Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A Perfect Circle - Eat the Elephant
Quote | Reply
This somehow snuck up on me but APC's new album "Eat the Elephant" came out the other day. Long flight (Chi/Seattle) yesterday so downloaded to check out along the way as I really enjoy most of Maynard's work. Over a 4 hour flight I probably listened to it for 50% of the time.

I've found that APC usually leans more Tool-ish in it's sound but it's certainly now more Puscifer-ish (if you're unfamiliar with Maynard James Keenan he heads up all 3 bands). Politically/socially charged lyrics without really being in your face about and delivered in a really melodic and atmospheric way. My only gripe is I would have liked at least one track that sounded more like Tool than Puscifer.

Best APC album in my opinion and I can see many of the tracks being amazing in a concert setting. Check it out if this type of music is your jam.
Quote Reply
Re: A Perfect Circle - Eat the Elephant [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the review. I was surfing through iTunes this morning and saw it, but didn't take a listen, yet.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Listened to the first five or so songs the other day. Pretty solid. I haven't heard anything similar to Judith or any of the other hard-driving rock songs from APC's earlier work, but they may be further back in the album. I never expected much from the band one way or the other, as side projects tend to be a major step down from the parent product, but APC had some very strong songs on those first two albums that didn't just make me wish I were listening to Tool.

The cartoonish gothy cover art is a real turn-off, though. It's not interesting or clever.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: A Perfect Circle - Eat the Elephant [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Thanks for the review. I was surfing through iTunes this morning and saw it, but didn't take a listen, yet.

It's certainly different than their prior work. Interesting to see the progression of the sound over the past decade or so of silence. Makes me wonder what the new Tool album will sound like..from what I have heard so far it's still "Tool" so looking forward to some progression there but also with the solid Tool sound.

I really like 6 of the tracks (out of 11). That's a really high percentage for me on any album generally speaking.

IMO "Hourglass" kicks some serious ass, or rather is the most ass kicking song on this collection.
Quote Reply
Re: A Perfect Circle - Eat the Elephant [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Listened to the first five or so songs the other day. Pretty solid. I haven't heard anything similar to Judith or any of the other hard-driving rock songs from APC's earlier work, but they may be further back in the album. I never expected much from the band one way or the other, as side projects tend to be a major step down from the parent product, but APC had some very strong songs on those first two albums that didn't just make me wish I were listening to Tool.

The cartoonish gothy cover art is a real turn-off, though. It's not interesting or clever.

Yeah..you won't find anything comparable to Judith here (one of my all time APC favorites BTW). Closest you'll find is "Hourglass" (track 8 or 9 so you likely have not gotten there yet) but that is more Puscifer rock driven vs Tool rock driven if that makes sense. What I find interesting (on a handful of the tracks) is how aggressive his voice is over somewhat mellow songs. Really dig it. His voice has certainly held up over the years. Over the past year or so I've seen APC, Puscifer, and Tool live..his voice sounded incredible in all 3 so I'm fairly certain it's not getting cleaned up in the studio etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really growing on me yet.

Saw APC (and Tool) last year and the APC show was one of the best, tightest shows I've ever seen and I had high hopes for the new album. Unfortunately, it just seems to be missing a certain 'APC-ishness', or something. I do like "The Doomed", "Disillusioned", "Hourglass" and "Feathers" so maybe the rest will just take time.

Hopefully the new Tool album (when it finally sees the light of day) lives up to the wait.

Related.. if you haven't seen MJK's "Art of Work" series on YouTube it's worth a watch. Pretty cool seeing how into his winemaking he is. Guy is living a pretty cool life.
Quote Reply
Re: A Perfect Circle - Eat the Elephant [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I'll check out Art of Work. On another related note we went to a viewing of his documentary "Blood into Wine" years back in Chicago which he hosted. If you have not seen it it's worth your time. 3 people got tossed for using the flashed on their phone cameras.

I'm really hopeful for the new Tool album and believe it's going to be great. Going purely off the very limited amount of new sounds that they have performed live (clips on youtube of it as well).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The Doomed" is a really happy-go-lucky song.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: A Perfect Circle - Eat the Elephant [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
"The Doomed" is a really happy-go-lucky song.

They just need to record it in a major key.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just saw they're the musical guest on Kimmel tonight.
Quote Reply
Re: A Perfect Circle - Eat the Elephant [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Just saw they're the musical guest on Kimmel tonight.

Appreciate the heads up. Past my bedtime (and no cable) so I'll track it down on the YouTubes tomorrow.
Quote Reply