Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training sessions on fried legs
Quote | Reply
So my A race marathon is in 8 weeks and I’m doing a long run of about 20 miles on the weekends. So th next 2ish days, my legs are pretty fried. I’m wondering what kind of workouts I should be doing those days, since I’m also doing tris. I do a long (mostly pull buoy lol) swim the day after, but what about bike workouts? Just do easy spins, or would it help to do shorter hard workouts on tired legs?
Quote Reply
Re: Training sessions on fried legs [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does your training plan / coach say?

To be honest, if you have a "A race" stand alone Marathon planned, surely the best thing is to back off Tri Training and be run specific.

As an idea, what about some Strength and Conditioning instead of more running?
Quote Reply
Re: Training sessions on fried legs [Race1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t have a coach. And my legs can’t handle that much running. My biggest week ever is 50 miles 😬. So I think the biking and swimming help the fitness while taking it easy on the legs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m no elite runner but when I’ve run marathons my plans never had runs longer than 20 miles and that was closer to the end of the program and not 8 weeks out. I would just do easy spinning if your legs are sore two days out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can only tell you what I do. If it is the long run, and legs are fried, I'd cancel it. Long runs never work out on fried legs. Instead I'd do a short easy run, or spin easy on the bike. Then next day just an easy swim, or easy spin, and if legs are still heavy then go easy one more day. That's usually enough.

If it is a short run, and legs are fried, I suck it up and do it, and again go easy next day or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What works for me is an easy 1 hr. spin the day after. HR not much above 100 - dead easy. I find it loosens my legs up and then I’m ready to run again on day two.

The day two run is a medium distance run. Usually 2/3 the distance of my long run and at a similar Pace as the long run. Nothing too taxing.

Good luck with your race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How fast are you running the long run that it fries you for that long? Slow it down a bit might be better advice than working around a session that takes that much out of you..
Quote Reply