Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Slowtwitch for rowing?
Quote | Reply
Is there such a thing? I've long had an interest in taking up rowing but have no idea where to start. I think I live in an area that would be really good for it but I'm not aware of much of a rowing community. Any suggestions on where to start?
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch for rowing? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C2Forum is the only one I've found http://www.c2forum.com/index.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rowingillustrated.com and http://www.reddit.com/r/Rowing/ .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I realize your interest is in rowing, and I apologize for a tangent, but I am compelled to throw in a plug for Stand-Up Paddle board.

I bought an entry level board and a world class carbon fiber paddle last summer. I loved every second on the board. Upper body strength, cardio, some basic yoga poses, and balance practice as I age. A 1hr. trail run prior to an hour SUP, and a fall-off-rinse was by far my favorite session all summer/fall.

Ease of transport, care, cost and storage all nominal... I'm already looking at a board upgrade.

Give it some thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch for rowing? [BIKE3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BIKE3 wrote:
I realize your interest is in rowing, and I apologize for a tangent, but I am compelled to throw in a plug for Stand-Up Paddle board.

I bought an entry level board and a world class carbon fiber paddle last summer. I loved every second on the board. Upper body strength, cardio, some basic yoga poses, and balance practice as I age. A 1hr. trail run prior to an hour SUP, and a fall-off-rinse was by far my favorite session all summer/fall.

Ease of transport, care, cost and storage all nominal... I'm already looking at a board upgrade.

Give it some thought.

Why did you go with "an entry level board and a world class carbon fiber paddle" and not the other way around?

-------------
"Life is fragile - we are all just a slip or a car crash away from being a very different person."
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch for rowing? [BIKE3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How good a workout is SUP really? Does a regular paddle get the HR up to the sort of levels that you see for cycling, running or swimming? It looks pretty low intensity compared to what you can do rowing/kayaking, but that could just be that most of the people I see doing it aren't really pushing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.usrowing.org/find-club/

Get yourself down to a club. Nearly all rowers are members of a club, and nearly all clubs will be pretty welcoming to novices. There's an active vets racing scene so no real age limiters on when you can start. Best time of year to start is the autumn as that's when the winter training starts which gives you the winter to master basic technique, build some fitness and get in a crew for summer racing (winter racing is head races which are longer time trial type events, summer is shorter, side by side racing). But if you just want to have a go and see if you like it then go along now and I'm sure they'll accommodate you.

If there are no clubs in your area but there's a good stretch of calm, navigable water then there's nothing stopping you from buying a single scull and getting out there. But without access to coaching you're going to struggle to master the technique, so kayaking or SUP might be a better option.
Quote Reply