Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The irony of calling other people "slimeball"
Quote | Reply
Liar, fraud, snake oil salesman, carnival barker, POTUS.

Trump lied to me about his wealth to get onto the Forbes 400. Here are the tapes.

Quote:
In May 1984, an official from the Trump Organization called to tell me how rich Donald J. Trump was. I was reporting for the Forbes 400, the magazine’s annual ranking of America’s richest people, for the third year. In the previous edition, we’d valued Trump’s holdings at $200 million, only one-fifth of what he claimed to own in our interviews. This time, his aide urged me on the phone, I needed to understand just how loaded Trump really was.

The official was John Barron — a name we now know as an alter ego of Trump himself. When I recently rediscovered and listened, for first time since that year, to the tapes I made of this and other phone calls, I was amazed that I didn’t see through the ruse: Although Trump altered some cadences and affected a slightly stronger New York accent, it was clearly him. “Barron” told me that Trump had taken possession of the business he ran with his father, Fred. “Most of the assets have been consolidated to Mr. Trump,” he said. “You have down Fred Trump [as half owner] . . . but I think you can really use Donald Trump now.” Trump, through this sockpuppet, was telling me he owned “in excess of 90 percent” of his family’s business. With all the home runs Trump was hitting in real estate, Barron told me, he should be called a billionaire.

At the time, I suspected that some of this was untrue. I ran Trump’s assertions to the ground, and for many years I was proud of the fact that Forbes had called him on his distortions and based his net worth on what I thought was solid research.

But it took decades to unwind the elaborate farce Trump had built to project an image as one of the richest people in America. Nearly every assertion supporting that claim was untrue. Trump wasn’t just poorer than he said he was. Over time I have learned that he should not have been on the first three Forbes 400 lists at all. In our first-ever list, in 1982, we included him at $100 million, but Trump was actually worth roughly $5 million — a paltry sum by the standards of his super-monied peers — as a spate of government reports and books showed only much later.

The audio is simply amazing. Imagine the alternate universe one must inhabit to think this is reasonable behavior.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: The irony of calling other people "slimeball" [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Imagine the alternate universe one must inhabit to think this is reasonable behavior.

A lot of people in America do inhabit that alternative universe including a number here. It is bizarre to say the least.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fake news!

And then Trump named his son "Barron," after his phony alter-ego. How appropriate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TDS!!!!

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
None of this is new and/or shocking.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read that this morning. It says all you need to know about Trump.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: The irony of calling other people "slimeball" [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

You're so reliable in your role in providing the detached, blase critique of a thread! I imagine you dressed up like The Cure, acting bored all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy crap. Trump said something wrong ~34 years ago. Alert the media, this is breaking news!

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The irony of calling other people "slimeball" [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
BLeP wrote:

You're so reliable in your role in providing the detached, blase critique of a thread! I imagine you dressed up like The Cure, acting bored all the time.

Quote Reply
Re: The irony of calling other people "slimeball" [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Holy crap. Trump said something wrong ~34 years ago. Alert the media, this is breaking news!

You know that's a completely bullshit representation of what this story alleges, right?

"Said something wrong" is not equal to "Faked a name and voice to falsely represent himself as a reporter/researcher in an effort to lie about his own net worth so he could stroke his ego by moving up on a ranking of rich guys."

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: The irony of calling other people "slimeball" [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never mind that being included on that list almost certainly conveys a financial advantage on his business that apparently was undeseved. Never mind the individual who he displaced from the list who probably earned that distinction and financial benefits.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Never mind that being included on that list almost certainly conveys a financial advantage on his business that apparently was undeseved. Never mind the individual who he displaced from the list who probably earned that distinction and financial benefits.

All of this is true. Are you shocked? Trump is who he is. And despite that, you idiots elected him El Presidente.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

You know that's a completely bullshit representation of what this story alleges, right?

"Said something wrong" is not equal to "Faked a name and voice to falsely represent himself as a reporter/researcher in an effort to lie about his own net worth so he could stroke his ego by moving up on a ranking of rich guys."

Quite. It also puts a rather different complexion on his current day claims of wealth and net worth, where his personal and corporate borrowings are from, his refusal to release his tax records, and his refusal to put Trump Corp under the control of a blind trust.

Still, nice to see from the Comey memos that the redacted name of the first world leader to ring him to congratulate him on the election win is exactly the same size as the word "Putin". Whodoathunkit?
Quote Reply
Re: The irony of calling other people "slimeball" [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
I read that this morning. It says all you need to know about Trump.

And good many of his supporters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not any more bullshitty than caring that someone (Trump or other) lies about their net worth circa 3 decades ago and calling it news. If the forum focused on current events on the Trump administration, there’d be no animosity towards the bs

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy crap. Trump said something wrong ~34 years ago.

That is supposed to be in pink, right?

Quote Reply
Re: The irony of calling other people "slimeball" [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
sphere wrote:

All of this is true. Are you shocked? Trump is who he is. And despite that, you idiots elected him El Presidente.

Yeah, well, someone had to drain the swamp of all those dishonest self-serving unscrupulous scumbags in Washington something something maga maga.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somewhere in a deep bunker near Pyongyang, Kim Jung Il is saying to himself, "Wait a second! John Barron? That's the name of my secret American spy that just called to say that Trump is planning on nuking the crap out of me!"
Last edited by: SH: Apr 20, 18 8:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
BLeP wrote:
sphere wrote:

Yeah, well, someone had to drain the swamp of all those dishonest self-serving unscrupulous scumbags in Washington something something maga maga.

Yup. And for some reason you idiots chose this ass clown.

Trump is a lying piece of shit. "But he's telling me what I want to hear so I will vote for him!!! MAGA!!! KILL THE JEWS AND FAGS AND RAGHEADS!!!"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did anyone else hear the audio and think it sounded like the guy on Apprentice that was his attorney - I think his name is George something or another? It didn’t sound like Trump but sounds like something he would order be done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Not any more bullshitty than caring that someone (Trump or other) lies about their net worth circa 3 decades ago and calling it news. If the forum focused on current events on the Trump administration, there’d be no animosity towards the bs

You haven't been around the LR long if you think sticking to current events would eliminate the animosity.

Accurately represent events and news. That's all I ask. Whether or not the story, which was just newly reported today, is interesting to you or not, don't make up some bullshit characterization of it.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply