Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Iron Man Limburg, The Netherlands- Bike Rental
Quote | Reply
Looking to rent a Tri bike for Iron Man Limburg, The Netherlands in August -2018...Has anyone rented a tribike for a European race? I can not find a link, contact like how we have race day wheels here in the U.S. Nothing on the Ironman website and race day wheels emailed me and said U.S only for them.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Man Limburg, The Netherlands- Bike Rental [jnorvs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck with that...

I'm Dutch (so I read the language) but live in North America, and have been looking for bike rentals in the Netherlands, Belgium, and France over the last couple of years, striking out each time. It got to the point that I was whining to my brother (who still lives in the old country) so much that he bought "himself" a bike that I can use when I'm there (we're roughly the same dimensions). He used it for maybe 20 rides, and now it's basically mine.

But back to your question: you'll find a ton of bike rental places, but they will rent out your typical Dutch city bike - sturdy, upright, heavy as f*ck. One idea somebody gave me was trying to find a store that also sells second hand and see if you can buy a bike, and agree to sell it back to them when you're done with it. Or buy one and find somebody that will put it on marktplaats.nl (craigslist) afterwards. But both are risky propositions.

I'm not quite sure why they don't do it; probably a combination of small market and high risk. I'm going to assume that everybody that wants a bike has their own, and Europe is a small enough place that you can go almost anywhere within a day's drive.

Having said that: maybe I'll google around a bit tomorrow and see what I come up with. One last thing: while I've been looking for road bikes in particular, and not tri bikes, that already was hard, as I said. I think the chances of renting a tri bike are basically nil.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Man Limburg, The Netherlands- Bike Rental [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rich,

Thanks for the very detailed response, you saved me hours and hours of dead end research. All great ideas and very helpful insights.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Man Limburg, The Netherlands- Bike Rental [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I found something I'd never seen before:

https://www.racefiets-huren.nl/Maastricht

(Google translate: https://translate.google.com/...uren.nl%2FMaastricht)

Cliff's Notes: A Giant Defy w/ 105 for 120 Euros a week.

I'm a bit suspicious though; the website is light on details, and the address lacks a street number. I streetviewed the road and didn't see a bike store or anything like it. But it may be worth pinging them.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a better one:

https://www.wiel-rent.nl/...e-triathlon-bicycle/

Quote Reply