Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Democrats Gentrification Problem
Quote | Reply
Interesting piece in the NY Times today. We've touched on San Fran housing policy in threads before. While Seattle doesn't really have a NIMBY problem to the level of SF the central core is definitely gentrifying.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/19/opinion/democrats-gentrification-cities-voters.html

Quote Reply
Re: Democrats Gentrification Problem [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love it when people post articles without a proper link and that are behind a pay wall.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Apr 19, 18 13:00
Quote Reply
Re: Democrats Gentrification Problem [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I love it when people post articles without a proper link and that are behind a pay wall.

I don't know what you're talking about. I could read the whole thing. I particularly enjoyed this bit:

"You have reached your limit of free articles."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

The link works for me and I am not a subscriber of the New York Times. I sincerely apologize. Well, not sincerely.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does this help ease the pain at all?

https://www.nytimes.com/...n-cities-voters.html[/font]
Quote Reply
Re: Democrats Gentrification Problem [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
BLeP wrote:

I don't know what you're talking about. I could read the whole thing. I particularly enjoyed this bit:

Subscribe to a newspaper. Haven't you heard, hedge funds are ruining journalism.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Upscale liberal whites “who consider themselves committed to racial justice” tend to be “NIMBYists when it comes to their neighborhoods,” Cain wrote, “not living up to their affordable housing commitments and resisting apartment density around mass transportation stops.”

Limousine liberals are an interesting breed. I have often wondered how much time it takes to keep those glass houses clean.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couldn't read the article either, but I got the jist from the responses. I found it hilarious that in my little town/suburb of Charlotte, one of the most annoyingly vocal morally superior libs in our town that constantly spouts off about racial inequality, gentrification, income inequality, etc. found out just last week that a section of the Carolina Thread (a project to create a bikeway/pedestrian walkway) that runs through the Carolinas all of the way to Virginia is going to pass right in front of HER house. She is livid. Absolutely priceless. Can't stop harping about the loss of value to her home and 'all of the traffic' right in front of her house and I can't stop chuckling about it.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
BLeP wrote:

The link works for me and I am not a subscriber of the New York Times. I sincerely apologize. Well, not sincerely.

He meant that you didn't make it a hot link. All you have to do is hit <return> after pasting the link to make it "hot"
Quote Reply
Re: Democrats Gentrification Problem [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Upscale liberal whites “who consider themselves committed to racial justice” tend to be “NIMBYists when it comes to their neighborhoods,” Cain wrote, “not living up to their affordable housing commitments and resisting apartment density around mass transportation stops.”

Limousine liberals are an interesting breed. I have often wondered how much time it takes to keep those glass houses clean.

Anecdotally it seems that the level of NIMBYism is strongest in Berkeley. Its almost impossible to get something built there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty much at the center of this issue. Having looked at a lot of other cheaper areas, the problem isn't merely greater NIMBYism in richer areas, but that NIMBY-ism in conjunction with lots of wealth and economic activity exacerbates geographical and economic trends. There are just as many depressed areas and a whole lot of conservative areas with strict rules and HOA's and zoning as a way of maintaining a neighborhood, it just doesn't create extraordinary housing shortages and real estate bubbles. BTW, there is more residential construction here (Menlo Park/Facebook) than there has been in a generation, and it is simply insufficient to ever keep up with demand. Opposition to even more growth is reliably pushed by environmentalists, moderates and Republicans (Hence the demise of SB 827, which would have opened up housing). In the end there is definitely tension between the wings of the Democratic party, but the GOP has absolutely no viable solution, except to point at the other side.

BTW, do you live in Berkeley? Do you support more residential building, and how much?
Last edited by: oldandslow: Apr 20, 18 10:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having lived in the largest city in the U.S. without zoning, I can understand NIMBY. We have to rely on HOAs to keep people from turning the house next door into a restaurant or a repair shop. I'm not a fan of zoning but I'm also not a fan of no zoning. Every solution has a wart.
Quote Reply
Re: Democrats Gentrification Problem [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Open it in an incognito tab.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think gentrification is awesome -- turn a shitty neighborhood into a nice one. I guess that makes me a bad person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
JSA wrote:

Anecdotally it seems that the level of NIMBYism is strongest in Berkeley. Its almost impossible to get something built there.

I think Boulder would give Berkeley a run for their money.

While people are freaking out about affordable housing they just bought the historic poor house and it’s large plot of land for more open space...

All of the new yuppies are complaining that legal weed has caused the homeless problem. There have always been slacker weed smokers in Boulder. They just used to be able to rent a walk in closet before the likes of Google moved in and drove average home prices over a million.
Quote Reply
Re: Democrats Gentrification Problem [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
Having lived in the largest city in the U.S. without zoning, I can understand NIMBY. We have to rely on HOAs to keep people from turning the house next door into a restaurant or a repair shop. I'm not a fan of zoning but I'm also not a fan of no zoning. Every solution has a wart.

Interesting. What city?
Quote Reply
Re: Democrats Gentrification Problem [velox canis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Houston.
Quote Reply