.

Bell would not identify the suspect but authorities in Sacramento are expected to release more information at a news conference scheduled for noon PT (3 p.m. ET).

The suspect was also known as the "East Area Rapist" and "the Original Night Stalker.""

Hopefully, they can get a working group of cops and detectives together (those who'd worked the case in the past and were assigned to the cold case over the years) and maybe do the same thing when it comes to the Zodiac Killer.

Edited to add: And how frightened is Ted Cruz right about now? ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Apr 25, 18 14:54
Quote Reply
Re: The "Golden State Killer" Finally Nabbed After 40 Years [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always like when they work cold cases like this, arrest an old man 30 years after the fact, then proclaim that justice has been served. No, they got away with it.

What are the chances this guys stopped in the 80's after a spree llike that?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: The "Golden State Killer" Finally Nabbed After 40 Years [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
I always like when they work cold cases like this, arrest an old man 30 years after the fact, then proclaim that justice has been served. No, they got away with it.

Pretty slim.

Quote Reply
Re: The "Golden State Killer" Finally Nabbed After 40 Years [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was kinda thinking the same thing. Thirty years after the fact they got the guy. I guess it is better than nothing.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: The "Golden State Killer" Finally Nabbed After 40 Years [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anything out there on how they found the guy? I mean it says " discarded DNA evidence " but I assume they weren't just grabbing the discarded DNA of random citizens. How did they know to check his? Haven't seen anything on that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Comedian/actor Patton Oswalt's late wife spent years researching the case and wrote a book that helped keep light/interest on it. She passed away unexpectedly in 2016, has to be a bittersweet day for him today where she didn't live to see his capture.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: The "Golden State Killer" Finally Nabbed After 40 Years [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Comedian/actor Patton Oswalt's late wife spent years researching the case and wrote a book that helped keep light/interest on it. She passed away unexpectedly in 2016, has to be a bittersweet day for him today where she didn't live to see his capture.

Glad someone mentioned this. I have not read her books but as a long time Patton Oswalt fan was aware. Hope they have the right guy..would be a good book end in a sad sort of way all around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

Good point, but look at murderers like Stephen Paddock, the Las Vegas shooter. Just came out of nowhere at age 64 with no prior convictions.
Quote Reply
Re: The "Golden State Killer" Finally Nabbed After 40 Years [tri_kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_kid wrote:
j p o wrote:

Good point, but look at murderers like Stephen Paddock, the Las Vegas shooter. Just came out of nowhere at age 64 with no prior convictions.

Yeah but with serial killers, at least my impression from movies, etc. is that it's rare for them to just stop. I would assume because whatever the compulsion driving them to do it, doesn't just go away.

I suppose some life changing event could have occurred?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

Even *if* he did stop then - dude got to live his life. Most of it, anyway. He's 72. He's lived 72 years outside of prison. Adding another 10 years at the end in prison - obviously, better than nothing, but it's not "justice has been served."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read this a while back:

http://www.lamag.com/...otsteps-of-a-killer/

It’s by the woman who wrote the book on the guy. There was an online community dedicated to finding the GSK. I wonder if this guy ever came up on their radar.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. They used 23 and me to find him!

23 and me denies it. Police say an online genealogy database.

“Read the transcript.”
Last edited by: sslothrop: Apr 26, 18 20:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

Maybe not ‘justice is served’, but there is some closure for victims and people affected by the criminal’s acts.

Was talking with the wife about the stoppage. Apparently it does happen sometimes. Offenders have a kid or other major life event, or lose a job that was enabling their crimes, or have a close call that scares them, sometimes they just sort of ‘grow out of it’ for lack of a better term, etc. Not saying that happened here, but it does happen.

ETA: https://nyti.ms/2KhUJjz
Last edited by: wimsey: Apr 26, 18 20:57
Quote Reply
Re: The "Golden State Killer" Finally Nabbed After 40 Years [sslothrop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sslothrop wrote:

Just from reading everything he had to have come up as a person of interest at one point or another, either during his active years or when he went back underground (and it's unknown if he ever really became inactive, but we'll see if he starts confessing to other murders now that he's been caught). Somewhere along the line, authorities decided that a DNA cross-match was called for.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
sslothrop wrote:

Just from reading everything he had to have come up as a person of interest at one point or another, either during his active years or when he went back underground (and it's unknown if he ever really became inactive, but we'll see if he starts confessing to other murders now that he's been caught). Somewhere along the line, authorities decided that a DNA cross-match was called for.

Nope. His name came up for the first time just last week. Crazy.

Quote:
Despite an outpouring of thousands of tips over the years, DeAngelo's name had not been on the radar of law enforcement before last week, Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert said.

https://www.cbsnews.com/...t-genealogy-website/

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: The "Golden State Killer" Finally Nabbed After 40 Years [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
sslothrop wrote:

Quote:
Despite an outpouring of thousands of tips over the years, DeAngelo's name had not been on the radar of law enforcement before last week, Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert said.

That's catching lightning in a bottle. Unbelievable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
BLeP wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
sslothrop wrote:

Quote:

The next thing Wikileaks exposes is that the owner of 23 and Me is actually the FBI. I jest, I think.

It would actually make me laugh a little. A DNA profile of everyone could come in very handy for law enforcement. You can't make them do it, but if they do it on their own it is no problem.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
BLeP wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
sslothrop wrote:

Quote:

The next thing Wikileaks exposes is that the owner of 23 and Me is actually the FBI. I jest, I think.

It would actually make me laugh a little. A DNA profile of everyone could come in very handy for law enforcement. You can't make them do it, but if they do it on their own it is no problem.

Legally I wonder how that worked? I'd think part of giving your DNA to these companies would be they weren't going to share it.
Quote Reply
Re: The "Golden State Killer" Finally Nabbed After 40 Years [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

Legally I wonder how that worked? I'd think part of giving your DNA to these companies would be they weren't going to share it.

I read an article this morning about this. The investigators took a crime scene DNA sample and submitted it to one of these sites. The site matched relatives to the suspect sample and that lead them to this guy. From what I gathered, the sites didn't do anything but provide their normal service and did not know that the profile was made up by police.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/27/us/golden-state-killer-case-joseph-deangelo.html

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: The "Golden State Killer" Finally Nabbed After 40 Years [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

I read an article this morning about this. The investigators took a crime scene DNA sample and submitted it to one of these sites. The site matched relatives to the suspect sample and that lead them to this guy. From what I gathered, the sites didn't do anything but provide their normal service and did not know that the profile was made up by police.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/27/us/golden-state-killer-case-joseph-deangelo.html

Yeah the article I read said it was the relative's DNA that allowed them to identify him.
Quote Reply