Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Home Gym/Office + kids play room recs & questions about best wall hanging bike storage
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone, we are about to move into a new house that has a three stall garage. It's San Diego, so we don't need to park the cars inside as it has a big driveway. I have been given the green light by the wife to convert one stall of the garage into a home gym/personal office, while the other two stalls we are planning on making into an epic play room for the kids. A couple questions.

1. Recommendations on hanging bike wall storage. I have seen some that are like a ceiling hoist that pulls the bike up - anyone with experience with these? Was thinking that the more flush against the wall the better as it'll leave more space in the room.
Also any wall mounts that you found great would be appreciated.

2. Reading through the "pain cave" thread it appears lots of people approved of the horse stall mats for rubberized gym flooring. I know the odor can be an issue with these. Any other rubberized flooring that people have had a positive experience with? Or just go with the horse stall mats?

3. Anyone who has built an epic kids play room, feel free to post pictures and give advice. We have even considered an indoor climbing wall? Just want a fun, safe play and hang out area for our kids to be the awesome and hilariously crazy people they are. (We have a 4 and 1 year old - 4 year old already climbs....) Happy to hear about anything that people have built for their kids, or wish they did. Also, what do you think ideal flooring for a kids play room would be? Still rubberized horse stall mats?

4. Considering a stand up desk. Preferable one that also lowers so you could sit at as well. Any recs?
Quote Reply
Re: Home Gym/Office + kids play room recs & questions about best wall hanging bike storage [miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For wall mounts I’ve always liked these: Cycloc Hero - Elegant Wall Mount Bike Storage Rack - Black https://www.amazon.com/...cp_api_tkh3AbN04MAYJ

Simple and elegant. The ceiling rack is good option if your garage is tall enough. However if it’s not then they may hang too low to give you room to walk around.

For the playroom, our second living room in our house is a dedicated playroom. Our kid is younger (2yr) but we went with the foam tiles for the flooring (laid them down over the wood floors). They’re nice because they’re softer which was great when he was learning to walk to make falls softer. Even now it’s great for rolling around on the floor with him as it’s much softer than the bare wood.

If your kids are older the cheap ones may not be durable enough. But I would think putting down something that is dura me but has some give would be good.
Quote Reply
Re: Home Gym/Office + kids play room recs & questions about best wall hanging bike storage [miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you have something other than a concrete slab, why even bother with a horse mat? Usually those are for sound deadening or protecting carpet/wood floors.
Quote Reply