Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

All beach Triathlon
Quote | Reply
Why hasn't anyone done one? Ocean swim, fat tire 10 mile out and back beach ride and 5k Sandy run. It sounds good to me.....or have I just been drinking to much today?
Quote Reply
Re: All beach Triathlon [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, Pedal Boats instead of bike?
Quote Reply
Re: All beach Triathlon [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fat tire bikes. I put probably 10 miles a day this week in the sand on one. Hard sand on water line you can move pretty fast. Running 9 pounds of pressure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My very first triathlon had the run moved to the beach because they couldn't secure the permits for the roads. The sand was very soft and I suck at running (and had never done a brick workout before that race) - you can imagine how beyond miserable it was for me. The bike portion was on the road like normal.

That being said I think it is a cool idea. Though I feel like it would cater to a much (much) smaller crowd. Could be fun to host on a small-scale at beachside communities where lots of people have a fat bike or something to ride on the sand.
Quote Reply
Re: All beach Triathlon [grtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never rode one till last week. Now I'm hooked!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a fat bike, and don't live near a beach, but a beach tri with fat bikes sounds like lot's of fun to me. I did a beach run-swim-run when I was on vacation in the Outer Banks; actually ran barefooted. Really enjoyed the experience. Would do again, for sure.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Apr 25, 18 15:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don’t bring your cell phone on vaca but you post on Slowtwitch? :)
Quote Reply
Re: All beach Triathlon [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's were we are. I plugged Manteo Cyclery in another thread but I'll do it again.
Quote Reply
Re: All beach Triathlon [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
You don’t bring your cell phone on vaca but you post on Slowtwitch? :)

Wife's phone. And still sent you pictures:)
We did have a bike crash last WK. Wife clipped a trash can then me. We both went down. Worth a good laugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
That's were we are. I plugged Manteo Cyclery in another thread but I'll do it again.

We stayed in Manteo, but I never got to the shop. Brought my travel bike with me, "Large Marge." She's is a 90's era Specialized mountain bike with all of 50 mm of bump-swallowing front suspension travel! I put some fatty slicks on her and ride her mostly on pavement and hard-packed gravel and trails. On flat pavement, she's only about 1 mph slower than my road bike. Took this shot on a the very north end of the Island.

Last edited by: gary p: Apr 25, 18 15:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should get to organizing one down there. There can never be to many races at OBX.

Also, hope you enjoyed your time there. When your doing your full up in Maryland, think back fondly of Manteo :)

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Club of San Diego does an Aquathon with an Ocean Swim and sandy 5k ish at La Jolla Shores once a month from spring through fall.

It would be really difficult to add the bike portion there because of the amount of people that are enjoying the beach otherwise.

Riding bikes in sand is pretty hard too!

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: All beach Triathlon [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maryland is in the fall. I'm bummed to not be doing OBX 70.3 again this year. You could always do MD with me:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, I honestly would if it wasn't for the cost of Ironman! I can't drop $700 on a race just yet so I need to stick to smaller operations.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Setup Events had one at the end of laat season on Wrightsville Beach. Not much participation so it may not happen again.
Quote Reply
Re: All beach Triathlon [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
Man, I honestly would if it wasn't for the cost of Ironman! I can't drop $700 on a race just yet so I need to stick to smaller operations.

What's your plans for OBX? Did you ever get around to some pics or a video on the bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Working on that tonight. Still debating doing the Olympic and having that act as a benchmark for performance improvements each year or using that one to jump to a 70.3.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.gotrievents.com/...ach-bum-triathlon-1/

We've got a couple here in Hilton Head. Sand is pretty hard packed though so apparently a lot of people race their TT bikes - just moved here in December so can't comment on race quality.
Quote Reply
Re: All beach Triathlon [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet this guy would be down for an all-beach triathlon!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dam. I was trying to come up with a good idea for this.....shit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was that bike created for winter triathlon?

The Beach Bum triathlons on Hilton Head are super fun, usually well attended for what they are as well. I wouldn't ride a tri bike on the beach... too much sand. But skinny tires are okay. Just watch out for random holes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I produced the first all Fat bike beach triathlon and Duathlon on Wrightsville beach last October.

Small turnout but everyone had fun. Tough day for most.

https://setupevents.com/...ail&eventID=3065

Pictures can be found here

https://m.facebook.com/FatBikeMultiSport
Quote Reply
Re: All beach Triathlon [ansilbereisen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: All beach Triathlon [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakers wrote:
Tri Club of San Diego does an Aquathon with an Ocean Swim and sandy 5k ish at La Jolla Shores once a month from spring through fall.

It would be really difficult to add the bike portion there because of the amount of people that are enjoying the beach otherwise.

Riding bikes in sand is pretty hard too!

jake

Why is this forum all about the bike? Forget it. The tri club beach aquathlons are awesome. The surf entry/exit makes up for the bike, or post race pizza party on the beach ;)
Quote Reply
Re: All beach Triathlon [johnnyrockit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnyrockit wrote:
Was that bike created for winter triathlon?

The Beach Bum triathlons on Hilton Head are super fun, usually well attended for what they are as well. I wouldn't ride a tri bike on the beach... too much sand. But skinny tires are okay. Just watch out for random holes.

I'm from Hilton Head and have gone back for the Beach Bum a couple of times. First time I rode a Mtn bike...that was a mistake. Second time, I used a road bike with clip on bars. Much better and not an issue at all on the sand. Beach Bum is a great event, low key, and well organized.
Quote Reply