Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: That Piece of Music [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Show Must Go On by Queen. Freddy Mercury was practically on his death bed when they recorded it. It was the last song on their last album.

by Frank Turner is a little more obscure, gets me every time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregtryin wrote:
mck414 wrote:
Thanks, and I have definitely found much more uplifting music. To this day, I'll crank the volume up as much as I can just south of distorting when Fade to Black comes on.

I do that with Thorogood's Who Do You Love. You wouldn't believe the looks I get as a 60ish year old guy in a 7-series rocking out at a stop light.
Greg

"I saw a Black Flag sticker on a Cadillac" sort of thing

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good Riddance by Green Day. During the Pre-game show for Super Bowl XXXII NBC did a piece about John Elway, Good Riddance was playing in the background. As it went on the line "I hope you have the time of your life" I changed it to I hope you have the game of your life. We now refer that as the Super Bowl song and has played during numerous significant times since, NBC played it prior to Super Bowl XXXIII, it was playing as my daughters Cheerleading Team earned a Paid Bid to the Cheerleading World Championships. I heard it on the radio November 7th 2017 while I was on my way home from work, when I got home my mom called to tell me my dad had passed away. DAMM this thread

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: That Piece of Music [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of Green Day ...

When D'Kid & I saw them last year, she had programmed the setlist into Spotify, and actually learned all the words to every song in the week before

Some reason "We Are The Waiting" really struck me ... As a LBGT teen, I kinda feel that she's far more on the outside of things than I'm comfortable with

But seeing a few thousand other "misfits" of one flavor or another, with their phones in the air, chanting together, I kinda teared up thinking "She's gonna be OK"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Warren Zevon's The Wind. He was given 6 months to live and started on the album and he lasted an additional year and a 1/2. Same with Bowie's Blackstar, only Dave didn't out live his prognosis. Both albums rip my heart out but I still haven't been able to give Dave's a really good, conscious listen. The Wind I've listened to many times and I can't make it through w/out tears. Warren covered Knockin on Heaven's Door and it was amazing. Better than Dylan. Yes it was. I get a little more heart broken for Warren b/c I feel like he should've been so much bigger, commercially, than he was.
Quote Reply
Re: That Piece of Music [Virginia Plain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Virginia Plain wrote:
I get a little more heart broken for Warren b/c I feel like he should've been so much bigger, commercially, than he was.

There's a thread for that, VP

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ut_weren't_P5314411/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregtryin wrote:
mck414 wrote:
Thanks, and I have definitely found much more uplifting music. To this day, I'll crank the volume up as much as I can just south of distorting when Fade to Black comes on.

I do that with Thorogood's Who Do You Love. You wouldn't believe the looks I get as a 60ish year old guy in a 7-series rocking out at a stop light. My kids claim I have damaged their hearing for the rest of their lives. Pfffft. So? It was worth it, huh?

Greg

I go to see Thorogood in concert Saturday.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregtryin wrote:
I hope we can all get away from the non-stop bickering about gun control, mass murders, Trump, and all of the other tired subjects for just one thread. Tonight, I wondered if others have the same sort of response to certain music or even words in a poem that just get to you and cause an emotional response you have a hard time controlling.

I have been an Eagles fan since high school in the 70's. They were the first big band I saw live and it was in Savannah, GA. They weren't yet a 'superband' and it was 1974, I think. It was the beginning of a love I shared with millions of others and every single song Glenn Frey wrote and/or sang stayed with me through several girlfriends, almost flunking out of college, and dozens of down times as I found my way in my 20's. In 2016, a month or so after his passing, I was on a commercial flight late one night after my earlier flight had been cancelled. I was seated next to a window on a crowded flight and decided to zone out with my iPhone and noise cancelling headphones. I was well ensconced in my own little world with my head back on the seat and eyes closed listening to shuffle played songs chosen at random. Then, I Dreamed There Was No War played. One of Glenn Frey's last works. The tears started flowing. I tried to be inconspicuous wiping my cheeks to avoid being that fully grown man weeping on row 19.

The only thing that is disappointing about this piece is that it is only about 90 seconds long. I kept getting a mental image of Glenn winking at the world on his way out knowing that he would be teasing us for eternity with this too short piece of instrumental beauty. For those that are not familiar with the piece, here is a link to an old fat, bald guy that does a quite respectable job of it and expands it at the same time. I think you will have to buy the album Long Road Out of Eden to hear the original.

watch

There is another somewhat obscure song done by John Denver that I have rediscovered in the past few months. Now, I can't listen to it because it cuts to the core of my relationship with my father. He and I have always been drawn together by our love for flight. He taught me to fly 40 years ago and even taught my son to fly in the same airplane in 2016. I have shared the sport of soaring with both of them and my son will finish his glider rating in a couple of weeks. John Denver also had a love for aviation and soaring and he wrote a song about his father (that was also a pilot) and his passing. With my Dad about to turn 87 years old, I can't listen to that song. Just can't.

