Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike fit issues?
Quote | Reply
So I went to see someone recently to have my running ‘analysed’. I had expected a one off session, but that wasn’t what I got at all.

My running was looked at yes, but he said instead of just saying go away and run like this I needed to work on specific strength and muscle activation etc. Then I’d come back and see what happened. I did this and it was great to see the changes. Then I had more ‘homework’ and back in a few weeks.

He also mentioned that he was considering bike fitting as he felt the same thing should be applied there. I.e. none of these £200 all in one fits that fits you at THAT time, but rather how you can work on the right strengthening etc. To be able to best work with the bike.

Cost wise it would come to the same, so it’s not like it would be trying to get extra business.

It struck me as how often have we seen fits on here that people have had done but aren’t happy with or find out 2 weeks later they can’t hold outside?

Seemed like a good idea to me, what do others think? Is this guy barking up the wrong tree?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit issues? [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly what we need. More bike fitters without a fucking clue.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit issues? [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How so?
Not questioning I’m just interested, seemed quite a good idea!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What state are you in?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit issues? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I’m currently in the UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is probably going to turn into a rant/argument about what bike fitting really is. It's a very confusing cottage industry. I can only share my perspective.

My bike fit philosophy is very body-focused: for my base fit service, the initial session includes about an hour or so of initial warm-up on the bike/interview/coming up with a plan of attack and off-the-bike body analysis before we get on the bike to start actually making any changes. Initial fit sessions are usually 2 1/2 hours or more, plus the base service includes a free follow-up, and an optional free component test session if the rider feels there is value in a new saddle, cockpit, cranks, etc. This process usually spans over a month or more. I treat bike fitting as a partnership and try hard to ensure that people aren't in the situation that you describe where they feel good initially but can't sustain the position. I get a lot of customers who have been to other fitters in the area that experience exactly that.

In line with your point, I've recently redesigned my advanced service to put much more emphasis on the body analysis. Beyond just accommodation, we are now looking at how we can improve the body with some work off the bike. With this service, the initial fit is similar to the base service, but with an FMS screen and they get an online functional workout plan tuned to their needs. We then get together every 2 weeks or so for dedicated functional sessions focused on the rider's deficiencies, along with an online-accessible workout, and then tidy up the fit at 6 weeks.

The amount of dysfunction I see in triathletes is alarming. So much emphasis is about getting in the swim/bike/run time prescribed in a training plan that we overlook the other aspects of human performance that keep us healthy and prevent injury. It's amazing what a little bit of foam rolling or a few key exercises can do. We've seen some really good results so far, and it's generally 10-15 minutes a day, with minimal equipment. It puts the onus on the rider a bit - they need to want to do that work off the bike and trust that it will improve the ride.

So, with all that said - I can appreciate the perspective that you've encountered here. They may be oversimplifying it a bit, but I like that they are taking this from a different perspective.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply