Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How big is your spleen?
Quote | Reply
Fascinating article on modern-day evolution among sea-dwellers. The article also touches on research (that I don't understand) on mutations that affect the dive reflex (what happens when you put your face in cold water), that might possibly relate to swim deaths in triathlons.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: How big is your spleen? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that, I find these studies and theories very interesting. I have always postulated that a population can really make adaptations that are handed down in a lot shorter time than we used to believe. I once had it in my head that there must be a people that have lived high for many generations, and they must have huge HCT%'s.

I found them, men approaching 60% and women over 50+%. It had dawned on me that if these were the end of the bell curve, then there must be many towards that end, naturally. I suppose this was the very reason that the old 50% auto DQ that used to determine cyclists and other pro athletes was changed. I knew this because I actually knew people over 50 naturally, and my own graph would pop over at times when I spent long times at altitude. Now you just have to show it is normal for you with a longish history of being over 50%. Pretty hard to do if you are doping, too much variation, and of course most of those drugs can be detected.

That is why old fashioned blood doping has come back, much harder if not impossible to detect, but with a long passport history it is a tricky thing to keep consistent.

Anyway one of these days when it gets a lot cheaper and more reliable, I want to get one of these DNA tests and be able to compare it to all of these types of studies that are coming out about traits through selection..
Quote Reply
Re: How big is your spleen? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is interesting. I have to see the haemetologist fairly regularly, he knows what I'm doing for sport and he commented just last week that I'm sitting just off the EPO test limit. If I'm there, I'm sure a lot of others are sitting around 50%
Quote Reply