Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

good, bad or stupid idea
Quote | Reply
I´ll be doing my first Ironman on July 29th in Hamburg, Germany and have been training on my Specialized Shiv which I´ve owned for the past year.

I am thinking about changing it and came across a Canyon Speedmax which could be delivered to me in Hamburg before the race.

The question (probably stupid one) is: would you get a bike fit one week before race day, take it for a short spin and race on it or should I just stick to my current bike?

Thnks.

Love the Pain!

Quito-Ecuador
Quote Reply
Re: good, bad or stupid idea [mpo_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you buy a new pair of untested shoes - try them on - run a mile or two - then wear them on in a marathon with no socks?

If yes, then speedmax. If no, then stick with the Shiv.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s a pretty loaded question. Part of it depends on how good your fit is now and can you get close on the new bike. If it’s a pretty similar fit, a bike is a bike. If it’s way different it may be hell using some muscles differently.

Also it depends on how long you’ve been racing and and training. I’d worry a lot less about it for someone who hasn’t been doing this for years. If this is your first Ironman and you only started training last year well that’s a different story.
Quote Reply
Re: good, bad or stupid idea [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. No, this is my third season. I´ve done 8 halfs but this is my first year training for Ironman.

The thing is, buying a bike here in Ecuador is expensive but overseas not so much, plus I save money on the first flight.

Love the Pain!

Quito-Ecuador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race the Shiv, since that is what you have been training on. Buy the Speedmax, since its cheaper, then sell the Shiv.
Quote Reply
Re: good, bad or stupid idea [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. That's a good point but then I would have to pay the airline fare for both bikes.

Love the Pain!

Quito-Ecuador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to race on the Canyon, get the Canyon. What I would do is take really good measurements of your existing bike so that you can duplicate the position on the new one, and when you travel take your old saddle with you. Use your old saddle rather than risk anything with a new one, and set up everything exactly as it was on the old bike.

That means being really sure that you CAN duplicate the same position on the new bike as you have on the Shiv.

No way in hell should you get a bike fit 1 week out from an IM.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 24, 18 11:40
Quote Reply
Re: good, bad or stupid idea [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That means being really sure that you CAN duplicate the same position on the new bike as you have on the Shiv. //

THIS^^^^. Put your butt and arms in the same exact spot on the new bike on the same saddle and you will be fine. And make sure the cranks are the same size too and try and get your setback to BB on your old bike to mimic it on the new bike too. Do all that and I would say you will hardly notice you are on a new bike, hopefully you are getting the right size to begin with?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mpo_tri wrote:
Yes. That's a good point but then I would have to pay the airline fare for both bikes.

I get what you're trying to do to save some money, but I'm not sure if it's worth the headaches.

I would maybe consider this if Canyon was willing to ship a bike you paid for the LBS of your choice in Germany. And said LBS was willing to build up your bike to your fit coordinates. Figure in some lead time so that the bike is delivered 2 weeks prior to your arrival, thus giving the LBS ample time to build even if there are shipping delays. That way your bike is ready to go before you land in Germany and you have time to make minor adjustments. If something goes wrong with delivery, you know before you leave Ecuador and know you have to bring your Shiv with you. I'm not even sure this is possible though given Canyon's model.

I would not consider this if Canyon forces you to pick up or physically sign for the bike on delivery. You're cutting it way too close and leaving yourself open to possible delays. Worst case scenario is that you find out the day you land in Germany that there is a delay on shipment of your Canyon and you don't have your Shiv with you. Not only do you not have a bike with you to race on, but what if the bike won't even be delivered to you while you are in Germany?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It could be done, but it pretty much needs to be done perfectly.
Quote Reply