Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tacx Neo experiences? [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. October wrote:
Just following up on this thread . . hopefully the OP doesn't mind . .

I have a first generation Kickr which I have been VERY HAPPY with despite others complaints about power inaccuracies. My only problem with the Kickr is noise. I train very early in the morning and my wife complains bitterly that she listens to my entire ride. I am out in the garage, but the pitch and vibration go right through the slab.

Anyway, given the quiet reputation of the Tacx Neo Smart I'm thinking of switching .. . and quickly because there is a pretty good VIP sale at Clevertraining.com. Anyway, I primarily use Trainer Road to control the Kickr from my iPad or iPhone. I'm assuming I'd need an ANT+ stick to do so with the Tacx Neo. Correct?

Thanks for the help!

Apple products don't use ANT, they use bluetooth. I would think the neo should talk directly with your ipad/iphone via bluetooth with no further hardware required.
I'm still gun shy on Tacx VR trainers after my previous experiences with their imagic trainers and shoddy software/service. Hopefully things are better now. I know a few folks that have had Neo's fail on them, but I guess the same can be said for the odd kickr too.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Neo experiences? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Mr. October wrote:
Just following up on this thread . . hopefully the OP doesn't mind . .

I have a first generation Kickr which I have been VERY HAPPY with despite others complaints about power inaccuracies. My only problem with the Kickr is noise. I train very early in the morning and my wife complains bitterly that she listens to my entire ride. I am out in the garage, but the pitch and vibration go right through the slab.

Anyway, given the quiet reputation of the Tacx Neo Smart I'm thinking of switching .. . and quickly because there is a pretty good VIP sale at Clevertraining.com. Anyway, I primarily use Trainer Road to control the Kickr from my iPad or iPhone. I'm assuming I'd need an ANT+ stick to do so with the Tacx Neo. Correct?

Thanks for the help!

Apple products don't use ANT, they use bluetooth. I would think the neo should talk directly with your ipad/iphone via bluetooth with no further hardware required.
I'm still gun shy on Tacx VR trainers after my previous experiences with their imagic trainers and shoddy software/service. Hopefully things are better now. I know a few folks that have had Neo's fail on them, but I guess the same can be said for the odd kickr too.

Thanks. Do any of the Android devices speak ANT+? I didn't think so but perhaps I'm wrong. To be clear, when I use Zwift or Trainerroad with the Kickr the app controls the trainer. It looks like to match that functionality with the Neo I'd need the ANT+ Key and 30-pin to lightning adapter. That's about another $100.00 together.

Thanks for the feedback on your experience. I know in the past Tacx software was pretty wonky but I thought a lot of that revolved around their proprietary ANT protocols. It seems like that is better now but it is a bit alarming to see a lot of the problems people have had.

I'm also checking out the Elite Direto. It may do everything I need. I think the big thing with the Kickr is the belt noise. It is shrill. Especially generation 1.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Neo experiences? [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I'm a bit confused at what you are asking..

ANT and Bluetooth accomplish the same thing, communication. They communicate the same data.

Kickr's have both bluetooth and ANT, as do the NEO's.

If you are using an apple product to control your trainer via TR or Zwift, the apple product will communicate with either trainer via bluetooth automatically.

If you are using a windows computer, you either need an ANT stick or a bluetooth stick/dongle.

Android device - Might depend on what device and what operating system? I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab that has some version of Android on it, and it has both bluetooth and ANT built in. Seems to work with trainerroad, but for some reason the data doesn't track as smoothly as it does when using my macbook pro.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding your question.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Neo experiences? [bigredrude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll just add another piece of info which is often incorrectly stated about the Neo.

You can use it unplugged - also as a smart trainer.

I've been using mine for a while without it plugged in, ERG mode with Trainerroad, no issues.

Only thing you need to do is pedal during connection for the sensors to be active.

Really nice, imho.
Quote Reply

Prev Next