Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit Optional Wave: Worth the Late Start for a 1st Timer?
Quote | Reply
Im curious on everyone's thoughts on a rolling start HIM or IM that has a wetsuit optional wave. You get the later start, but the cutoff times are not adjusted. So for a BOP'er, would it be best to swim w/o the wetsuit or swim in the wetsuit wave and have less time for intermediate cutoffs? I dont know how long it takes for all the athletes to finish getting in the water in a rolling start.
Last edited by: Spartan420: Apr 24, 18 15:36
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Optional Wave: Worth the Late Start for a 1st Timer? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim in the wetsuit.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Optional Wave: Worth the Late Start for a 1st Timer? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way too many variables to answer, but the first question is assuming the water is too warm for a wetsuit legal race, how warm is it, and how warm is the morning/day supposed to be? I wore a wetsuit at Silverman 70.3 on a day they found some cold pocket and it was on the bubble. I regretted it from the first few minutes.

It is easy to get too hot, and set yourself up behind the 8 ball to start the day.

Other issues include biking and running abilities to meet the cutoffs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually each person has a set time from the tune they start. Say for an IM, the swim cutoff is 2:20. If you start first or last, if it takes you longer than 2:20, you get a DNF. I think the bike is 10:30 after you start the swim. Again, it's when you cross the mat. They may not pull you off the course if you started at the front and are still in the mix, but you get a DNF nook matter what.

As far as if you should, it depends on you and your confidence in your swimming. I swim well enough that for my first full, I dont want that caveat in my mind when thinking about it. If I didnt swim well, I would wear one as I wouldn't let that stop me from making the attempt if it is allowed.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Optional Wave: Worth the Late Start for a 1st Timer? [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
Usually each person has a set time from the tune they start. Say for an IM, the swim cutoff is 2:20. If you start first or last, if it takes you longer than 2:20, you get a DNF. I think the bike is 10:30 after you start the swim. Again, it's when you cross the mat. They may not pull you off the course if you started at the front and are still in the mix, but you get a DNF nook matter what.

As far as if you should, it depends on you and your confidence in your swimming. I swim well enough that for my first full, I dont want that caveat in my mind when thinking about it. If I didnt swim well, I would wear one as I wouldn't let that stop me from making the attempt if it is allowed.

In the IM I am doing, the athlete guide says the intermediate cutoff times on the bike will not be adjusted if there is a wetsuit optional wave. Actually, most of the ones I have read have said this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually the cutoffs in the bike and run aren't dependent on when you start. Your swim cutoff will almost always be when you start. So you'll get the full allotment, but it can mean you are "chasing" time cutoffs the rest of the day. But swimming in a wetsuit of a BOP athlete likely is far less taxing depending on the temps than without one.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Optional Wave: Worth the Late Start for a 1st Timer? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Usually the cutoffs in the bike and run aren't dependent on when you start. Your swim cutoff will almost always be when you start. So you'll get the full allotment, but it can mean you are "chasing" time cutoffs the rest of the day. But swimming in a wetsuit of a BOP athlete likely is far less taxing depending on the temps than without one.

"There is an intermediate cut-off at approximately 2:25 PM at the start of the second loop (Mile 58)"

" Athletes electing to start at this time (wetsuit optional wave) will still have 2 hours and 20 minutes to complete the swim course. All other course cut-off timelines will remain in place"
Last edited by: Spartan420: Apr 24, 18 16:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it is taking you close to 2:00 to do the Ironman swim, wgaf about all the nuiances, just do whatever is most comfortable for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Optional Wave: Worth the Late Start for a 1st Timer? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
If it is taking you close to 2:00 to do the Ironman swim, wgaf about all the nuiances, just do whatever is most comfortable for you.

Ha! I am not worried about the swim cutoff. My swim sucks, but I will swim it well under the cutoff. I am more worried about the bike. New terrain, possible mechanical problems or something like that. I want as much of a headstart on the intermediate bike cutoff time as possible. After that, I can enjoy the race.

Just wondering if there are any real time differences in starting a rolling start at 2:00/100yds versus a later wetsuit legal wave.
Quote Reply