Share that piece of music that draws an emotional response for you. Give us the back story about why it is special for you.

Greg

ETA: I guess I overlooked this original version of I Dreamed There Was No War on YouTube. Enjoy: watch

great thread. great question. and, if you're eagles and neil, we're brothers.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: That Piece of Music [Virginia Plain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that this necessarily follows the feel of the thread, but when I used to start my day with a yoga session, I put these two songs together

[but without the dialogue, of course]

Nice way to start the day

Quote Reply
Re: That Piece of Music [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
gregtryin wrote:
mck414 wrote:

I do that with Thorogood's Who Do You Love. You wouldn't believe the looks I get as a 60ish year old guy in a 7-series rocking out at a stop light. My kids claim I have damaged their hearing for the rest of their lives. Pfffft. So? It was worth it, huh?

Greg

I saw him in the late 70's, also in Savannah, GA. I was home from college and my buddy wanted to take me to a local bar to see this 'crazy band that has a guy that comes on stage with a Harley and then he has this big snake...' Sounded off the wall to me, but I went anyway because my buddy knew all the local girls and we usually made out well...

Anyway, that night didn't turn out so good. I hated the band, thought George Thorogood was some kind of idiot, ran into my ex-girlfriend with her new boyfriend, and got thrown out of the bar with a bloody nose trying to break up a fight my buddy started with some guy whose elbow he bumped too hard. Somehow, I came to the conclusion that that was how a night at a George Thorogood performance was supposed to be.

Every time I listen to a Thorogood song, I think about that night. Hope you have a great time too!

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: That Piece of Music [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amy Grant does that to me. First Christian artist I ever listened to.

Also "In the Light" by DC Talk.

Many Alison Krause songs bring a tear.

Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

I kinda wanted to see him but my wife turned her nose up at the idea and I never bothered to find someone to go with. Local show is sold out now. Are you coming up to Grand Rapids for the show?
Quote Reply
Re: That Piece of Music [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
Amy Grant does that to me. First Christian artist I ever listened to.

Also "In the Light" by DC Talk.

Many Alison Krause songs bring a tear.

It is funny you mention her. I read her wikipedia page a couple of days ago. I started out looking at someone else and then linked over to hers. You probably know this, but she is married to Vince Gill.
Quote Reply
Re: That Piece of Music [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
j p o wrote:

I kinda wanted to see him but my wife turned her nose up at the idea and I never bothered to find someone to go with. Local show is sold out now. Are you coming up to Grand Rapids for the show?

That is what StubHub is for.

Yeah. I wanted to see him before he pulled a Tom Petty on me. I was going to go see Petty again last year and decided against it.

And when I was looking at tickets they hadn't announced the date in Toledo. So we are making it a road trip.

Quote Reply
Re: That Piece of Music [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Vince can sing higher than her.

Re: That Piece of Music [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
I think Vince can sing higher than her.

Vince Neil can

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Yeah. I wanted to see him before he pulled a Tom Petty on me. I was going to go see Petty again last year and decided against it.

And when I was looking at tickets they hadn't announced the date in Toledo. So we are making it a road trip.

20 Monroe is a new venue that I have not been to yet. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Enjoy West Michigan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Thom wrote:
j p o wrote:

That is what StubHub is for.

Cira 1986 I saw him and John Elway play in an Old Timer baseball game in Denver. Even funnier than seeing Bad to the Bone George playing baseball was the woman in front of us that said loudly "Who is John Elway"?

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: That Piece of Music [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
Who is John Elway"?

Well, to her defense, in 1986 Elway hadn't started losing Super Bowls yet

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to be the dick and point out that Johnny Cash covered Nine Inch Nails on Hurt. It is an awesome song and I think means a lot as it came out shortly after June Carter passed away on not long before he died. It was recorded before all of that, but a very powerful song and cover.

https://www.independent.co.uk/...l-time-a6683371.html

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: That Piece of Music [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:
I am going to be the dick and point out that Johnny Cash covered Nine Inch Nails on Hurt. It is an awesome song and I think means a lot as it came out shortly after June Carter passed away on not long before he died. It was recorded before all of that, but a very powerful song and cover.

https://www.independent.co.uk/...l-time-a6683371.html

Notice I distinctly said Johnny Cash - Hurt. NIN's version doesn't do the same thing for me. Their's is more creepy, Cash's is more old man regretting life's decisions.

I actually prefer 2 Cellos version of Hurt to NIN's.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything NIN is creepyish.

Had to open iTunes to see if I had the 2 Cellos version, and I do, so now I am listening to that.

My list is:

Alice in Chains - Rooster "Ain't killed me yet"

Periphery - Parade of Ashes, we are what you made us type anthem

Mudvayne - King of Pain, this was my anthem while recovering from knee surgery with a broken wrist and blown up shoulder

Metallica - Hero of the Day, pumps me up

Green Day - Longview, listened to this a lot during my parent's divorce, I was broken 4th grader...

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply

Prev Next